How To Clean Your Windscreen? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980

I have seen several versions including this same formula, which I am a little nervous to try. Basically scrub your windscreen with the finest steel wool. Then use a product called Rain-X (several times), apparently Halfords sell it. Finally polish the screen with first a damp cloth (T-shirt) then a dry cloth (T-shirt).
I had not come across this before but it seems this is one way to clean an RV in America.
Has anyone tried this that I could trust?
Alan

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not used wire wool but have used rain x , it's weird after you have used it and drive when it's raining the rain just goes straight off of the screen.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Used it on my visor in my motorbiking days and it worked brilliantly. The secret is to have the screen/visor absolutely clean to start off with and use as little Rain-X as possible as it seems to smear otherwise. Never been brave enough to try it on a windscreen though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Ok until there is a heavy infestation of insects, which you have to scrub off with insect remover, then you have to re-apply. Tried it at work, even though at that time it wasn't recommended on the windscreen itself (can't remember why). Useful on other windows as insects were not an issue, but you would need a reason to keep other windows clear. Can't remember if you could use it on plastic. Seem to remember it wasn't worth the hassle, but others may have had better experiences.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sits in the garage and used it in the past with great success but often too lazy to bother when I clean the vehicles now.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I use auto glym glass polish first to clean the screen then use the rain x. If you use it on side windows , the water seems to collect and form funny shapes and dance about the glass but that is only on the side windows.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Been using RAIN-X for 5 years both car and MH on windscreen and ALL windows without problem. Not seen wire wool used before hand to clean screen, be worried about that one............

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
After a bit of a think. I tried the wire wool on my mirrors and side windows, lubricating the task with a spray of somebody's cheap glass cleaner. After all, what could go wrong? As it happened, nothing went wrong and my mirrors came up better than usual and could have been even better if I had not used a polishing cloth that had remnants of Simoniz polish on it leaving an interesting bloom to enjoy.
I must think before I do. I must think before I do. I must think before I do. I must think before I do.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can't see wire wool damaging glass.
It's not the most abrasive substance known to man after all.

If you use it on copper pipe it brings the copper very clean and shiny with no scratches.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not sure about the wire wool myself but if you want a windscreen sealer (thats what RainX is) there are far better longer lasting ones on the market and for about the same price. My favourite is Aquapel

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Always use rainX clean the screen then put the rainX on surprising then when you drive say on the motorway and its light rain the rin just beads off the screen no need for wipers.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@cruiser has a good device for cleaning windscreens, especially that awkward to get at bit under the Luton......:whistle2:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
rainx is good but a bit dear, but saying that only need to use it 3 times a year

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Put some RailX in the washer bottle as well then it gets replenished every time you squirt (sometimes the words just don't come out right)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect the wire wool will slowly disintegrate as you use it and lots of very fine wire will collect along the bottom of the windscreen - where it will go rusty. I guess you could rinse it away with a powerful jet of water but it is something to be wary of.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
surely a nylon pan scourer and some lubricant would be safer than wire wool. the steel is hard enough to scratch the glass, only microscopically maybe but still damaging to the surface

hard to beat vinegar for cleaning glass and removing all traces of bugs and polish. it used to be common for people to use vinegar and old newspaper. it still works very well

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Apparently full-fat Coke is a good cleaner of glass (and chrome on classic cars)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Apparently full-fat Coke is a good cleaner of glass (and chrome on classic cars)
yes the citric acid content, but the sugar content leaves a residue

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yes the citric acid content, but the sugar content leaves a residue

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Detailing clay works wonders on glass, I guess rainx is the glass equivalent of car wax, causes the water to bead and reduces friction so airflow pushes it off the glass better.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Detailing clay works wonders on glass, I guess rainx is the glass equivalent of car wax, causes the water to bead and reduces friction so airflow pushes it off the glass better.
its a silicon polymer that fills the microscopic pores on the surface of the glass preventing the water from adhering

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I use water, a drop of washing up liquid, a sponge, the Karcher and a polish with a window cloth. It takes me about 5 minutes and it leaves it sparkling.

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
While driving my sister to her home, my windscreen wipers were leaving greasy film across the screen. I explained I needed to clean the blades, she said "here, use this" and gave me a freshly removed wet nappy from her month old baby. She explained that its high ammonia content would do the job, and it did, perfectly clear, like new operation of wipers on screen.

Vinegar and other high acidity fluids can also cut through greasy film better than some detergents for a squeaky clean screen.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can't see wire wool damaging glass.
It's not the most abrasive substance known to man after all.

If you use it on copper pipe it brings the copper very clean and shiny with no scratches.
Tried it yonks ago and yes it works ok..
HOWEVER !!!!!

Do not under any circumstances use it ( or indeed anything that is even slightly abrasive ) on any glass if the temperature is close to or below freezing.
I have absolutely why it should be, but I have seen some seriously damaged windscreens when folk have used odd things to clean the ice of off a screen
The funniest one was one of those thin cheap plastic flower pots.. Apparently it was all the guy could find but it left the windscreen looking like an ice rink after a particularly vigorous game of hockey !

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
newspaper usede to work until they went over to synthetic inks the old stuff had meths in it youll have noticed it no longer comes of on your fingers

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We had Rain X on the windscreen of my wife's Hyundai i20 when we bought it, compliments of the dealer,all good so far, but last year when we went to have a chip repaired in the screen, it would not work due to the Rain X on the screen so the repairer said, he had come across this before apparently.

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not tried the wire wool but used rain-x and its quite good. Also tried the rain-x on the shower door...works a treat.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
OK, good timing this. By chance I was watching a program about old coaches and busses last night and one old driver happened to say that cutting a potato in half and smearing the windscreen with the open ends was great for keeping them clean and preventing water spotting. Not tried it yet, anyone else heard of it? I was going to try it out lunchtime but I was eating chips at the time....:think:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back