How to measure gas level in cylinders (1 Viewer)

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Our can came fitted with a 2x11 Gaslow system which had two flimsy plastic clip on gauges - one on the top of each cylinder. They didn't seem to be connected to anything but did give readings. Both have now snapped off so I need a new solution.

I see there are a variety of devices which seem to either fix to or be used to scan the bottle by hand. I can't find any info on how these work - or whether some types are more accurate than others.

I'm looking for something which I can 'fit and forget' that will be robust enough to last and give me a reasonably reliable reading - so I can plan ahead for fill ups.

What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot.

Chris

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There is a device by Truma I think that you mount the bottle on and it weighs it---- there is a remote screen inside the van that gives a readout of gas level----- we had this in our flair but rarely used it as we had a big underslung gas tank------ we also have the same system in our caravan----- as long as nothing is touching the bottle it has to be fairly accurate

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Truma also make a hand held gizmo that you hold against the bottles and it shows the level. Bit pricey but looks very handy.
when I run out the last of our calor lite weights will get one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The gauges work by magnetism. You can get a slightly different gauge that has a Hall Effect sensor inside it. The sensor measures the magnetic field and transmits the information along a wire to a remote gauge. This may be more convenient to read and less liable to damage.
The ultrasonic gauges are for cylinders with no magnetic gauge system inside them. They work, but the magnetic type is better I think.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The original gauges can be reattached with a cable tie ... I've done it with one of ours and it hasn't dropped off since.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Many of use are using the Mopeka system which uses a sensor that attaches magnetically to the bottom of your cylinder and sends what the gas level in your cylinder is to a bluetooth app on your phone.
I find ours to be very accurate and reliable.
Do a forum search for Mopeka in the search box, and it will come back with a few threads on the subject.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have always had two bottles.
When one goes empty I switch onto the other one.
I now know I have about three weeks to refill/replace the empty one.
Never yet needed to know the levels in 25 years.
I do the same and can't understand why a gauge is needed since you can top up a refillable at any time and don't have to hand in a cylinder which may have gas remaining in it.
My ex always ran the fuel in her the car well into the red and I could never get through to her that the fuel consumption would be exactly the same if she topped up when it showed a quarter or more full.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do the same and can't understand why a gauge is needed since you can top up a refillable at any time and don't have to hand in a cylinder which may have gas remaining in it.
My ex always ran the fuel in her the car well into the red and I could never get through to her that the fuel consumption would be exactly the same if she topped up when it showed a quarter or more full.
Ah but the lower she let it go the less times she had to spend going to actually fill it up ... no point wasting energy is there! :giggle:

OP
OP
chenderson1965

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Many of use are using the Mopeka system which uses a sensor that attaches magnetically to the bottom of your cylinder and sends what the gas level in your cylinder is to a bluetooth app on your phone.
I find ours to be very accurate and reliable.
Do a forum search for Mopeka in the search box, and it will come back with a few threads on the subject.
Thanks. This looks promising. It seems like it has to be fitted to the underside of the cylinder though and I'm not confident of remoting nd replacing my (Gaslow) ones. Is that easy to do?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Ah but the lower she let it go the less times she had to spend going to actually fill it up ... no point wasting energy is there! :giggle:
Cuh! You two would have got on well together!
I think the truth is that she hoped I'd need to use it and fill it up to save her spending her gin money.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cuh! You two would have got on well together!
I think the truth is that she hoped I'd need to use it and fill it up to save her spending her gin money.
Yup, I can totally see her point ... she's not daft is she!

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Gaslow sell a system called Wave. I have it fitted to my cylinders and works perfectly. Gives gas level and you can’t set alarms. Works by Bluetooth through an app on a phone.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I have a Mopeka and well-pleased with it but the simplest, almost no-cost, low-tech method for establishing gas level is to pour a stream of boiling water down the side of the cylinder. Above the level, the cylinder wall stays warm for a time, below the level it cools instantly (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for the Mopeka system here. Had it fixed for a while now and it has not let me down.

It is very easy to fit. Just unstrap the first bottle, slide it slightly out until you can get your hand under the bottle, stick the sender unit to the underside which will attach with its magnet, slide the bottle back in enough for it not to tip, register the bottle using the app and make sure it is working. Once you know it is working, slide the bottle back in fully and restrap it and then repeat on the other bottle. No need to disconnect anything and took me about 20 minutes to do.

I do exactly the same can't see the point in buying something else to go wrong that is not needed.
The problem with that is the law of sod. This states that the bottle will always run out when it is either p***ing down outside or in the middle of the night (usually when it is either p***ing down or freezing cold). In the latter case this triggers the fridge alarm and wakes her ladyship up who insists on the matter being dealt with forthwith.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Pour boiling water on the outside of cylinder, classroom science method..Results are self explanatory....

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have always had two bottles.
When one goes empty I switch onto the other one.
I now know I have about three weeks to refill/replace the empty one.
Never yet needed to know the levels in 25 years.
I do the same with wine, not so much with ale, though I've never managed three weeks.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The gauges work by magnetism. You can get a slightly different gauge that has a Hall Effect sensor inside it. The sensor measures the magnetic field and transmits the information along a wire to a remote gauge. This may be more convenient to read and less liable to damage.
Post#6 from Lenny HB in this recent thread explains how the (non-electric) gauge works.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why not fit an automatic change over valve costs about 60 quid.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Pour boiling water on the outside of cylinder, classroom science method..Results are self explanatory....
Does this work on Aluminium cylinders please. Tia

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I use the Mopeka system with auto change over accurate as well.

Best bit of money you’ll spend and this way you don’t need to go outside to monitor and change over bottles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back