How to get a mechanical check (1 Viewer)

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find what I need so here goes.
We are looking at buying a B584 Hymer 03 reg. I have done as much as I can remotley as the MH is 5 hrs drive away. MOT checks are perfect, not even an advisary. Mileage all checks out. My slight concern is that its had 5 owners, not including present.
So we are going this weekend to view it, but what I'd like is an independent hab check and mechanical check before we part with a lot of money. I have looked and AA, RAC and DEKRA all do the mechanical checks but, only on a MH up to 3500kg this Hymer is 3900kg, so is there someone who could do this check. Its in Lincolnshre?
Thanks for looking
Brian and Christine

OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
Thanks for the reply Jonno, I had looked there buthey don't seem to do a similar test that AA, RAC do. They have a 10mile drive to check all mechanical eg gearbox.
The Caravan and Motorhome don't seem to have this.
In my reearch, I did hear mention of the FIAT gearbox having issues, thats the reason I wanted a FULL mechanical check.
When I call DEKRA the woman would not allow and inspection on the Hymer as it was 3900KG eve though I tried to explain its really just 3500kg. The uprate is paperwork I believe.
I will give C & M a call.0

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The first x250's 2007 - on, had the gearbox judder issue ( i had one ) if thats what you are thinking about , i dont think the 2003 FIATs had a known gearbox problem. but others who have that variant will know better than I.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
Hi Phil
The problem was difficulty 4th to 5th I believe.
The hab check seems easy to get, although the seller has told me it had a hab check in December. Hymers of this era were not known for damp issues as far as I know.
Its a lot of money to spend and get it wrong!!

Brian

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think it's the earlier versions of the x244 that had the 5th gear problems.
2002 and earlier.
I have a 2003 x244 Hymer and read ,(can't remember where) that they were mostly ok.
I still treat it with respect, no use of 5th until engine warm and don't let it labour etc.
I did a gear oil replacement last year and overfilled as recommended.
What mileage is the one you looking at ?
Has it got decent service history ?
Edit, I wouldn't worry too much about five owners in that time.
Can you post a link to advert so we can take a look at it ?

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Phil
The problem was difficulty 4th to 5th I believe.
The hab check seems easy to get, although the seller has told me it had a hab check in December. Hymers of this era were not known for damp issues as far as I know.
Its a lot of money to spend and get it wrong!!

Brian
you are right about the money... and its always hard earned. thanks for the info on the gears. i guess the biggest risk on the Hab is a thorough damp check.

my van is having a full damp check tomorrow.... seperate to a hab check. ...:pray::pray:

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you’re travelling to check the motorhome out for yourself it’s worth buying/ borrowing a damp meter to check it for yourself. Look for any discolouration on ceiling, walls. Move ALL the cushions and check inside all the cupboards.
Sorry, I don’t know anything about mechanics but good luck, I hope it’s a good ‘un.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymers of this era were not known for damp issues as far as I know.
Check that no water has been getting past the garage door seal.
The most common problem is the underside of the floor behind the rear wheels particularly if no rear mudflaps are fitted. If the timber is soft and it's not a too bigger area it's easy to repair.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The maxi chassis was 3900kg so that's presumably what this one has with 16"tyres.

If it's a Fiat they upgraded various things early 2002. You can tell cos the speedo binacle is oval. Pre 2002 the binacle was rectangular.

I had a 2002 Hymer 544 to the new spec and kept it for 10 years. Only problem I had was with the wheel bearings that needed replacing. The 2.8 JTD engine is very reliable. Only problems, as mentioned, were with the pre 2002 5th gear due to lubrication problems.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
2002 and earlier.
I have a 2003 x244 Hymer and read ,(can't remember where) that they were mostly ok.
I still treat it with respect, no use of 5th until engine warm and don't let it labour etc.

I do those things with our 2003 X244. I keep the revs above 2100 in 5th

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
If you’re travelling to check the motorhome out for yourself it’s worth buying/ borrowing a damp meter to check it for yourself. Look for any discolouration on ceiling, walls. Move ALL the cushions and check inside all the cupboards.
Sorry, I don’t know anything about mechanics but good luck, I hope it’s a good ‘un.
Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed as this is the model I have been looking for.

Brian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
Check that no water has been getting past the garage door seal.
The most common problem is the underside of the floor behind the rear wheels particularly if no rear mudflaps are fitted. If the timber is soft and it's not a too bigger area it's easy to repair.
Hi Lenny
Thanks for replying but I don't think the B584 has a garage.

Brian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
The maxi chassis was 3900kg so that's presumably what this one has with 16"tyres.

If it's a Fiat they upgraded various things early 2002. You can tell cos the speedo binacle is oval. Pre 2002 the binacle was rectangular.

I had a 2002 Hymer 544 to the new spec and kept it for 10 years. Only problem I had was with the wheel bearings that needed replacing. The 2.8 JTD engine is very reliable. Only problems, as mentioned, were with the pre 2002 5th gear due to lubrication problems.
Very useful advice. I will ask for a dashboard picture to see.
How can we check which version of engine it has?
Still going down tho as we booked a room for Saturday night.

Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
I do those things with our 2003 X244. I keep the revs above 2100 in 5th
2002 and earlier.
Hi nd thanks for the help

Its 43000 miles
She says quote"service history from new"
I'm not sure how to post a link as it was on facebook Hymermarket.
I got the reg No. and has passed ALL MOT's from the first in 220 to the last one in April 19 with NO fails or advisaries.
Also has LPG, 2 bottles and a solar panel, both being on my list if wants.
I can show you pitures of the ad?

Brian

Geoff

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, good luck. We have a hymer camp, 2003 check thoroughly for damp..I was surprised no damp..( Very pleased also) also had 4 previous owners, all going well so far, only had ( zebedee) since last may :clap: had few trips away, doing ? great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian1958

Brian1958

Free Member
Jan 20, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer soon I hope
Exp
Hi, good luck. We have a hymer camp, 2003 check thoroughly for damp..I was surprised no damp..( Very pleased also) also had 4 previous owners, all going well so far, only had ( zebedee) since last may :clap: had few trips away, doing ? great.
I have looked at the camp but just prefered the B584 layout. I hope soon to out and about even if for some reason there is a problem with this one.

Brian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back