Mar 8, 2012
enfield, mid north london
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
Hi all,
Have only posted a couple of times, as although been a member a while, just downsized from RVOC,having lived in RV for 9 years full time and although had the new van a year now and got it all up to how we want it, as all, not been able to get out much to try out.
We are now with a lwb transit, a major step down to be sure (RV had the all singing satellite sky tv with about 600 channels)

Saying that we dont tend to watch tv much, but is always handy if stuck indoors for weather or something special to watch.
so we have purchased a LG smart tv with Freeview etc and an indoor Ariel, which works ok, as tv fixed but a bit of a faff having to get Ariel leads and plug/ sockets out every time and then try and find where Ariel needs to be to get picture !
we have from where tv is situated easy access to the roof, now, I have to be honest as a confirmed technophobe sometimes lose the will to live reading some of your technical explanations, I love reading them and then think, I really have no idea what I’ve just read:unsure: !
so to have a more fixed solution ?
we have 240 hook up also large inverter with 2 leisure batteries, so guess that’s not a problem eh !
we only want to watch tv, nothing else fancy, just be able to get a good signal when there is one.
cost is not a priority, rather a good working result, so do we go for an outdoor fixed Ariel on the roof, or what are these gizmos you talk about that you can have inside the van.
Again, I’m not lazy I have trawled the internet and forums looking at Ariels and other contraptions, but not really much further advanced.
are the any electrical engineers willing to give me their hard worked for advice please.
I will not be attempting to do any of the work myself unless it’s pretty basic ie, plugs and sockets as hate electrics with a passion.
can I thank anybody in advance for answering my post.

let’s stay safe keep the right side of the grass and hope to see a few out and about later on this year.
regards
Grumpy

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Our van has an omnidirectional aerial on the roof which stays still. All we do in the uk is tune the tv when we stop, & it picks up what there is. We do have a mifi, data plan & a Firestick for when there is little or no signal though. Extremely easy to set up initially (we have blu tac the MiFi to the window, so don’t need an antenna), use a Vodafone 100gb data plan (£20 per month), & the tv powers the Firestick. This setup has served us well in Europe when we could travel 🧳!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
grumpyjock
Mar 8, 2012
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
Our van has an omnidirectional aerial on the roof which stays still. All we do in the uk is tune the tv when we stop, & it picks up what there is. We do have a mifi, data plan & a Firestick for when there is little or no signal though. Extremely easy to set up initially (we have blu tac the MiFi to the window, so don’t need an antenna), use a Vodafone 100gb data plan (£20 per month), & the tv powers the Firestick. This setup has served us well in Europe when we could travel 🧳!

OP
OP
grumpyjock
Mar 8, 2012
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
we used our phones as hotspots for internet on laptops and iPads is that the same as for the Mini, or do you have to take out another data plan just for that ?
thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we used our phones as hotspots for internet on laptops and iPads is that the same as for the Mini, or do you have to take out another data plan just for that ?
thanks.
Just use the phone as a hot-spot and link whatever tv/stick to the phone.
Bare in mind, streaming TV is quite heavy on data so you'll need a phone plan with lots of data.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Data use is about 1gb per hour. You can tether from your phone to a Firestick if you have enough data. 😀

OP
OP
grumpyjock
Mar 8, 2012
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
Well as always on both sites I always go away a “little” bit more edumakated, and thank you all for your responses.
I think the omnidirectional external Ariel is our way to go, we live a lot of the time in North Norfolk and so are used to signals disappearing half way through a nail biting thriller !!!.
regards
Grumpy👹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well as always on both sites I always go away a “little” bit more edumakated, and thank you all for your responses.
I think the omnidirectional external Ariel is our way to go, we live a lot of the time in North Norfolk and so are used to signals disappearing half way through a nail biting thriller !!!.
regards
Grumpy👹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
You would be better to fit a directional aerial you will get a much stronger signal.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
A simple solution that I've used for about 7 years:

It is also possible to use a USB/mains aerial booster on these for low signal areas:

Amazon product ASIN B07G3QVQXS
Hope this helps

OP
OP
grumpyjock
Mar 8, 2012
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
Well had a think, picked a few more brains and plumped for the nexvoc ant 536 with the signal booster amplifier.
so small and simple which was a good start, a lot less wires, just mains and Ariel !
at present were in High Barnet, North London, highest point in London but with the worst tv Ariel signal ever, in the houses.
so parked outside and have got about 30 channels more than the house tv and picture a lot clearer.
so will have to see what it’s like when we’re travelling around.
obviously you’ll only get a signal where’s there’s a signal.
so anyways bit of feedback and thanks for listening.
Grumpy

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
This video by a favorite YouTube full time van person shows a great way to get internet. Only made this week so info is up to date. I'll be using the Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 receiver he recommends, along with the Huawei router. The other router, a more modern one he recommends is out of my budget but the Huawei is much more affordable. I plan to install this before I go semi full time for my return to university in September. 🤞

Really excellent video on internet in a van:

For Tv I'd do this. Receiver is about £10. Nice and easy. He's in a boat but it's all the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grumpyjock
Mar 8, 2012
Funster No
MH
rv A class
Exp
since 2007
Funny I was just reading your posts about inverters, spooky eh !
same as you we don’t really watch that much and it’s a just in case really.
as for internet etc. We lived in RV for 9 years and got along fine with using our mobiles as hotspots. If we needed to use WiFi for any reason just waited till we was at one of our families. Was never a problem.
Excellent video by the way CJ.
Grumpy

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I did a back to back test on the August vs Necvox aerials

The August received only half of the channels that the Necvox did - with the Necvox showing higher signal strength & signal quality

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back