How soon do you book your crossing to France? (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you so much for all of your responses and advice. It's definitely worth asking questions as you lot are so knowledgeable.

Clarky....I like the sound of that campsite so I will look it up. Would I need to book in advance or can I just turn up?

It's flipping cold up here in Yorkshire. Brrrrrr......... and I don't like it one bit :(

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you so much for all of your responses and advice. It's definitely worth asking questions as you lot are so knowledgeable.

Clarky....I like the sound of that campsite so I will look it up. Would I need to book in advance or can I just turn up?

It's flipping cold up here in Yorkshire. Brrrrrr......... and I don't like it one bit :(

We always go at off peak times and have never booked a site in France, we just turn up and have never found a full site.
However, I think you said you are travelling at Easter so that might be very different. As Les Erables is very popular but quite small I would be inclined to book to be sure of getting a pitch.

Richard.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have never been to France in my MH before so I am a little nervous. I want to book now for next Easter, leaving just before the school hols start and returning a few days after they end. I will be travelling down from Yorkshire so will look to stay overnight somewhere near Folkestone. I am a little worried about the return journey, as I did read a story on here somewhere that a man found three migrants in his van, and they had got in by forcing a window. I travel solo so any advice would be really gratefully received.[/QUOTE

Just booked April and July for next year and found P and O the cheapest for a change. Going out early ish on Sunday 2nd April. We have used Wissant on return but can get very busy (dont be tempted to park in the middle if the busses have to come back) Others that are far enough away Hondschoote and Bergues with no migrant issues at all. Oye Plage also has no issues but isnt the nicest and then Gravelines (but you have to pay!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Le shuttle is great , but although only about 130 from me its a horrendous journey on the most overused motorways in Britain and takes me 4 hours on a good day .so don't use it it anymore . Its ferry for me as Portsmouth is about 1.1/4 hrs from me and very easy to get to .does cost a bit more but that's offset with the convenience and stress plus a fuel saving ... If you use the shuttle don't forget to take up the offer of the sanef toll tag .an absolute ness for any solo and also convenience for all vehicles under 3.5t ..Roy

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
And me for June. .lol also if anyone is looking for Brittany ferries discount code give me a shout .Roy

Hi Roy, I would appreciate the discount code for Brittany Ferries. Today is the day I am finally going to book my passage to France. Yay.....very excited.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I mean 'toll'......I am a twit.
Hahahaha. Its a device that you put in your windscreen and as you approach a toll booth instead of having to get out and pay the barrier lifts and you get a bill depending on your useage of the toll roads ....so much easier for a solo driver with a rhd vehicle.Roy

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
The last two years we have had a Frequent Traveler package with Eurotunnel so can book 24hrs ahead.
Up until then we used to cross with P&O, Dover/Calais.
I really couldn't see any difference in price between trying to book weeks/months ahead or booking a couple of days ahead.
It seemed that as long as you booked at least 48hrs ahead the price was the same. After 48hrs the last minute price was much higher.
As long as you can be a little flexible with day and time I can't see the benefit of booking months ahead unless you have to have a particular day/time.

Richard.
can you get the time and day you want when booking so close? I booked well in advance to get a 7 in the morning crossing . This is my first time using the tunnel

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
can you get the time and day you want when booking so close? I booked well in advance to get a 7 in the morning crossing . This is my first time using the tunnel
The shuttles run so frequently, usually every 20 minutes, that they are rarely full in our experience. Never had to change the time or day because a train was full. As we are retired it really wouldn't matter if we had to travel a day later as we tend to just choose a random day, depending on any commitments at home.
Often there are only 10-12 high vehicles on a very long train so lots and lots of room.
However, as we have the Frequent Traveller package we have to travel at off peak times so it would be quieter. We cross to France late afternoon and just stop as soon as we get across, Cite Europe or Gravelines are favourites.
Don't have to have that early start that we used to have when we tried to drive to Dover and cross early so that we could drive for miles on the other side. Leaving home at about midday means a relaxing day..............even round the M25. (y):D

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back