How To Make Winter Motorhoming More Enjoyable (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have to confess that up until now we have been mostly Spring & Summer motorhomers with winter sun in apartments of hotels abroad but now year round motorhoming looks like the only viable option for most of us so please post your tips for how to enjoy this more. We like to pick up extra ideas & it might help some new to this.
To start if off here's a few that spring to mind:
Electric hook up - not sure enough solar to keep our compressor fridge etc. running otherwise
Exterior silver screens - normally use internal Remis blinds & exterior mesh screen covers but the thick silver ones really help
Slippers - fluffy lined "Crocs" picked up in Aldi Germany for €5 :love:
Hot water bottles - his & hers
Fleece throws to stay cosy
Electric heater - small Kampa Diddy or Eco Chico oil free heater for serious warmth
Flask - boiling a full kettle & putting the remainder in a flask so quick hot drinks always available (saves gas too if not on EHU!)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Have to confess that up until now we have been mostly Spring & Summer motorhomers with winter sun in apartments of hotels abroad but now year round motorhoming looks like the only viable option for most of us so please post your tips for how to enjoy this more. We like to pick up extra ideas & it might help some new to this.
Electric hook up - not sure enough solar to keep our compressor fridge etc. running otherwise
Exterior silver screens - normally use internal Remis blinds & exterior mesh screen covers but the thick silver ones really help
Electric heater - small Kampa Diddy or Eco Chico oil free heater for serious warmth
Flask - boiling a full kettle & putting the remainder in a flask so quick hot drinks always available (saves gas too!)
Yup, we do all of that, also put some cheap carpet down if you haven't already got it fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
We're in the same boat as you Wombles and have been doing some research and preparation for this coming winter. These are some of the recommendations we have had given to us:
- If you have an older van with manual, as opposed to push button type HVAC controls, turn your air to the recirculate setting.
- Close all your air vents in the cab.
- Use a blanket or cheap sleeping bag to cover the dashoard and passenger dash area.
- If you have soft clothes bags or anything similar, use these to fill the driver and passenger footwell areas.
- If you are using the van for skiing, or are somewhere where snow is certain, try to keep your EHU cable off the floor so it doesn't get frozen to the ground.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Flask - boiling a full kettle & putting the remainder in a flask so quick hot drinks always available (saves gas too!)

Consider getting a dual control electric blanket (his & hers, assuming a double bed; otherwise one each!).

IF EHU is included in the price, use an electric kettle!
IF it isn't, use gas as it will be cheaper.
TRY to boil the minimum amount of water, as even in an efficient flask the extra will cool down.
BUT rinse the kettle out with a small amount of drinking water and store that in a flask: it cools the kettle and preheats your next hot drink.
DO THIS TWICE in close succession: the first water drops the temperature of the flask quite a lot but the second one takes it almost to room temperature. Stand the kettle on the "hot" part of the hob to extract heat from that spot as well!
TIGHT? No, just careful and agreeing with Sir David Attenborough's advice this morning: "don't waste anything".

Gordon

Don't forget woolly socks and a "lounger suit" which you can pull on over the top of other clothing. ;)
(Easier to keep you warm than a blanket when you get up to make that hot drink.)

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We use the van over the winter. I've just bought a set of ext thermal screens so I'll see if that helps stop the condensation on the inside of the cab glass as the int Remis blinds don't. We use elec heating supplemented with propane for Truma heating and hot water.
Previously we had an 05 Autotrail and the Fiat cab was freezing due to cold air being let in to the van via the holes in the cab door panels. We now have a 11 plate Rapido with the next gen Fiat cab. This one doesn't have the door vents that the previous version had so is much warmer. Also the van is winterised with fresh water tank inside.
Take good duvets and possibly sleeping bags as back up. The Truma heating packed in one winter and I thought I saw a polar bear in the van it got so cold. We niw have a back up elec oil rad just in case that happens again.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If you have rear doors, then full length thermal lined curtains make a massive difference. (y)

There was also a thread in the Globecar mods section where a couple seemed to be trying to out-do each other on the insulation front ... doors, cupboards etc. worth a read!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have seen recommendations on forums to hang a thick blanket behind the cab area. This stops any cols air from that area entering the habitation area and stops the heating to have to heat that area and preserve it for the rest of it.

Geoff

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
OMG. Just go and do it. It’s never that cold inside a motorhome especially in the UK. Last night was 2degrees we had heating off, 4.5 tog summer duvet, no clothes on, bathroom roof open to first setting and bedroom roof open a good 3-4”. Nice layer of ice this morning outside but fine inside. Wake up, heating, hot water on, and fill the kettle.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If the weather is very cold you might like to consider a fleece one piece, of the kind that divers wear under a drysuit, they are very warm and cosy.

The following is not a recommendation, just an illustration of what I mean.

Amazon product ASIN B005PV7EXK
If the weather is that cold I would stay at home..I only do sunshine,,BUSBY.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I have seen recommendations on forums to hang a thick blanket behind the cab area. This stops any cols air from that area entering the habitation area and stops the heating to have to heat that area and preserve it for the rest of it.

Geoff
Yes our Autotrail had a thick curtain to separate the cab from the habitation area which hlped.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
OMG. Just go and do it. It’s never that cold inside a motorhome especially in the UK. Last night was 2degrees we had heating off, 4.5 tog summer duvet, no clothes on, bathroom roof open to first setting and bedroom roof open a good 3-4”. Nice layer of ice this morning outside but fine inside. Wake up, heating, hot water on, and fill the kettle.
Agree 100% what’s a bit of chill ????? Adds to the experience , ok now got fitted out mh , in old days I slept inside transit in comfy sleeping bag WITH ice on the inside of van ! Nice and fresh in morning , ok I am comfortable now low heating on all night no problem .

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yes our Autotrail had a thick curtain to separate the cab from the habitation area which hlped.
Yes thermal curtains certainly helps

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Geoff
Good tip but I did smile. We have an extendible shower curtain rail and thermal curtains hung just as you describe but not for the same reason. We winter in Spain and close them while on the move so that the cab a/c can keep up. 👍

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Last two nights in Devon last week were cold (to us). Electric heating ON. Ditto in the morning but this time on "Boost". Wouldn't go on a site when it's cold unless it had EHU.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm not a proper motorhomer as I don't do cold ......or barbeques........... or polishing.......and have never used my own shower. That is to say that I don't actually enjoy motorhoming as a hobby in itself. Mine's just convenient flexible transport to specific places or events and somewhere to make a snack and have a kip. I have winter hobbies and summer hobbies so as long as it doesn't break down or leak I'm happy, but swathing myself in thermals..............
No thanks!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Cover the air vents in the doors (older Ducato) - seen as a sort of metal grill on edge of door that is only seen when door open.
Make sure your thermal screens (external) cover the air intakes at the bottom of the windscreen.
Adjust your door catch (the bolt that sticks out the body work) so that your doors shut tighter.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
In winter we have a fleece curtain fastened to the underneath of the lift up bed so it hangs across the windscreen. We also have a couple of snakes that soaked up water when we had the roof off the house. I push them down at the bottom of the windscreen so when using the windscreen vac the excess water doesn't vanish behind the dash.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
In winter we have a fleece curtain fastened to the underneath of the lift up bed so it hangs across the windscreen. We also have a couple of snakes that soaked up water when we had the roof off the house. I push them down at the bottom of the windscreen so when using the windscreen vac the excess water doesn't vanish behind the dash.
Use a couple of snakes to soak up the water blimey that's a bit cruel !

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
All of the above help but like us the big problem for us PVC owners is the sliding door I’m afraid. Open the door once and a huge amount of heat is lost. Even on electric hook up you will need a gas boost to get back up to a decent temperature again.
It’s the only time I think perhaps those 5 grand hartal doors might be worth it, not financially but comfort wise!

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
We use our MH in winter and on some journeys to Spain we get minus 6” south of Bordeaux . It is winterised but with a winter duvet we don’t have the Alde heating on low at 12”, because it gets too hot. !! Just set to Auto to come on at 6.30 am. By the time we’ve had a cuppa it’s toasty warm for a shower.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Hi Karen, easy answer, start off around Barcelona and each week ( or two) work your way westards along the Med, Most of France for aires will be shut down for water so stock up on refillable containers but waste disposal still open and no guarantee of electric but you will be driving every day so more than enough battery power for you and Mr Wombles ( Oh how he hates that!) By the time you get to Marbella you will have had enough of the little britain mentality ( You cant park there Brian and Lynn come every year and that's there spot, when are they coming? February!)
Insulated windscreen cover external stops condensation, Merino wool throws and fleece covers for bed and as you said waste not want not, when boiled kettle for brew put remainder in flask it saves £**** in reheating cold water.
PS Lola still loves you!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back