How Safe Are French Aires? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We are working on our route just now.. When we've done it I will post it up and will be very grateful to anyone who can advise us of good Aires on or way.
We are going from Plymouth to Roscoff and land at 3 in the afternoon and will be heading south. So an Aire within an hour of Roscoff would be ace .

Thanks.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You may have seen this site and apologies if someone has posted it before in this thread, but the best source of aires in France is, in my opinion, the website Camping Car Infos. It has been running for several years and we have been using it for at least six. You can download a POI file from the site for a SatNav as well as researching aires. It is in French but quite easy to follow.
Click in the centre of the home page then choose 'chercher / ajouter une aire' on the left hand side. France is arranged by départements. It is also a good source for many other countries.
CAMPINGCAR-INFOS

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
One of the roughest French aires I stayed in was in La rochelle where all sorts of wierd and wonderful people were staying and a drug fuelled party was going on in the park next door, No problems. I stayed on a lovely peaceful aire in one french manicured wine region and the Germans next door had all their bikes nicked off the back!

The La rochelle aire is not one I would rush back to ....we had no problems but there were some very iffy characters around . Shame because La Rochelle is a nice town .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gluck

Free Member
Sep 22, 2012
gillingham, Kent
Funster No
MH
autocruise stargazer H/To
Exp
4th summer with present van, previously VW campervans
Talking to an old pal who used to have a MH today and was picking his brains about travelling in France.. He was not at all keen on Aires. He said he felt they were not the safest places to stay and felt a bit like a sitting target...

Now obviously an Aire in a rough area or perhaps in a supermarket car park may be best avoided ? This was his words not mine as We haven't crossed the water yet.

So rather than listen to his alarmist opinions I thought I would ask the MF massive .

Our plan is to use camp sites most of the time and Aires if we are struggling.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One of the roughest French aires I stayed in was in La rochelle where all sorts of wierd and wonderful people were staying and a drug fuelled party was going on in the park next door...
That's just what happens when folk post details of their favourite aires on Fun. :)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If it's the same one we stayed at - off an industrial estate, a small bay with a beach shower - apparently it's a notorious dogging spot. We wondered why cars and scooters would park with their headlights pointing at the van. Didn't notice any action, though. Thank goodness.

gluck

Free Member
Sep 22, 2012
gillingham, Kent
Funster No
MH
autocruise stargazer H/To
Exp
4th summer with present van, previously VW campervans
My friend and I have been using Aires sites since 2012, travelling both in Scandinavia and also France and Italy. Always avoiding those on major roads where by using Aires directories which has taken us from a farm with all services in the east of Denmark at about £3 p.n. to Central Stockholm which was very cheap for Sweden within walking distance of the city centre at £25 a night. Or a free site near Tours in France which also included free hook-up and free WIFI.

If we are stuck for a site in France, a small village car park sometimes next to the Mayor's office will do.

Herewith a photo taken on a free Aires site on the river Marne on a hot day which a fellow camper-vanner was also enjoying.

7926 relaxing.jpg

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've been using free Aires in pretty well all Europe for around two months every year since 2002.
Never had a problem. There is a rule that no awnings out, or tables and chairs, this is classed as camping which is illegal! A high number of people seem to ignore this rule, however, but my other half and I try not to upset the applecart! As for security, it seems to be a lot of fear of apparent robberies, but I've never known anybody who has been actually robbed. It's usually a "friend of a friend" heard about it. Quite often I've stayed overnight on motorway services and used their showers for the fee of $2.00. To save money we usually share the shower, coining the phrase "wears the soap" :whistle:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
My friend and I have been using Aires sites since 2012, travelling both in Scandinavia and also France and Italy. Always avoiding those on major roads where by using Aires directories which has taken us from a farm with all services in the east of Denmark at about £3 p.n. to Central Stockholm which was very cheap for Sweden within walking distance of the city centre at £25 a night. Or a free site near Tours in France which also included free hook-up and free WIFI.

If we are stuck for a site in France, a small village car park sometimes next to the Mayor's office will do.

Herewith a photo taken on a free Aires site on the river Marne on a hot day which a fellow camper-vanner was also enjoying.

View attachment 71585
Must be caravan club members - they have flowers in a vase on the table! :D:LOL:(y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
20150806_115447.jpg

This isn't even an aire... it is an off-site Freeloaders parking place.

Rather quiet today...

47 metres from the beach of the lake.

Mind you...

Rufty Tufties are in the area...

20150805_183509_002.jpg

The more motorhomers that think these places are more dangerous than campsites and official aires, the more spaces will be available...

JJ and Frankie. :cool:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Someone (who didn't dare wildcamp) once asked me if I wasn't afraid of meeting some bad guy when wildcamping. My reply was how would they know I myself, at 6ft and 215lbs, wasn't the bad guy they were afraid of meeting. All a matter of perception really.

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
Aires are ace! We use them all the time and our holidays cost next to nothing! The point of aires is that most towns have them, set up by the local mayors. They cost very little to stay in; the point being, you spend money in the town and everyone benefits. We always make sure to buy something locally, even if it's only a baguette and some fish or chicken. Generally speaking, they're safe and set in a reasonable location. There is, as always in these circumstances, an odd one which is a bit dubious but I can honestly say, in all the years we've been staying in France, we've very rarely stayed on campsites, simply because the Aires have been more than adequate. Go for it, what do you have to lose? And wait till you go to Germany!!

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month
Talking to an old pal who used to have a MH today and was picking his brains about travelling in France.. He was not at all keen on Aires. He said he felt they were not the safest places to stay and felt a bit like a sitting target...

Now obviously an Aire in a rough area or perhaps in a supermarket car park may be best avoided ? This was his words not mine as We haven't crossed the water yet.

So rather than listen to his alarmist opinions I thought I would ask the MF massive .

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month
hi.just been to france :first time;used aires no problem.took All The Aires really usefull.had no problems except when we found them full.suppose you have to decide for yourself when youget to one iff you feel comfortable or move on.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
We have been staying on aires for the last six years and never had any problems.

Only ever moved once it was a town centre aire and the only reason we left was all the French motorhomes left at 6 and we kept thinking why have they left ......what do they know that we don't lol
Hi there,
Might possibly have been a market the next morning and they usually arrive around 4.30-5am or maybe that particular aire was used late at night by the boy racers,if you ask the french they are quite helpful and will pass on any warnings which you may need to be aware of,but if you ever feel uneasy for whatever reason the next village is never very far away, and nearly every village has an aire.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
We have toured France (several times) Italy and Belgium (twice) Holland and, Germany (once each) and have used camperstops (aires / sostas / stellplatz) most of the time. We occasionally stay on a campsite for a few days, but aires are our normal stopping points. Many aires are in delightful locations; some are just a corner of a car park - take your pick as there are loads of them. One advantage is that they are often in towns if you want to explore one - unlike the UK where it is rare to find any form of motorhome stop or campsite within a few miles of a town.
The golden rule with aires is if you feel uncomfortable about a location, move on to the next one. Don't use motorway aires and when you find a stop you like, exchange a few words with other motorhomers (camping caristes in France) so they know you belong to your motorhome - in case some random happens by. You can have a great holiday and not spend loads on campsite fees (if that matters to you). As an example, a couple of years back, we spent six weeks going down through France and along the line of the Pyrenees. I think our nightly pitch cost averaged over the whole holiday, was about €0.80.
Hi, I couldn't agree more with this post and some other in the same vein.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp

Hi there Charlie,
Hope this helps you,one mans meat.......get out there and try it for yourself, I've not used a campsite in France for over 20 years,not because I'm mean,It's not my idea of motorhoming,I find a place I like and stop,within reason of course,you don't want to upset locals by parking in front of their property,but some will and even stay there for WEEKS, you should NEVER stop on MOTORWAY(AUTOROUTE) Aires,that's usually asking for trouble,that is maybe what your pal is referring to as an aire,when you arrive at an aire in a small village or town you will usually get a "feel" for the place if you don't feel happy move to the next town or village, they are never that far apart,if you arrive and there's no-one else there,have a look around for clues like,graffitti numerous beer cans (empty) needles,general vandalism,these things usually give clues as to why you are the only one there, I've travelled to most parts of France,for over twenty years now with the only time I was broken into was on a AUTOROUTE Aire,I learn't my lesson,that said some people only use campsites,only use motorways,never
wild-camp,their choice,

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Hi there Charlie,
Hope this helps you,one mans meat.......get out there and try it for yourself, I've not used a campsite in France for over 20 years,not because I'm mean,It's not my idea of motorhoming,I find a place I like and stop,within reason of course,you don't want to upset locals by parking in front of their property,but some will and even stay there for WEEKS, you should NEVER stop on MOTORWAY(AUTOROUTE) Aires,that's usually asking for trouble,that is maybe what your pal is referring to as an aire,when you arrive at an aire in a small village or town you will usually get a "feel" for the place if you don't feel happy move to the next town or village, they are never that far apart,if you arrive and there's no-one else there,have a look around for clues like,graffitti numerous beer cans (empty) needles,general vandalism,these things usually give clues as to why you are the only one there, I've travelled to most parts of France,for over twenty years now with the only time I was broken into was on a AUTOROUTE Aire,I learn't my lesson,that said some people only use campsites,only use motorways,never
wild-camp,their choice,
Get out there and enjoy,just be aware.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
We use aires lots of times, but if we dont like the look of it we move on. We never stay overnight on motorway aires only use them for daytime stops. Aires are usually fairly busy and quite safe.
Phil
But someone has to be first arrival,then it seems to attract others who also don't want to be first

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Aires are fantastic!
What a great system, they attract local trade and enable us to visit 'real' France & Germany & Belgium & Italy - oh UK needs to ignore campsite owners and get some Aires!

We always prepare a back up in case Madame doesn't get good vibes.

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've just returned from Austria. Been over there for a month. Every night spent on a free Aire, in France, Germany and Austria. Along with Diesel at around 80pence a litre, you'd never get a month in UK for twice the cost of my holiday! I too spend a few euros in the town after stopping on their Aire. Bread and provisions, and several beers and wines. It's only fair to return to your van drunk, showing that you've availed yourself of their hospitality............

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Strange the views on motorway aires. As a truck driver living in France for ten years I have stopped in more motorway aires than you can shake a stick at and NEVER had a problem. Twenty odd years in the UK on UK motorway services and still NO problems. In France I have frequently stopped at "routiers " and same again no problems and yet again on the unfortunate times when I could not get to any of the afore mentioned I have parked on industrial estates, supermarket carparks and still had no problems. I KNOW it does happen, sadly folks getting robbed etc but I cannot help but think we are worried about VERY small risks and suspect that we have all heard the tales of robberies that someone else has told us about. Live life, enjoy and don't worry about the 1% cos there might be a bus coming and you know what your mam used to say

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ive stayed on industrial estates many a time and no trouble.
once pulled on a pub carpark but was asked to move to the layby as i was blocking a lot of car spaces.
mind you that was in my lorry driving days

plumman51

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No

plumman51

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
For twenty years or so i have stopped over in French Aires but three years ago outside Poitiers my wife and I were gassed why we slept and the van broken into and we were rodded. It was our fault in one way because we were not with other cars and a bit far from the petrol station. We still travel and stay in aires but are more careful and have a bar across the door. and more alarms.

Enjoy France but be careful. This was the sixth time i had been robbed there since I was 18.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wow @plumman51 , I might get the popcorn ready as we like a gassing thread on MHF. First time I think we have heard from someone with direct experience. However being robbed six times is a lot and not the usual experience even from those who spend months every year in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back