How to convert apple img photos to windows jpeg (1 Viewer)

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Help needed!

A friend viewed some images from from a wildlife camera trap on his apple computer before I got to classify and record them.. The machine has turned the photos into img files. Does any body know of a good safe way of converting them back into jpegs?
Ronidog

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Never been your route but I’m pretty sure you could use photoshop or most phot editing suites to save as dng or jpeg via save as

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are online websites which will do the conversion or you can install a program to do it. I can't recommend one as I don't have any experience of any other than the "heavyweights" Photoshop and Lightroom, but one link suggests irfanview is worth trying. :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I think that you can convert just by changing the extension from img to jpg. But I am not sure, will try tomorrow if I remember. I may be confusing it with files!

5 other methods here

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
ok thanks for all the help so far. Perhaps I should explain a little further.
havig seen your comments.

The photos were captured as jpegs on 2 sd cards inserted into a trail camera. The sd card was then placed in a apple computer and the photos viewed from the cad on that machine. The cards were handed to me. When I looked at the files they were now named as ._IMG but my pc and software such photoshop elements, winzip etc all say that they cannot read this format. Bit awkward as there are over 1000 shots of small mammals, birds etc on each card.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its not an apple issue, you need a program that will read the img files.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
ok thanks for all the help so far. Perhaps I should explain a little further.
havig seen your comments.

The photos were captured as jpegs on 2 sd cards inserted into a trail camera. The sd card was then placed in a apple computer and the photos viewed from the cad on that machine. The cards were handed to me. When I looked at the files they were now named as ._IMG but my pc and software such photoshop elements, winzip etc all say that they cannot read this format. Bit awkward as there are over 1000 shots of small mammals, birds etc on each card.
Is this the first time you have used the trail camera? It sounds as if it does not record the images as individual photographs but puts them all in one big file from which they have to be extracted. The Apple probably recognised this and did it automatically. I had a dashcam which acted like this which was a pain as it needed a PC to access the images.

I suggest you try some of the ideas in the link Camping Gaza gave.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
We have ten trail cameras on this project. I have viewed thousands of images from them over the last 9 months and never had a problem seeing them on my pc and sharing them. Still it seems like a need to investigate some software ...I will return :)

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
ok good news irfanView works and does a batch conversion Thanks for your help here is one of the photos from a wood on the side of Ingleborough.
IMG_0619.JPG

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
and another just because its something you don't see every day
IMG_0976.JPG

This shrew was taken in the same wood but down a gryke in the limestone pavement.. A secret small world!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back