How to drive in/across a roundabout in Spain (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
How to drive in a roundabout in Spain ( Coche means Car )

Broken Link Removed
Advice from Dirección General de Tráfico – October 2014 (translated to English)

A roundabout is a special type of intersection where the general rule of priority to the right is replaced in favour of those who are already driving inside it. Although they provide drivers with more safety and a more fluid circulation, many drivers seem not to know the basic rules when driving in a roundabout. We will remind you of them here.

There are a wide variety of designs of roundabouts but drivers must always take into account and observe the same principles when entering into a roundabout: giving way to those already driving inside it and choosing the most convenient lane according to the exit you want to take. Once inside the roundabout, the car already driving on the lane always has the right of way with regard to the car that is it trying to access that lane and before exiting the roundabout it is strictly necessary to move to the outer lane in good time. Should it not be possible for the driver to move to the outer lane, the he/she will have to drive around the roundabout again and take the proper lane safely in advance.

Please remember that circulation in a roundabout is always anti-clockwise.

What we do right and wrong:

Broken Link Removed

Car A: The performance of the driver of Vehicle A is correct in the two situations shown in the picture. The driver drives in the outer lane and properly indicates the exit he/she is going to take.

Car B: The driver has chosen to drive through one of the inner lanes to drive around the roundabout, but he/she moves to the outer line early enough to exit the round about.

Car C: In the two examples where Vehicle C is exiting the roundabout from the inner lanes, he/she is doing it incorrectly as he/she is cutting other drivers up and could cause an accident.

Car D: The vehicle is making one of the most common wrong movements. The driver is crossing all lanes, thus cutting other drivers up and creating a risk of accident.

Car E: The lane taken by Vehicle E is correct to change direction, however the driver should have progressively changed lanes earlier and should be in the outer lane before exiting the roundabout.

How do I indicate direction at a roundabout?

In order to access a roundabout, although it is compulsory to indicate to the right, sometimes - especially if the next exit is very close- it is not recommended to indicate, in order to avoid other drivers wrongly thinking that you are going to take the next exit. If you are driving inside the roundabout, you should not be indicating to the left to indicate that you are still circumnavigating; only use it for changing lanes and indicate to the right to show the exit you are going to take.

When should I indicate that I am exiting the roundabout?

We must always indicate early enough when we are going to exit a roundabout but not after having passed the longitudinal axis of the previous exit to avoid drivers behind thinking that we are going to take a different exit.

Can I directly exit the roundabout from an inner lane?

No, you cannot unless proper signs are displayed in the roundabout and the road marked accordingly. In this case, you could exit the roundabout from the inner lane and from the right lane. But please remember that if the outer lane is empty, you are obliged to use it.

How can I exit a roundabout if the outer lane is busy?

Except for the exception mentioned above, the main safety principle of a roundabout obliges you to always exit a roundabout from the outer lane. If you did not have time enough to place your vehicle in the right lane, please do not stop in the middle of the roundabout waiting for other drivers to give way to you. You cannot take the exit cutting other drivers on the outer lane up either. Remember: You do not have right of way!! You must keep driving for another circulation and take the outer lane early enough.

Priority of cyclists when cycling in group:

Cyclists shall be given way by any motor vehicle provided that they are cycling in group and the first of them has already indicated that he/she is crossing or they have entered the roundabout already.

In this sense, it is as if the whole group of cyclists form an imaginary vehicle with the first cyclist at the front and the last cyclist at the back. You MUST allow 1.5 meters from the edge of your car or motorhome and the cyclists at ALL times when passing.

I hope this helps, even the Spanish drivers get confused.............

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We saw two cars come together with a crunch in Palencia, car A was going around the outside past the exit that car B wanted to use as they exited from the inner lane OOPS.

I have been watching to see what the locals do and to be honest there does not seem to be a consensus of opinion so it is wise to keep an especially keen eye on your mirrors.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I hope this helps, even the Spanish drivers get confused.............
Spot on (y) Only trouble is you do that up here whilst taking your driving test you will fail instantly. They still teach them to drive in the right hand lane all around the outside for whatever exit they want & that the inner lane on a 2 lane one is only to go back where you came from.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Spot on (y) Only trouble is you do that up here whilst taking your driving test you will fail instantly. They still teach them to drive in the right hand lane all around the outside for whatever exit they want & that the inner lane on a 2 lane one is only to go back where you came from.
BUT the reason I posted this was for those who already have a driving licence.................. Driving in the right hand lane all the way round is allowed by law, this is way I posted the guide...... as if you cut across ANYONE going "all the way" round you will be judged as in the wrong. It's a minefield.....

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When I go around a roundabout in Spain or France I signal left on approach and keep that signal going while going around the outside lane, until the exit before the one I want then signal right and leave the roundabout. The other drivers tend to treat the inside lane as an overtaking lane just as on the straight road. Many other users don't bother to signal at all.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When I go around a roundabout in Spain or France I signal left on approach and keep that signal going while going around the outside lane, until the exit before the one I want then signal right and leave the roundabout. The other drivers tend to treat the inside lane as an overtaking lane just as on the straight road. Many other users don't bother to signal at all.
And according to the OP your signal is wrong and their lane useage is right...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I saw some truck doing that in France, but in general indicators are underused as in the UK.

Martin

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
That's how I was taught when training for my HGV. I still do it most of the time but I believe even in the UK now the practise is not to indicate you are continuing around the roundabout, just to indicate you are leaving just after you pass the point of no return of the exit before the one you want.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Try a Moroccan roundabout.they sometimes stop and give way to traffic entering and other times its jusf chaos.
Used to be like that in France, the French used to drive straight onto the roundabout, if you were on the roundabout it was up to you to stop, used to be real scary.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Priority is the vehicle on the outside lane even if they go all the way around ! I paid the price €100 immediate payment and the officer got the pencil and pad out to draw a diagram of the correct way.

I go on the outside and no longer use indicators ! Follow the locals it works everytime.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Used to be like that in France, the French used to drive straight onto the roundabout, if you were on the roundabout it was up to you to stop, used to be real scary.

I think the french tought them everything they know about islands and then the Moroccans adapted it to make it even more dangerous.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Damn!!!. That cuts down the "time on target"!!.:D:D:D:D:D

Pete
What it actually means is that on the road outside my house you can overtake cars, lorries , motorbikes but you can't overtake a cyclist as the road isn't wide enough to leave 1,5m & for you to have anything to drive on-:LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What it actually means is that on the road outside my house you can overtake cars, lorries , motorbikes but you can't overtake a cyclist as the road isn't wide enough to leave 1,5m & for you to have anything to drive on-:LOL:

Sounds about right. On the A1035 nr us they built a "Cycle path". Modifying the Foot path at a cost said to be over 1/4Million Pounds!. What do the "Lycra Brigade" do?. They cycle two abreast, on the ROAD still!!!!. How STUPID and brain dead, can you get.

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Sounds about right. On the A1035 nr us they built a "Cycle path". Modifying the Foot path at a cost said to be over 1/4Million Pounds!. What do the "Lycra Brigade" do?. They cycle two abreast, on the ROAD still!!!!. How STUPID and brain dead, can you get.

Pete
I thought if they were outside there 'lane' you could legally knock them off ? :whistle:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Roundabouts were designed for us motorcyclists to have fun on hit em hard get your knee down then accelerate away if possible pulling a nice controlled wheelie.:)

The only thing that ruins our fun is all you plebs in your tin boxes. For gawds sake get out of our way.;):)

Last edited:

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I like the Spanish roundabouts where the main road go through the middle of them and you only use them to turn left. Damn confusioning when the sat nav gives instructions for the roundabout and because they are not always apparent you've missed it before you know where you are.

I am in Greece at the moment and all things traffic are strange. Some roundabouts are conventional with give way signs as you approach. Others have stop signs for those on the roundabout and joining traffic has right of way. Thank goodness that there are not many roundabouts.

Parking here is an art that has been taken to great heights. This morning I saw double parking on a zebra crossing.

Dick

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Down here in Almeria the locals seem to go round the outside of the rounderbout until they reach their exit . I read in a local paper last winter that you should treat the rounderbout as an extension of the road .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The One outstanding thing about Spain`s Drivers. Is the fact the Once they put the "4ways" on they obviously think the car is invisible. They do it everywhere! Junctions, crossings, Double parked in two lane roads. Commit any parking "offence" so long as the 4Ways are On!!!!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back