How safe is a bike rack (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Have just purchased a new motorhome "Tribute 615" and the dealer (Brownhills) fitted a two bike rack by Fiamma. I have added to that a Fiamma 500 box. and the next thing I see in MMM is a picture of damage to someone's motorhome caused by his bike rack. I am aware of the loading restrictions but am now worried about potential problems. Has anyone any experience of these things failing in use.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We used a Fiamma 3 bike rack mounted on the back of our first van without any issues. However, will go for a tow ball mounted one if we revert to bikes on the current van, only because the van came with the tow bar and no pre-installed cycle rack (no point in drilling holes if we don't need to).

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Does it Have a Loading Limit specified? One Assumes that Brownhills fitted it to the Manufactures approved Points?

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
We have 2 electric bikes on ours with batteries taken out no problems rack rated at 60kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Am assuming Brownhills fitted it correctly and it does have load limits which I will adhere to inc

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had a Fiamma ( I think) 4 bike rack fitted to our first motorhome.

During a trip across Spain a few years back the rack started coming away from the motorhome so we had to take the bikes off and load them into the van ( not a great experience). No damage to the van but we took it back to the dealers who fitted more substantial brackets and no issues after that.

I think the damage was done going up and down the ferry ramp because the bikes were bouncing up and down quite a lot and even to my non technical mind that must increase the load on the rack.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Thanks everyone, looks as if it can happen but not often. I guess the secret is to watch the weights very carefully.(out with the bathroom scales again)

Upvote 0

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I don't think there is any problem with the rack, it all depends on the fitting. We assumed ours had been fitted by the manufacturer so trusted it until one morning I noticed that one of the top fittings was away from the van. It turned out that it had been fitted with wood screws into the wooden beams put in by the manufacturers of the van. So obviously had been fitted after by some cowboy. Now fitted with stainless coach bolts drilled through and large washers behind. So I am now comfortable with using it. Moral: Don't assume anything!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They are fine until you hit a sleeping policeman you didn't see at speed. This is when they get damaged even if you are within the weight restrictions. Drive carefully and you will be safe.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've used a 4 bike rack on an Autotrail with 5 on it and no problems. 2 adult, 3 kids bikes. Always make sure the heaviest bikes are closest to the van. Yet I've seen a 2 bike rack pull out leaving considerable damage as a result of poor fitting. We now prefer the tow bar bike racks as you can take them off when not needed. That said, a properly fitted and loaded bike rack should do many thousands of miles without a problem.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I saw a van at one of the shows that looked like someone had attacked the rear wall with a ball pein hammer it was just incorrect loading of the bike rack and the handlebars had played havoc with the motion of driving ,such a shame.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back