How to handle a Tyre blow-out and other info from Michelin. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Probably posted before but worth a second view..

A short video from Michelin on how to control your vehicle if you have a 'blow-out'

When you open the link .. Click on the video:Link Removed

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I'm not sure that accelerating when your tyre blows, with a front wheel drive vehicle, will have the same effect as what is stated.

The power will go the wheel with the least resistance, the inflated one, and cause a push to the other side.

Surely the correct method is to remove your foot from the accelerator and definately dont brake?

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Jim thanks for that, this is exactly what we train....but it is worth mentioning that the use of the accelerator pedal should be used with caution depending on the power of the vehicle and the speed and conditions we are travelling in......40mph on busy dual carigeway boot the gas and it kicks down 2 gears we either then have to brake or hit the car in front, not so good.....the best advice is to slow down gradually whilst holding the steering wheel firmly.......under no circumstances hit the brakes....steering correction then is a minimum as we have a firm hold of the steering wheel.

Hope this helps

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I'm not sure that accelerating when your tyre blows, with a front wheel drive vehicle, will have the same effect as what is stated.

The power will go the wheel with the least resistance, the inflated one, and cause a push to the other side.

Surely the correct method is to remove your foot from the accelerator and definately dont brake?

Good point, on a front wheel drive again I would do as above slow down gradually whilst holding the steering wheel firmly......Although on a front wheel drive the inflated tyre will pull in the opposite direction to the blown one thus trying to pull it into a straight line.......using the gas pedal in this situation does take a degree of experience and many of us have little of that dealing with blow outs.........that is why I always teach the above.

All the best Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I wonder if "step on the gas" is just ploy to keep them off the brakes.

No it does work Brian.....but as I said with extreme caution if not practiced.......hence the reason we train as we do and leave that bit out :ROFLMAO: again it is ease the foot off the gas as natural reaction is to let the gas go....almost as bad as stamping on the brakes.

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good point, on a front wheel drive again I would do as above slow down gradually whilst holding the steering wheel firmly......Although on a front wheel drive the inflated tyre will pull in the opposite direction to the blown one thus trying to pull it into a straight line.......using the gas pedal in this situation does take a degree of experience and many of us have little of that dealing with blow outs.........that is why I always teach the above.

All the best Rick
law of physics states otherwise Rick......

the under-inflated tyre will have more rolling resistance so will still pull hard to that side.
the inflated tyre will roll far easier and will have the opposite effect to what you say.

a flat tyre will always pull to the side of the flat due to higher rolling resistance, whether front or rear wheel drive or front or rear flat but more pronounced if on the front.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Had a blow out this time last year at 07.30hrs on a monday morning in a Transit tipper crew cab on the M1 at 70MPH it took me from lane 1 to lane 3 and back to the hard shoulder just missing the armco in the centrel reservation, it was the front offside that went i just took my feet off everything and just steered it slowed on its own i stopped on the hard shoulder and called the motorway wombles out as Mr Clarkson calls them to watch my back while i changed the wheel, now ive had blowouts on artics but this was a full blown brown trousers moment thats how i deal with blowouts the same way as when a trailer snakes works for me Gray. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back