How safe is my roof (1 Viewer)

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I really must clean the roof of moho but am concerned about if it is safe to clamber up there. Weighing in at a mere fourteen and a half stone will I do any damage.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What van is it

It makes all the difference , I can clamber all over the roof on my Frankia. .but wouldn't risk it on my sister's autocruise as hers flexes a fair bit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mushy
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
2002 Swift Kontiki and no smart arse comments about leaks thankyou.

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
I also have a kontiki albeit at 1996 model. Only bought it a couple if months ago but was assured that it was ok to go on the roof. The over cab area has a notice on it to say not to walk on that area of the roof. However, I haven't tried it yet...

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Put a towel on it, then a board to spread the weight. Don't go in the middle or near the sun roofs, stick to round the edges and it will be ok (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Stay off the roof if at all possible, not for fear of you going through it, but flexing can and does break seals on seams and around roof fixtures,
It also causes sag and water pooling, not good if that happens around a seam or roof light
your particular roof is if in factory condition good for well over your weight
but if supports have suffered damp ingress and rot then who knows 8 stone may be too much
as @Blue Knight says ladder and telescoping brush is ample, safer and preferable

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Bob a job, hated it, digging bloody garden for a whole bob. Of course they stopped doing it, but wouldn't be good getting van waxed for a bob.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
I asked Bailey and they told me that is ok to walk on the roof of there motorhomes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
German vans with a closed cell PU foam sandwich allow 75kg on the roof. I think Swift only use polystyrene so I wouldn't want to risk it, high risk of damage.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
General rule of thumb, if it’s got the patterned raised pieces on it it’s ok to go in those areas.
Main part to stay of is over cab area I don’t think there’s a lot of stiffening in n this area.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've just been up and done mine again on this aire as they had a ladder ....wouldnt believe how dirty it was considering I just done it a month or so ago.

It's parked right next to @BreweryDave s so can't have my roof being dirtier than his:p

Only took half an hour though

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I don't think I would like to walk on my Autotrail roof or as some unkind person called it Watertrail.
To say the least I'm quite well built and that is probably being economic with the truth.

It's ok some saying it is OK to walk on certain parts of the roof but it's you who must deal with the consequences if the worst happens.

I think I would air on the side of caution and as someone has already said ladder and long brush etc. I know it would be easier to do it from a stand point on the roof but I for one would not risk it even if I was your weight.
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Since our roof is the same double aluminium and styrofoam sandwich as the walls, none of which have any re-inforcing, so have to be structurally strong I assume the roof is too. Also N+B offered a ladder as optional extra, so implies roof is OK for standing on.

OP
OP
mushy
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Hmmm I think I will err on the side of caution. There are two tubes that run the length of the roof I could make up a home made youngmans board and straddle the roof to get better access to the awkward to get to places. Thanks for your words of wisdom everyone you may now take the p*ss.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
whats all this getting on the roof about are you not married now behind the wall waiting for the incoming :imoutahere:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our roof is ‘safe’ to 75kg according to the manual but I wouldn’t dream of walking on it unless I had absolutely no other option due to the possibility of flex disturbing sealant. It’s surprising what you can reach from the side to clean the roof.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
It’s a Swift, I wouldn’t worry about it, they’re built like tanks.

..............water tanks..........
could go for the indoor pool modification :LOL:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I know not all of us have them, but we have used a scaffolding tower in the past. We had enough 2ft lifts to erect them either side of the MH and put a couple of large planks across without touching the roof itself.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Scaffo...anised-Steel/261206309482?hash=item3cd11bfa6a

I hasten to add it was to facilitate a very fiddly job in the centre of the roof.

For washing the roof we use a ladder with foam insulation on the uprights and then a long handled soft brush and a hosepipe (not after 6th August Your Worship)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never had a problem, or a leak, on either of our Kontiki.... And I'm 17st plus bucket of soapy water, mop, hose pipe, flask, sandwiches, chair, table, radio. :LOL:
My RV fiberglass roof had a steel loop frame and I could have parties up there. .. But the Yanks know how to built em.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bob a job, hated it, digging bloody garden for a whole bob. Of course they stopped doing it, but wouldn't be good getting van waxed for a bob.
My "Bob a Job" claim to fame is that I polished Old man Prestons boots and chopped sticks, that is Old man Dickie Preston as in Prestons of Potto you might have seen their wagons on the road, in those days they had one wagon and a Steam engine the steam traction engine hauled brick up the A19 during the fuel shortage apparently (Suez crisis I think).

My other experience was not so good, knocked on the door of the local pub which had just changed hands, "knock knock" door opens "it's cub scout Bob a Job week have you anything I can do please" I get a proper snooty "do you know who we are" reply "our Son is David Coverdale from whitesnake" well that went right over my head but I still didn't get a Job or a Bob miserable gits:LOL:

Martin

EDIT and just so I can't be accused of going off topic I should add that yes I do go on our roof but if we had a Swift and I weighed 5 stone more than I do I might think twice about it;) actually delete the Swift bit, if I was 17 stone I would think twice even on our van.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
B & Q sell some good high reach step ladders at good prices during their sales and together with a brush with an extending pole sold by most Caravan dealers / Amazon sorts out most of our high level cleaning duties after a few weeks away. Never would I get up onto the roof of a Motorhome constructed in recent years to clean it after seeing how many new vans are constructed.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
B & Q sell some good high reach step ladders at good prices during their sales and together with a brush with an extending pole sold by most Caravan dealers / Amazon sorts out most of our high level cleaning duties after a few weeks away. Never would I get up onto the roof of a Motorhome constructed in recent years to clean it.
Depends entirely on the model of van
Nothing to do with the age just the difference in build techniques and materials used

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Depends entirely on the model of van
Nothing to do with the age just the difference in build techniques and materials used
Happy to go with that, but the days of ladders fitted to the back of motor homes to access the roof seen to have disappeared nowadays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mushy
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Mine has the ladder to nowhere and its just a pain because you cannot open the rear window wide enough to get it to stay on the first click. Its on the list to be removed.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Willing to go with that, but the days of ladders fitted to the back of motor homes to access the roof seen to have disappeared nowadays.
I don't think they've just disappeared they've just become more if an optional extra than a standard fitment ...probably as more vans now have garages or large external lockers and double floors etc. ..and it's only really someone with canoes or windsurfing gear that uses a roofrack.

A lot of older vans that had ladders fitted still had weak roofs but many didn't.

My old n reg euramobil had roof rack and ladder access and a very sturdy roof as did my mobilvetta....but I didn't use them much.
My dad's swift kontiki had one and you could feel the roof move beneath your feet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back