How to power the van at rallies ? (1 Viewer)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
How do people manage to go 5-7 days at a rally with no electric hook up ? Some of the events from the past look amazing but I wonder how we would survive for a few days . If I didn’t want to use solar, could I just take a few extra leisure batteries and change when needed ?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Solar is it then . I was worried about the fitting and drilling on the roof but maybe a portable panel would work ?

Glue it with sikaflex!

Plenty of threads on fitting them on here.

Portable are useful in that you can track the sun. That’s where the advantages end though, storage, theft, faff, I would much rather mine be on the roof.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Janine beat me to it. Why would you Not want to use solar. Fit and forget.
A second battery is the first investment in my opinion, doubles your capacity. Then add a panel. Most rallies are spring to autumn so

you have the ability to charge, unless you have a seriously poor week.
DIY is not that hard if cash is an issue, lots of info on here and YouTube is full of details. 👍

In summer you don't use much with the lighter nights and in the morning while your lying in bed the batteries are charging 👍

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No idea how long we can last on solar and batteries as we don't tend to stay anywhere longer than 3 or 4 days!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks ladies and gents . I will look at getting solar fitted for next year . Seems a shame to miss out on rallies because of no solar onboard .
now starts the fun, how much leccy do you use, determines what amp hour many batteries you need, then this determines how much solar you need, then where to fit how much cable do you need and invertor, are you going lithium or lead acid, agm batteries, on and on and on. Its worth it though :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We were all set to fit a solar panel for next year, then I did some thinking.

Mostly we are on campsites with hook-up. The only times we don't have hook up is when we are at music festivals.

We already have a double leisure battery set up, 220Ah. We have LED lights inside the MH.
So what else would we run off the leisure batteries for 4 days without hook up.
The electric bed goes up and down once a day. Takes 20 seconds each way, ain't going to take much out of the batteries. The radio runs off the leisure batteries, but we're normally out listening to the music anyway. Water pump, a few times a day.

But without hookup we have to cook with gas, the fridge runs on gas , hot water comes form gas, if we need heating then that runs off diesel. Mrs Sandancers hairdryer won't work off leisure batteries or gas bottles, so no help either way there.

So basically, I think a solar panel is just not needed for us.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
now starts the fun, how much leccy do you use, determines what amp hour many batteries you need, then this determines how much solar you need, then where to fit how much cable do you need and invertor, are you going lithium or lead acid, agm batteries, on and on and on. Its worth it though :)
And it gives me something to research and focus on . I’ve found it hard to “ keep happy “ with all the changes around us . I was looking at some of the videos people have posted on here lately of previous rallies and thinking how much I would like to attend one . I will enjoy this as a winter project 👍🏻

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have a 180 AHr panel and three 110 Ahr batteries we did over 100 days touring UK and Europe last year we only used a campsite twice

We have taken all the Halogen bulbs out and fitted LEDS, we have Sat TV and SWMBO uses it for a min of 2 hours a night when we have a signal - IF you can afford Lithium batteries go for those but otherwise fit the best Leisure batteries you can find

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Park next to me.

I tend to tow my little genny along to Rallies, I've usually got some power to spare in exchange for a couple of pints of Scrumpy,
I'm often parked up at the far end of the field.

1607115168079.png

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Here is our set-up with a relatively modest solar panel. We have never run out of juice yet, spending up to 5 days static and using onboard shower/toilet (that's May to Sep UK, winter Spain/Portugal). I guess you can increase the solar power and reduce the battery capacity: would be nice to know the best solar to battery capacity ratio.

2 x 100Ah lead acid batteries
120W panel (flat-mounted)
Fridge: gas (controls obviously need 12V)
Hot water / heating: gas (fan and controls obviously need 12V)
Water pump + bog flush 12V.
Lights: all LED
TV, sound system, computers, phones, tablets, etc. all 12V
No inverter

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Do not concern yourself about the hole in the roof because it can be sealed perfectly. Most motorhomes now have solar panels fitted and when you come to sell the van, it will not affect the price negatively and it will not spoil the looks of your van. Make sure that the roof is drilled in the place nearest to a suitable entrance (inside a wardrobe etc) Fit a purpose made fitting over the hole for the cable to go through.
We are all different, some of us want to stay in campsites for their holiday and only use hook-up. A bit like a caravan. I like the freedom to move at a moments notice and very rarely want to visit campsites. The solar panel (mine is only 130w) allows me to park virtually anywhere and my single 150 ah battery has been more than enough for months off hook-up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back