How the he*l do you clean the white Rapido plastic locker and door handles. (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just had 20 minutes panic as the hab lock barrel is far more complicated to put back :LOL: thought I was going to have to strip the door :eek:
It requires the use of both the key and the tool and I'm not taking it out again to recall what I did until AFTER my holiday :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Right then I think instructions for hab door lock removal/replacement are critical so I've just done it again with pictures and instructions
I'll do a photo blog when I get home

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Incorrect on the hab door too :LOL:

Might be incorrect for yours.

All I can tell you is about mine.

If you're so sure I'm wrong about my van why don't you come and do it for me to prove it? (y):LOL:

By the way my hab door lock looks nothing like yours. Just thought you might like to know that before you tell me how wrong I am. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yup :p
9th wedding anniversary today so two weeks to celebrate :party2:
Yay! Happy Anniversary a 2 week celebration!! That's a good one are you off to France? Have a great time! Best wishes to you and Jacs .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

If you're so sure I'm wrong about my van why don't you come and do it for me to prove it? (y):LOL:

By the way my hab door lock looks nothing like yours. Just thought you might like to know that before you tell me how wrong I am. (y)
From the guide (y)
Zadi / Vecam locks are used on many vehicles but this is specific to Rapido. If your locks don't look like this it may be a later version and not suitable instructions.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

I am dealing with the OP's door and locks as he pictured :whistle: you're just butting in with a posh nooer van :LOL:

@goneoff ss lock
img_5389-jpg.106602

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Apparently my locks with the red key shutter are the latest and current Zadi barrels. So I'm wondering if yours are in fact FAP or something else.
These are zadi keys original and a copy.
If yours don't look anything similar then you have a different lock completely
image.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@NickNic what does your key number start with?

The old one started with a 9. Not sure about the new one, not at home to check.

Apparently my locks with the red key shutter are the latest and current Zadi barrels. So I'm wondering if yours are in fact FAP or something else.

The barrels are definitely Zadi but both mechs are different to yours - the lockers take a 180 degree turn to lock or unlock and the hab looks completely different. I think the hab only needs about 45 degrees to lock or unlock but it will turn 90.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, the barrels are the same but the lock mechanisms aren't. If I was anywhere near the van I would take some pictures but that's going to have to wait until next week.

I'll make a point of going over one day next week and having another play with the hab door. Once I figure it out I'll post some pictures.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Back on thread! I,ve. Found if you don't wash the rest of the van the locker handles blend in quite nicely. And congrats from me too

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine all look like this
image.jpeg

This is as clean as I could get one with autoglym super resin polish and a lot of effort
image.jpeg

I think the best solution is a strip de grease and spray job which should solve the porosity

Surprisingly they are made by FAP so I don't get it that they use zadi lock barrels

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mine all look like this
View attachment 107183
This is as clean as I could get one with autoglym super resin polish and a lot of effort
View attachment 107185
I think the best solution is a strip de grease and spray job which should solve the porosity

Surprisingly they are made by FAP so I don't get it that they use zadi lock barrels
Hi Andy that is just about the standard of cleanliness I reached by taking the handle off and scrubbing with Cif for what seemed to be like hours. I think you are right about sealing them with paint, I will let you know the result if I try preparing and spraying one although I suspect I will go scruffy for another year. Thanks again for your response. Phil

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Rapido 7066f Reg 2007. We purchased last year at great Malvern lovely van only 1 problems broken garage handle (white) unable to find a supplier, any help would be great. One other item cable run from garage Sola power terminal block to battery is this in trunking under the floor ??. Any info would help.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Don't use Cif on those handles or use a polish like SRP. Use Autosmart G101. Mix it 50/50 with water to clean ingrained muck off them. Rince down everywhere the solution has made contact with and re wax if required.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I read some where that paroxide was the way forward the stuff women bleach there hair with, but cant remember where i read it, just paint it on and leave for ten minutes?
worth a try(y)
just read it some where, not that interested all my handles are black:)

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I read some where that paroxide was the way forward the stuff women bleach there hair with, but cant remember where i read it, just paint it on and leave for ten minutes?
worth a try(y)

I have to advise against using strong chemicals for purposes they are or were not designed for ! Honestly over the years I have seen so much damaged done even with the best intentions.

Autosmart G101 is a very good APC ( All Purpose Cleaner) it is brilliant for automotive uses and it will I think be very effective on the door handles pictured in this thread.

It is dilutable and must be diluted with water. To strong can cause problems which is why I said above to rinse well to dilute away and remove the product after cleaning those handles.

My recommendation of 50/50 is in reality a very strong starting point but I feel to get that ingrained grime away that's an ideal starting point. Again I repeat rinse straight away and do not allow the mix to dry. This will ensure no staining or incedental damage is done from the strong mix.

Please don't use products willy nillly or you may cause more problems than you cure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back