How the Finns become the Worlds best rally drivers? (1 Viewer)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Sad bit of news I've just read that Colin McCrae was killed in a helicopter crash in 2007
Both Colin McRae and Richard Burns, two of the names that are synonymous with the growth of the sport through the 90's are no longer with us. Burns succumbed to a brain tumour after falling ill on a road section in Rally GB , and never making a full recovery. The sport has been sanitised a lot , but nothing prepares you for the noise and speed. Been lucky enough to do a fair few hours in a WRC car in the past, as ballast LOL, never passed up a chance, one day it will be the last time you do it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sad bit of news I've just read that Colin McCrae was killed in a helicopter crash in 2007
I remember it well, as far as I can remember that was some speculation that Colin was being his usual reckless self. can't believe it was 12 years ago though, where did that go!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Jeeso, some of you need to get on the beta Blockers!

Its a bunch of young lads with a passion for construction and riding of bikes, lets just enjoy that. Which one of us wouldn't like to be out there with them?

Sometimes it appears to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. They're not posting clips of them selves all pissed up and leathering people, or vandalising bus stops or mugging old ladies Oh Please!! But instead thye show their skills and spread their enthusiasm.

As for the noisy dickheads comment? lighten up there Komrad. I thought the vid may get some flag waving environmental nay-sayer to pop out of the wood work and complain about it but you're barking up the wrong conifer on this occasion.

And here is why; you would change your tune if you have ever lived in Finland as I have. It is a place bigger than the UK and has a population of 5 million people. Outside the few major cities there is absolutely nothing but trees and logging roads, there are no ramblers, joggers, cyclists, pick-nickers, walkers, hikers or anybody else to give riders grief or for them to annoy in turn; the country is f**king empty!

If you can't have fun there on a bike then where can you?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fun !!
I think the reason he had to keep hitting the rev limiter is simply he had to keep the revs high to stop it bogging down
Thats the trouble running an in line four with a top end biased lump on the dirt !
Put a softer cam in, maybe slightly lower compression pistons so you get more torque

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Being a petrol head myself one of the most satisfying things I did driving a car is drifting/sliding it around on the loose stuff.

Great satisfaction in handbrake turns as well.
Unfortunately my enthusiasm far out weighed my skill level ??

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The mindset to be the sort of rally driver he was is not a good one for operating a helicopter , as it proved. You can push the envelope a bit with most fixed wing but if you manage it once with rotary , don't think you will manage it twice and succeed !

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
The loss of Colin McCrae was felt very deeply in the Clyde valley where we lived at the time
Some of the moaners formed a slow moving display through the valley as they were fellow Subaru drivers.
Phil

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The loss of Colin McCrae was felt very deeply in the Clyde valley where we lived at the time
Some of the moaners formed a slow moving display through the valley as they were fellow Subaru drivers.
Phil
I bet they don't feel like that now, after the truth came out.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Where you been living ? under a rock Oh Please! ......tumble weed ... 12 years ....tumble weed

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Whats that navigator all about? Flat Left 50 "maybe", flat right 200 "maybe" well does he know the road or doesn't he?:xgrin:
Never heard "maybe" used before, it would not give me any confidence, imagine if the misses says to you in the van, next left "maybe" then first right "maybe" would you trust her?:xlaugh:
LES
I’m one of those mugs that occasionally sit in the hot Seat calling pace notes ?. The way they are called has changed a lot over the years and back then, you could recce some of the stages in a road car so that you could prepare your own notes for the event ...... take account of local conditions etc. So “maybe” would come in if you think the rally car would take bend differently to the road car at that point ie ..... call it and leave it to the driver to make his mind up ?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m one of those mugs that occasionally sit in the hot Seat calling pace notes ?. The way they are called has changed a lot over the years and back then, you could recce some of the stages in a road car so that you could prepare your own notes for the event ...... take account of local conditions etc. So “maybe” would come in if you think the rally car would take bend differently to the road car at that point ie ..... call it and leave it to the driver to make his mind up ?
Or (Derived from a pistonheads discussion of the same video): -
'Maybe' - Depends how much speed you're carrying from the previous corner and how good your line is... if your exit was good it's flat, if your exit was poor it might be flat if you're line is perfect, but best have a little lift otherwise.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some of you seem to be forgetting Rule 1 of this forum. Jim takes a few hours with his family at Christmas and some take advantage by being downright rude to other members

grow up a bit please, name calling is for children

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
some of you seem to be forgetting Rule 1 of this forum. Jim takes a few hours with his family at Christmas and some take advantage by being downright rude to other members

I didn't see any name calling ???

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017

Oh dear Mr BIG 1 have you succumbed to too much sherry ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back