how to claim a benifit? anyone got a solution? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I also would like to belive there is no favoritisam in where you come from!

We rented a house to a family from Hungary for just over a year (3 bed det bungalow) They were a very nice hard working couple with 3 children. They had been in England 2 years, they left our property after 13 months as they were offered a 3 bed council house in the local area. From my understanding most English people have been on a list for much longer and still no offer of a local athority property.

This is fact and not an urban myth.
yes I have known of similar situations and am puzzled as to how and why. I know of a couple who have two adult boys 14 and 16, c and are renting a one bed flat privately. she is allowed to bid on the council housing list. but two years later, nothings changed. yet, last year a foreign family was moved from London to the house next door. They have 4 young children under 10 and themselves. The most rooms they would be allocated is 3 or 4 bedrooms. yet they have 6 bedrooms. I did read once that in London, someone got prosecuted because she was discriminating against whites. You didn't stand a chance of getting housed.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
And millions of others..... the majority of one man bands are doing similar, can't say I blame them...
You *might* be successful and prosper, if not you have a guaranteed income from tax credits - seems the right way for the Lodger to go...
This is definitely not the way to go from this year onwards.Have you seen the new changes to working tax credits if SELF employed? Almost impossible to claim.
Now this year they are targeting SELF employed persons claiming working tax credits. It used to be based on your annual income. This year you have to log on monthly and fill in forms. If you make a profit in one month, you cant claim for a while, even if you made a loss. But the worse is a lot of disabled persons and people in their 50s and 60s are working for below min wage, because at least they are still productive, mixing with people, etc. Now working tax credit is saying, ok if you are working x amount of hours, we are saying you are getting paid min wage. x amount of hours x min wage = x amount of income. Therefore you are earning too much to claim or only entitled to a lower x amount of working tax credits. The danger of this is that if you are not earning that much, and don't get a benefit, your housing allowance as a low earner is STOPPED, how you going to pay your rent.? A lot of these people, will be forced to give up work and claim the whole range of benefits just to keep their roof, and the chances of them getting a job, on the market, at min wage, at their age and or health state, is low. I don't know what the answer is for these people. But what I do know is that I would prefer someone to do some work with an income, and perhaps claim £20/ £30/50 in working tax, and a bit of housing money ie £40= £90 from the state. If not working, in our area they would be claim jsa £75 and £65 for a room or £110 for a flat = £185 weekly from the state.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
UPDATE. Two weeks before my lodgers appeal, ESA contacted him yesterday, saying there had been a glitch with their computer system, and he is entitled to ESA, and they are back paying him.
He also received his operation date, one year later. The delay for operation is due to the fact he also needs a bone graft besides a replacement hip.
Disgraceful the way some people a left with nothing to live off after they have paid all their stamps to date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks for the update, glad it's coming together at last.
Ooooh, makes you want to spit though! Any apologies??? Any compensation for stress???

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Thanks for the update, glad it's coming together at last.
Ooooh, makes you want to spit though! Any apologies??? Any compensation for stress???
They did apologies, but didn't offer compensation. He is still going to the appeal though, because they are only paying him up to the appeal??????? It will be for the appeal to see if he is entitled, or continues to get ESA , something like that. I think they should pay compensation because he has been living on his credit card so has gained interest on the money used. Also when you use your credit card for cash, its costs a bomb. Also he is waiting to hear from the referral the mp sent off to that department you mentioned.
But im happy for him that nearly all is sorted out. Thanks to everyones advice on his options of what he should do about his situation.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Sadly real life is not what the Daily Fail would have us believe. According to recent research 90 people per month are dying after being declared fit for work. I find this shocking in a country that is supposed to be one of the wealthiest in the world.
https://www.theguardian.com/society...ied-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures
have read the link and its worrying that so many are dying, due to shortness of cash. Like the article said, my lodger was one of those who was declared fit for work, and could not claim ESA, but should claim job seakers JSA. Where he differs is that JSA, would not allow him to sign on, saying he was too disabled. So he couldn't claim anything at all in spite of being up to date with his stamps.
And no lawyer would help him, because he wasn't on benefits to receive legal aid.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If anyone else is in this predicament the Disability Information Bureau are very helpful. They are completely impartial and are well versed in dealing with government bodies. In my view they are better than the CAB.
http://www.dibservices.org.uk/

Reactions: DBK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@camperlove wrote, "saying there had been a glitch with their computer system"

They are talking Borrocks (Sic). There is no such thing as a 'Glitch' in a computer system.
A computer will only compute on what a HUMAN (in this case at whereever this apology for a Govn. worker) inputs into it.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The Tories behaved this way the last time they were in power & they've learned nothing from it. Everyone can see that the gravy train cannot keep running unchecked, but the inability to sort out the true from the false seems beyond any of the governments this country has had.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
That poor man, what an unfair situation.
Could he perhaps get a letter from JSA confirming that they are saying he is too disabled for work to present to ESA? The authorities can't have it both ways.
I read somewhere that solicitors will give some initial free advice but not sure if this is correct?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back