How to pay in Netherlands? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I understand that credit cards are not very acceptable in NL. What do members use without incurring fees? We head for Harwich in 2 weeks time. Thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We had problems using Mastercard debit and credit cards two years ago, my impression was that Visa was more widely used. In the end we just used up all the cash on our cash card. My advice is to stick some extra Euro's on your cash card and use that.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I understand that credit cards are not very acceptable in NL. What do members use without incurring fees? We head for Harwich in 2 weeks time. Thanks.
Selling the wife into slavery seems to open most financial doors when in Tulip land. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think you have to get one of those charge card things,that you fill up with euros or whatever currency/currencies you will need. Then it works like a debit card.
I used Fairfx a while back for USD

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don't remember any problems using Visa cards when we were there a few years ago. Holland is one of the most developed countries in the world after all.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Holland is one of the most developed countries in the world after all.
Yes. Looks it. (y)

dutch1.jpg

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We are currently in NL. We are using a Revolut (MasterCard) card and so far has only been declined at one supermarket, Grote Beer. It has been accepted on the Tessel ferry and the Steam train at Hoorn and also at Jumbo supermarket. It also works in all ATM's we have used. We haven't been able to use at either of the sites we have stayed so far, but that was because neither of them accepted card payments.

I would make sure you have some cash as back up.

Andy

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Never had a problem in Holland - always use MasterCard for fuel and visa for most else

Lunnie

Free Member
Dec 28, 2015
Derby
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
My visa card has been refused in North Holland Winsum & Groningen city, my partner is dutch we lived there in Baflo, but mainly ok but take cash or cash card to withdrawn from atm's

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have covered everything now, two bank cards, one with Visa and one with Mastercard. A Mastercard cash card and a Visa and a Mastercard credit card, and cash, Euro's, US Dollars and GBP.

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Well, we are still here, currently in Zeeland near Goes. Still sticking with Revolute MasterCard. Has been accepted at Spar and BP, and declined at Albert Hein and our current site. Haven't felt the need to resort to our UK Visa debit cards.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We have found that a lot of North European countries prefer Maestro cards, I think it's something to do with lower retailer fees.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
From memory the aire in Maastrick was only accessible using a CC when I used it last year.

Dick

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
And on our last day before returning to the UK, our Revolute card was refused at the vets and at a small mini supermarket. My UK visa debit card was also not accepted.

Andy

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
We've just spend 10 days in the Netherlands and have not been able to use our Halifax clarity card on many occasions. The marinas don't take cards, nor a couple of supermarkets and even payment for the tour boat in Amsterdam had to be in euros cos their line was down. Advice - take lots of euros!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
One wonders why cards are less acceptable in the Netherlands, Germany and for the camp site we stay on in Spain. There would only be one reason for cash in this country.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
One wonders why cards are less acceptable in the Netherlands, Germany and for the camp site we stay on in Spain. There would only be one reason for cash in this country.

It's mostly because of the Merchant fees charged to the retailer/campsite etc by the Card Company.
Why would you throw 3% or 4% of your profit straight down the drain by taking a credit card payment when you can get cash from the customer instead without that transaction "tax".
The Dutch have the reputation across mainland Europe for being tight....like the Scots or Yorkshiremans reputation in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back