How to get the best cup of coffee (1 Viewer)

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Torn I am, Currently using the continental style aluminium perculator, the one every self respecting French, Spanish and Italian uses, it's ok but....

Chap at work lent me an espresso type machine, this worked ok but I still cannot get that really good cup you get in restaurants here and abroad.

Been looking at Tassimo thingy's that you buy sachets for, not convinced this is the answer.

Anyone got any good suggestions other than drink tea, beer, wine or just shut up instead.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We use a Gaggia Cubika at home and a Sensio in the van. I like my coffee strong and have found the pods from Mercadona Hacendado Intenso suit my taste best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Its not the coffee maker, it the beans that make the difference

By a cheap grinder, try the various beans, grind them yourself and use a bodum or similar. Expensive machines dont make good tasting coffee its the beans themselves

Deleted User
I have had a Gaggia Baby for about ten years and recently bought a cheap espresso machine(€40) in Portugal both work well but I doubt the cheap one will last ten years.
For me it is important to grind the beans fresh each time and use a good grinder though i have had good results from a blade type grinder but it takes time to get the grains fine enough for espresso and the all important crema.

I used Lavazza beans for a long time but now I try various beans and blend, the only thing I can suggest is persevere and experiment and make sure the grains are well compacted.If you are in a hard water area try using bottled water, strip the metal grille off(usually just a screw) and give a good clean it's amazing how much gunk builds up behind.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Lidl's "First Class" in a Cafeteria, It would be nice to have coarser grind, but I like the taste of the Lidl's coffee.
In the MoHo I use the travel kettle run on the Inverter to use up the excess solar power from the panels, and to add a little extra smugness to the drink.
The real issue is what to do with the used coffee grinds, At home they any flushed down the sink, but I don't like putting them in the grey waste tank so on the road I just throw them on the local greenery, should be ok they are bio-degradable.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use an Aeropress. Makes a cup in a couple of minutes and the big plus is the grounds are ejected as a sort of brown tablet so you don't have to flush the grounds down the sink. It isn't espresso but makes a decent drink without the bitterness of a percolator.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
We use a Morthy Richard Coffee Perculator @ Home & a Tesco Cafe Press in the Motorhome
The Coffee of choice is Taylors of Harogate Hot Java strength no 5 as we cant buy higher in the stores

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Torn I am, Currently using the continental style aluminium perculator, the one every self respecting French, Spanish and Italian uses, it's ok but....

Chap at work lent me an espresso type machine, this worked ok but I still cannot get that really good cup you get in restaurants here and abroad.

Been looking at Tassimo thingy's that you buy sachets for, not convinced this is the answer.

Anyone got any good suggestions other than drink tea, beer, wine or just shut up instead.

In the van or at home ?

Nespresso is super consistent although it's no barista gourmet cuppa, for that you can't beat a Bialetti with good FRESH beans that are properly ground, more work and time but worth it.

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Posh girl...........Aldi for us! ;)
There's a hint of reverse .......... here. A bit like the Monty Python sketch where they try to out do one another with how poor they are, remember the one where they end up claiming they lived in a cardboard box at the side of the motorway ----- Brilliant, who's going to go less than Aldi for their coffee of choice.

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
In the van or at home ?

Nespresso is super consistent although it's no barista gourmet cuppa, for that you can't beat a Bialetti with good FRESH beans that are properly ground, more work and time but worth it.
Home or MH, whats barista? or come to that whats a Bialetti?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
You have to look at the continental style aluminium perculator and ask why it has stood the test of time.
As already stated above it is the coffee you use in it that makes it perfect. We have been using the continental aluminium perculator for years, and some coffees we buy taste horrid and others really nice. The main thing about it is simple to use on the gas ring, but you can "over boil" the coffe and that spoils the taste.

Stick with it

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
There's a hint of reverse .......... here. A bit like the Monty Python sketch where they try to out do one another with how poor they are, remember the one where they end up claiming they lived in a cardboard box at the side of the motorway ----- Brilliant, who's going to go less than Aldi for their coffee of choice.

Macdonalds.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Have you been to Aldi?

OP
OP
electrajohnt

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
You have to look at the continental style aluminium perculator and ask why it has stood the test of time.
As already stated above it is the coffee you use in it that makes it perfect. We have been using the continental aluminium perculator for years, and some coffees we buy taste horrid and others really nice. The main thing about it is simple to use on the gas ring, but you can "over boil" the coffe and that spoils the taste.

Stick with it
Over boil the coffee?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've just started making decent is coffee and wondered what Aldi coffee is like.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.

Stick with it

Definitely the best! Agree with everything! ::bigsmile:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Use lazy Sunday at home in coffee machine and Tassimo in van through inverter NOTE you need a pure sine wave or the machine will not run properly
(Ask me how I know)

Oh for gods sake I go through all of this thread waiting for someone to ask and in the end I've gotta do it:X3:

ok how do you know?:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back