How to get started with a TV / DVD player (1 Viewer)

L

LVK

Deleted User
Hi all,
I'm a newbie and will be picking up my motorhome this weekend. It is an old, second hand van but has a TV aerial.
I would like to install a TV/DVD that I can hook up to leisure battery as I will be wild camping mostly and would also like one that I can wall mount. I will be going to Europe but not too fussed about watching TV there as long as I can watch films ok if TV doesn't work.
So my questions are...
1. what to buy?
2. how do I hook it up to the leisure battery - read something about cigarette lighter plug ins but is there some more permanent way?
3. how easy is it all to set up and wall mount (do I have to drill holes in my van and if so, am I likely to break anything?).
Please excuse all the silly, girlie questions!!

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi all,
I'm a newbie and will be picking up my motorhome this weekend. It is an old, second hand van but has a TV aerial.
I would like to install a TV/DVD that I can hook up to leisure battery as I will be wild camping mostly and would also like one that I can wall mount. I will be going to Europe but not too fussed about watching TV there as long as I can watch films ok if TV doesn't work.
So my questions are...
1. what to buy?
2. how do I hook it up to the leisure battery - read something about cigarette lighter plug ins but is there some more permanent way?
3. how easy is it all to set up and wall mount (do I have to drill holes in my van and if so, am I likely to break anything?).

asda Click here

It may come with a cigarette lighter plug and cable that plugs direct to the tv it may come with a inline fuse for protection. would not recomment wiring direct without a a fuse

regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi LVK,

personally i wouldnt buy one of the 'motorhome' type TVs.....far too expensive.
an ordinary domestic 15" LCD will do the same job at a fraction of the cost.
as wildcamper said the cheapest place is usualy the supermarkets but make sure it has a small transformer box in the power wire other wise it will only work on 240v.

yes you will need to drill some holes for wall mounting but if you check for wires on both sides before you drill it should be ok. idealy its best to fit to a wardrobe wall or similar so you can fit washers behind to spread the weight. dont rely on screws alone as the tvs can be quite heavy. mine has an aluminium plate on the inside of the wardrobe wall the same size as the tv mount.

problem with wiring in permenantly is not being able to turn it off fully, not just standby which still uses up your battery. ok if your on hookup.

an LCD TV uses around 2.5amps/hour but the DVD player will use quite a lot more so your battery will flatten quite quick.

Upvote 0

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hi LVK
If you were to let us know what type of van you're getting I'm sure someone will have done it al before.

More info, better answers.

Hope you enjoy it whatever it is
:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LVK

Deleted User
Thanks for answers so far...

It is a Ford Herald Aragon, 1995.
If I hook up a TV through cigarette lighter does that mean I have cables to wander around? Will it always be draining on battery if I wire it direct to battery as no on/off switch? Also, how does fuse work?
Totally naive about all this stuff : )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LVK

Deleted User
hi LVK,

personally i wouldnt buy one of the 'motorhome' type TVs.....far too expensive.
an ordinary domestic 15" LCD will do the same job at a fraction of the cost.
as wildcamper said the cheapest place is usualy the supermarkets but make sure it has a small transformer box in the power wire other wise it will only work on 240v.

yes you will need to drill some holes for wall mounting but if you check for wires on both sides before you drill it should be ok. idealy its best to fit to a wardrobe wall or similar so you can fit washers behind to spread the weight. dont rely on screws alone as the tvs can be quite heavy. mine has an aluminium plate on the inside of the wardrobe wall the same size as the tv mount.

problem with wiring in permenantly is not being able to turn it off fully, not just standby which still uses up your battery. ok if your on hookup.

an LCD TV uses around 2.5amps/hour but the DVD player will use quite a lot more so your battery will flatten quite quick.

Hiya,
Is your TV that is wall mounted not wired in permanently then? Does this mean you have a cable running from TV to cigarette lighter always or am I missing something?

Upvote 0
M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, there are a number of TV,S with build in dvd players. we have a 14 inche unit in our hymer which is hard wired in. a few points to note that if you use the cigurate lighter then this will drain power from the engine battery, not to good as you may end up with a flat starting battery.
As stated you can get TV,s that run off 12 volt, just google for makes and types. I pull the power lead out when not using so know lost of power there.
You will need a fair bit of battery power to run the inbuild dvd, sometimes after afew days I found the sound failing a bit if not on mains power.
michael

Upvote 0

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
12 Volts in a motor home can be as high as 14.5 Volts (or more) when the batteries are charging.

Any electonic device (laptop, TV. DVD, Radio) should have a stabiliser to maintain a a constant voltage either externally or internally. A lot of 12V equipment vorks @ 12 volts but does not take kindly to 25% voltage overload unless desigined for it.

Link Removed

might be worth a look.

Rgds

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hiya,
Is your TV that is wall mounted not wired in permanently then? Does this mean you have a cable running from TV to cigarette lighter always or am I missing something?

yep!!!

wall mounted and plugged into a lighter socket when in use, unplugged when not used.

if you look just to the right of the spreader plate in the wardrobe you can just see the back of the lighter socket.

1st pic shows lighter socket plugged in,
2nd unplugged,
3rd shows lighter socket and tv/sat socket,
4th is a closeup of the plate in the wardrobe.

john.

Attachments

• IMG_1090 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1090 (Small).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1091 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1091 (Small).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1093 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1093 (Small).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1095 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1095 (Small).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LVK

Deleted User
yep!!!

wall mounted and plugged into a lighter socket when in use, unplugged when not used.

if you look just to the right of the spreader plate in the wardrobe you can just see the back of the lighter socket.

1st pic shows lighter socket plugged in,
2nd unplugged,
3rd shows lighter socket and tv/sat socket,
4th is a closeup of the plate in the wardrobe.

john.
Thanks John,
That is fab. I picked up the motorhome today so finally know what I have available ; )
There is a tv aerial cable and a plug socket that says 12v on it and has a strange two prong looking socket rather than a three pin plug socket. So I assume that is where they built it to plug into TV/DVD. Now just need to find a wall mounting bracket that will fit a TV from Asda or somewhere similar...

Upvote 0

traveller353

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
southend on sea
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
17 years
12v TV/DVD

Hi all,
So my questions are...
1. what to buy?

Hi I have bought 19" dvd tv that is 12v and also reads sd picturecard and has a usb connection,and is also a pc monitor, comes with leads for 12 and 240 vaults. you can even use a memory stick in usb to record from the tv, or playback stuff downloaded from computer. It is also built in freeview and hd ready. Using it in house now but will be taking it in camper when of touring in europe in march. It is very good quality picture.Got it of power seller (diddydigital) on ebay follow this link Link Removed
my brother had already bought the 15" version and told me how good it was, so follow the link then look in there shop. Was delivered the next day and has a years guarantee.
hope this helps.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John,
That is fab. I picked up the motorhome today so finally know what I have available ; )
There is a tv aerial cable and a plug socket that says 12v on it and has a strange two prong looking socket rather than a three pin plug socket. So I assume that is where they built it to plug into TV/DVD. Now just need to find a wall mounting bracket that will fit a TV from Asda or somewhere similar...

you can use that plug socket....it is 12v and should be 10amp.
you can buy the plugs at caravan shops....very common plug but not fused.

the reason i use a cig socket is i use a voltage stabilizer for the TV and the cig lighter style plug is fused....bit pointless when the socket is fused anyway.

if you get the 12v plug just cut off the existing plug and wire on the new one but make sure you get the wires the correct way round or it COULD damage the tv.

got my mounting plate from either asda or tesco....about £15 if i remember right.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi this is nice and easy to understand :thumb:
terry
may I say I have used 3 different tvs over 7 yrs wired direct to 12v Ariel sockets without problems

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    28 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi this is nice and easy to understand :thumb:
terry
may I say I have used 3 different tvs over 7 yrs wired direct to 12v Ariel sockets without problems

The first point to make is how much did you pay for your TV? If it's a £350 super-duper model then perhaps it may be worth splashing out on a voltage regulator or going for the inverter option. If you paid £50 for your TV then why not just wire it straight into the 12v and risk it? In most cases the TV will be absolutely fine.

while i agree in principle i think it depends on the TV type Terry,
LCD TVs can take the bumps and knocks but are pretty delicate and sensitive bits of kit when it comes to power supply and a freshly charged battery, ie: just arrived on site, may be 13.8 volts or more, which in most cases will be fine for a CRT telly but too much for an LCD. :Eeek:

if you can find a half decent LCD TV with freeview built in for £50 please let me know and ill have a few to sell on.:winky:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John first was a relysis? 17 ins w/s £220 sold with van (should have kept it ) then one from asda £169 again sold with van don't miss that but now on a grundig 15 in with built in dvd £159 from macro but still on the lookout for a 17 /19 in one that fits in the cupboard :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
All straight to 12v Ariel socket with only in line fuse and none have failed weather engine running or plugged into hook up :thumb:mate reckons the battery acts as a pretty good stabiliser and I trust his judgement a lot more than mine :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I bought mine from sainsburys and put a 12 volt plug onto a lead that plugs into to socket in the back it works a treat I have had mine for about 3 years and I paid about £100 instead of 3 or 4 hundred from Brownhills which incidently is where I bought my MH from in Newark

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back