How to find a live wire? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Confused here (not fused)!

I would like the reversing twin camera I am about to fit to be live all the time while driving. I understand one of the best places to find the live is at the base of the cigar lighter? I can get at this bit but there are three wires:-

1 grey/red 1 yellow/blue 1 black

I think the grey/red would be live, if I connect to this, I take it the camera will be live while the engine is running yes or no?

colyboy

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Can you not fit it back to the fuse box then finding the cigar fuse, use a piggyback fuse connection.
The twin cam sets sold( £160)ish at the shows and on eBay come compleat with it .
But the cam is always on,so I put an inline mini switch .After the first flat battery.:)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
They will be positive, negative and feed for bulb.
You need to use a meter to safely determine which is which, but yes, camera wil operate with ignition as most cigar lighters are on/off with ignition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Confused here (not fused)!

I would like the reversing twin camera I am about to fit to be live all the time while driving. I understand one of the best places to find the live is at the base of the cigar lighter? I can get at this bit but there are three wires:-

1 grey/red 1 yellow/blue 1 black

I think the grey/red would be live, if I connect to this, I take it the camera will be live while the engine is running yes or no?

colyboy
The 12v feed goes to the centre pin of the cigar lighter socket. Another good place to connect would be the radio feed - you then wouldn't need a separate fuse.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Why bring the wire all the way back to the cig lighter, as I have them on most of the time, I connected mine to the sidelight live at the rear of the van(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back