How To Make Winter Motorhoming More Enjoyable (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Winchester, Hants
Funster No
MH
Gulf Stream BT Cruiser RV
Exp
Since 2009
Don’t forget your dogs too! We’ve just come back from Dorset and two nights running my Golden Retriever dogs awoke at 4.20am and then woke me. They sleep in the ‘lounge area’ and were really very cold to the touch despite having carpeted floors, soft padded beds & extra blankets. I quickly bought them each a jumper and the next, and subsequent nights, they slept through.

If we were using the van lots over Winter I would invest in electrical heat pads that go under their bedding- such as you use in a whelping box for the pups. Basically an electric blanket for dogs 🐶

Must say it was magical when I took them out for a quick walk to warm them up at 4.20am - no light pollution, cloudless sky and bright, bright stars. We were staying on Charmouth CCC site who have strung fairy lights all along their Dog Walk, which added to the atmosphere 😁

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Who said anything about Britain?

Because if you are not already in Europe you cannot now go there! I have reports that motorhomes are no longer allowed on the Ferries & Train.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Where has that come from..please
A friend of mine made enquiries of the Dover crossings and was told of this very recent development. ALTHOUGH apparently you can still sail to Santander from Portsmouth......go figure.

Newt

Free Member
Sep 30, 2019
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We just wap the heating on 23 and chill, we have refillable lpg, solar and B2B and manage quite well.
We made the investment to live in this way while in the van.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
If you run the fridge on gas with the covers still in place, there's a possibility of carbon monoxide forming. Please remove the covers before ignting the fridge gas.
Bottom as well as the top .... thought you needed to restrict cold air intake at lower temps bug yes understand top one being removed

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'd like to do that and am trying to figure out if the ceiling behind the cab seats can hold the weight of curtain rail. There's an aluminium strip runs across the ceiling and immediately next to that is a few little plastic brackets screwed to the ceiling for bed safety net, but whether fitting a rail there instead is wise, does anyone know? I cant' determine if the screws are into rawl plug type things or a sold piece of timber. It's a Burstner with drop down bed.

Silly suggestion but you can get extending curtain poles that are attached to each side

Amazon product ASIN B07DFD7KGM

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Have to confess that up until now we have been mostly Spring & Summer motorhomers with winter sun in apartments of hotels abroad but now year round motorhoming looks like the only viable option for most of us so please post your tips for how to enjoy this more. We like to pick up extra ideas & it might help some new to this.
To start if off here's a few that spring to mind:
Electric hook up - not sure enough solar to keep our compressor fridge etc. running otherwise
Exterior silver screens - normally use internal Remis blinds & exterior mesh screen covers but the thick silver ones really help
Slippers - fluffy lined "Crocs" picked up in Aldi Germany for €5 :love:
Hot water bottles - his & hers
Fleece throws to stay cosy
Electric heater - small Kampa Diddy or Eco Chico oil free heater for serious warmth
Flask - boiling a full kettle & putting the remainder in a flask so quick hot drinks always available (saves gas too if not on EHU!)
As seasoned tent campers, we took most of the above on our first trip in the newly converted van, in September! Had EHU, and we didn't need the Kampa Diddy. (Worth spending all that time stuffing wadding into every crevice) The Silver Screens are amazing - 2 people and 2 largish dogs in a LWB Transit, no condensation at all. We hope to go away again this Autumn.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have to confess that up until now we have been mostly Spring & Summer motorhomers with winter sun in apartments of hotels abroad but now year round motorhoming looks like the only viable option for most of us so please post your tips for how to enjoy this more. We like to pick up extra ideas & it might help some new to this.
To start if off here's a few that spring to mind:
Electric hook up - not sure enough solar to keep our compressor fridge etc. running otherwise
Exterior silver screens - normally use internal Remis blinds & exterior mesh screen covers but the thick silver ones really help
Slippers - fluffy lined "Crocs" picked up in Aldi Germany for €5 :love:
Hot water bottles - his & hers
Fleece throws to stay cosy
Electric heater - small Kampa Diddy or Eco Chico oil free heater for serious warmth
Flask - boiling a full kettle & putting the remainder in a flask so quick hot drinks always available (saves gas too if not on EHU!)
Mock Crocs.. be aware they do not generally last anywhere near as long as the genuine ones do
Once the tread starts to disappear be VERY careful of shiny floors such as tiles !!

Given the cost of sites with hook up and the fact you may not always have EHU as an option, invest £90 or so on a diesel heater kit from China off of fleabay
Easy as an easy thing to fit..
I wired mine direct to the leisure.. Advantage is you can fire it up when going along which means no initial big drain from the batteries ( alternator handles it when the engine is running ) and as a bonus, when you are travelling just blip the remote control about 10 minutes before you stop, and the hab area is lovely and toasty

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Also have some of these slippers https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/sheepskin-slippers-for-winter-motorhoming-from-£17-27-delivered.208957/ & links & new discount code on our last post :)

1601574615342.png

1601574642377.png

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
If you run the fridge on gas with the covers still in place, there's a possibility of carbon monoxide forming. Please remove the covers before ignting the fridge gas.
Several seasons skiing - always had covers on throughout winter - no problems - fridge should be sealed to interior of van
Covers do not stop any fumes escaping they are reducing the amount of cold air coming into the compartment. There are still gaps just reduced.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Winter covers dont cover the gas flue 🤷‍♂️
Well they dont on mine so I assume there must be some confusion about what winter covers are or there is more than one style of cover

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Silly suggestion but you can get extending curtain poles that are attached to each side

Amazon product ASIN B07DFD7KGM
No, not silly at all. Trying to avoid making holes and not sure the expandable sprung shower curtain type rail will support thermal lined curtains or it may leave a gap at the top, but could be worth a try, thanks. As a test I have used a slim extending rail for net curtains through the hem of a big fleece and hooked to the safety net brackets with S-hooks. Does make a huge difference, though to be fair, I don't have silver screens. Would be nice to know though if the ceiling would take a nice rail like the type in the van shower.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
This thread fascinates me because we didn't do anything different (i.e. no special prep) when we travelled through Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania etc in 2007 Christmas. We were very often below zero and quite often around the -10 mark. Once we were -14 (that was our coldest). I think we simply used up a bit more gas.
Maybe it depends on the van, our's is a P-reg Euramobil with nothing exposed (water, waste, batteries and stuff is in the heated underfloor cavity).
I recall the biggest challenge was starting the vehicle in Bulgaria at the Borovets ski resort when it was pretty cold. The engine ran pretty rough for about 30secs when it finally started. I had about three attempts to start it. We used snow chains at least three times that I recall.
Naive or stupid? ;)
IMG_0986.jpg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Winter covers dont cover the gas flue 🤷‍♂️
Well they dont on mine so I assume there must be some confusion about what winter covers are or there is more than one style of cover
Last Autumn our 3 way fridge was working very badly.
RTFM and found we should try adding covers in temps lower than 8degC
Fitted just the lower grill cover & normal service was resumed :)

Looking now at our manual for clues to confusion in this thread, some upper vents have a separate flu for gas operation. That does not get covered if using the original vent cover.
kevenh_fridge.png
Our fridge is this 3-way: Dometic Fridge RM7270L

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But diesel heating uses a lot of battery energy doesn't it?
Only at startup
When I fitted ours last year I carried out quite extensive testing
Current draw varied originally between .4 and .5A when running
As it 'broke in' it reduced to .25 to .35A

I did a full install write up of it at the time, which you can find here:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Only if not sealed properly

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
This thread fascinates me because we didn't do anything different (i.e. no special prep) when we travelled through Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania etc in 2007 Christmas. We were very often below zero and quite often around the -10 mark. Once we were -14 (that was our coldest). I think we simply used up a bit more gas.
Maybe it depends on the van, our's is a P-reg Euramobil with nothing exposed (water, waste, batteries and stuff is in the heated underfloor cavity).
I recall the biggest challenge was starting the vehicle in Bulgaria at the Borovets ski resort when it was pretty cold. The engine ran pretty rough for about 30secs when it finally started. I had about three attempts to start it. We used snow chains at least three times that I recall.
Naive or stupid? ;)
View attachment 429907
Yes but quality van to start with!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Naive or stupid? ;)
View attachment 429907
Our second motorhome was an a class eura mobil, superb quality built for the job. 👍
Our first motorhome was a swift kontiki, and at home we had five ash and three oak trees, and we had to wait for the leaves to fall and clear them before we left for Spain, because it was easier than doing it when we came back after 3 or 4 months and the grass took a long while to recover, so we always travelled in cold wet or snow, one year it was so cold we put cardboard boxes on the floor. 😁
We no longer have that problem living in Spain. 😜🙂 Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back