How to connect gas bbq? (1 Viewer)

mb567

Free Member
Jun 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've bought a Crusader Table Top Gas BBQ which doesn't come with hose, regulator or gas cylinder, so I'm trying to figure out what to buy...

The box says it runs off either a G550 Propane Regulator or G540 Butane Regulator. One option is buying the Butane Regulator together with a CampingGaz cylinder and hose.

But would it instead be possible to turn off all the gas valves inside, turn off the gas cylinder, then unscrew the hose clip for the main Calor 6kg propane cylinder and take that hose, regulator and cylinder out of the locker to use on the bbq?

107504446_2448560972108711_1372385621291059488_n.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I wouldn't be disconnecting the hose from the van.
Easiest way is just get a regulator the same as on the cylinder and rubber gas hose. Connect these to the cylinder and BBQ.
However, this will mean no gas in the van when using the BBQ.
Other option is to install a dedicated external gas point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
1594394046149.png

You need one of these coupled up to your copper pipework as Pappajohn has mentioned.

Far better an idea. The red knob is attached to the gas hose on your BBQ and then pushes into the Buillfinch coupler and twist and its on! Get a gas man to put you one in

Kev

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You could fit one of these, easy to fit and no drilling of body work required.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Without fitting a dedicated bbq point the easiest/cheapest way would be another regulator and bit of pipe. Will cost about Ā£12 and then use that bottle or the spare if you carry 2.

OP
OP
mb567

mb567

Free Member
Jun 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the advice all. I'll be buying another regulator and hose for use with the bbq.

Can I ask another question - in my gas research I noticed references to "new" bulkhead-mounted gas systems and "old" gas systems. It seems I have an old gas system, as the regulator is connected to the cylinder rather than mounted on the bulkhead.

Apparently old gas systems involve a flexible rubber low pressure hose connecting the regulator to the motorhome - but in the picture in my original post above, the wording on the hose says it is high pressure.

Is this anything to worry about using a high pressure hose for a cylinder-connected regulator? I've only just bought this motorhome and tested the gas systems last week (stove, water heater, oven) and all worked fine!

I googled it and this link somewhat worryingly said:

High-pressure regulators have a much narrower nozzle than that fitted to low-pressure regulators and use a much narrower hose (see picture below).

DO NOT TRY TO FORCE A HIGH-PRESSURE HOSE ONTO A LOW-PRESSURE NOZZLE: YOU WILL SNAP THE BRAIDING INSIDE THE HOSE AND THE HOSE MAY SUBSEQUENTLY CRACK AND LEAK, RESULTING IN A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. ALWAYS MATCH THE HOSE SIZE TO THE NOZZLE SIZE AND ONLY USE HOSE DESIGNED FOR LPG AND TO THE CORRECT STANDARD.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the advice all. I'll be buying another regulator and hose for use with the bbq.

Can I ask another question - in my gas research I noticed references to "new" bulkhead-mounted gas systems and "old" gas systems. It seems I have an old gas system, as the regulator is connected to the cylinder rather than mounted on the bulkhead.

Apparently old gas systems involve a flexible rubber low pressure hose connecting the regulator to the motorhome - but in the picture in my original post above, the wording on the hose says it is high pressure.

Is this anything to worry about using a high pressure hose for a cylinder-connected regulator? I've only just bought this motorhome and tested the gas systems last week (stove, water heater, oven) and all worked fine!

I googled it and this link somewhat worryingly said:
Take a photo or more of the whole system you have in your gas locker. Also tell us how old your motorhome is and what make it is. The "new" system has been around for a long time now. ,

OP
OP
mb567

mb567

Free Member
Jun 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Take a photo or more of the whole system you have in your gas locker. Also tell us how old your motorhome is and what make it is. The "new" system has been around for a long time now. ,

It is a 2001 Herald Squire. Here is a picture of the regulator attached to the cylinder - 37mbar.

IMG_20200710_142210.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It is a 2001 Herald Squire. Here is a picture of the regulator attached to the cylinder - 37mbar.

View attachment 407436
In that case you have the "old" system and you swap the regulator between bottles when the gas runs out. Somebody has used high pressure hose for the low pressure feed after the regulator, probably because that is all they had at the time. It will not cause you any problems, but you should never use low pressure hose on a high pressure line.

The "new" system uses specially made high pressure lines between the bottles and the regulator commonly called "pig tails". It makes changing over bottles simpler.

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Without fitting a dedicated bbq point the easiest/cheapest way would be another regulator and bit of pipe. Will cost about Ā£12 and then use that bottle or the spare if you carry 2.
This the route I went on new to me Motorhome.

my old caravan had an external socket Motorhome does not, I have two gas bottles so second one has a 2M hose attached specifically for my bbq šŸ˜

OP
OP
mb567

mb567

Free Member
Jun 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In that case you have the "old" system and you swap the regulator between bottles when the gas runs out. Somebody has used high pressure hose for the low pressure feed after the regulator, probably because that is all they had at the time. It will not cause you any problems, but you should never use low pressure hose on a high pressure line.

The "new" system uses specially made high pressure lines between the bottles and the regulator commonly called "pig tails". It makes changing over bottles simpler.

Thanks - that's reassuring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back