How safe are campsites/aires in Spain? (1 Viewer)

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are parked in the delightful town of Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val on day three of our four day stay in this wonderful medieval town. Tomorrow afternoon we will continue south, heading for Madrid and our appointment with the US Consulate on 15th November.

This year we have had a wonderful time on a whistle-stop tour of France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, four lazy weeks exploring the Netherlands recently and now we're on our way down to the south of Spain, hopefully for the winter.

My wife, Cynthia, has read quite a few negative comments about crime in Spain, especially where motorhomes are concerned. We have both felt completely safe on our travels so far in Europe. In fact, in the Netherlands we wild camped most nights. We have never had the slightest hint of a problem.

What is the reality in Spain, and how crowded are we likely to find the south coast? A very high number of the motorhome owners we have spoke to have told us that they're heading that way. Has the south of Spain become impossibly crowded, and is it safe to stay there?

I look forward to your response.

Paul

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
The reality is: much much safer than in the UK.
I know that's not the perception, because one or two examples of MH crime have happened to Brits whilst here in Spain.....and of course they get repeated/amplified.

But Spain is MUCH safer than the UK.
By any measure of any sort of crime stats, crime here is much much less.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of motorhomers living in/travelling around/travelling to Spain every year.
Multiply those numbers by the average number of nights spent here....which in many cases may be many weeks of even many months....and then you start to grasp just how infinitesimally small the risk of actually getting something nicked from your MH actually are.

Now....don't be stupid. Just use common sense even though Spain is much safer than the UK.
For example - DO NOT carry a wallet/purse with all your worldly possessions in it in your back pocket/open handbag in the centre of Barcelona. It is a FANTASTIC city, but is well known as the pickpocket capital of the world.
Just carry around some cash, split between several button down pockets, and you'll never ever be a victim.

If you look at the facts then basically, if you managed to get through Britain to the English Channel without being mugged, robbed, murdered, raped, road-rage attacked, or had your MH stolen, you'll be safe until you get back to Blighty.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I will be heading to Spain early next year, have been many times and never had any bother, I haven't been to the Costa Del Sol for a good few years preferring the Cabo De Gata region of Andalusia. It does get busy with motorhomes especially on the coast but go inland and it is quieter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spain, generally, is no less safe than any other European country, except for the targeted areas by gangs of career criminals, i.e on the motorways around Barcelona and other large cities. Take care at popular markets, i.e. Benidorm, Malaga, etc. for pickpockets.

We spend a large part of our time in Spain and I'm happier to go out alone here, in and around Totana, than I am in Retford in the UK.

As anywhere, be aware of what's around you and if you feel uncomfortable move on.

Since I started this post others have posted and I agree with their advice.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Got to add some of the biggest criminals are the market stall holders in Spain !
The number of times we have been and apart from dodging the lookie lookie man at least
follow the normal precautions keep everything fastened and don't put everything in one bag / pocket

To be honest I almost had my pocket picked in YORK and despite that being fastened they tried but an arm lock (as taught by my RAF Policeman bro) upset them the girl immensely so much so wet we herself especially as a policewoman took her hand about 15 seconds later

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have full timed/wild parked in Spain for the past 5 winters usually October/November to March/May. We found the Costa Calida (Valencia/Murcia/Almera) was the best for us. Where possible we avoid the concentrations of vans and have had little attention from the Police. We would rather park (not camp) on our own, than with others and avoid cities where possible. We went right around the peninsular of Spain and Portugal one year. Never has any security problems.

We used Aires and Camper stops once every 7 to 10 days for essential services and possible battery boost on EHU. We fitted this in with shopping trips. We have stayed on Truck Stops/Filling Stations on the high plains/autoroutes, many of these have dump facilities.

In France on our way there and back we use camping car Aires but pick the small out of the way ones where we are often the only ones there.
Saint-Pierre-Des-Nids 001.jpg

We have also used picnic Aires arriving late and leaving early just after sun rise.

Fuente del Ocina 065.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Safe? Yes, if you just use common sense as you would in the UK. For what it is worth after many years using Aires in both Spain and France, where France seemed to have the edge on which were the best, Spain is rapidly catching up in both the quantity and quality of sites and facilities. This year alone we stayed on several 'new' Aires which we will certainly visit again. Two I would mention were south of Elche (Marina I think) and just east of the port south of Castillon de la Plana. Crowded? Well some several northerners seem to be discovering the Aires of Spain but we have as yet not failed to find suitable places to stay.
Again considering safety, the Spanish police do seem to patrol most if not all the sites we have stayed on. If they have to move you on in a 'wild' camping situation, they do so with such courtesy as to cause minimal offence. One policeman said he was sorry to have to move us on but come back tomorrow when another policeman would be on duty. Alan

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Campsites in Spain are just as safe as in the uk. The only difference is theres less crime in Spain

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Never had a problem in Spain. I suspect that crime is much lower than UK.

You usually see the police patrolling all the time in the resorts.

The only place I ever felt slightly worried was in Marbella in February.

We have never had any issues at all and we tour at least three months in Spain and this year nearly seven months.

Take reasonable precautions as you would anywhere in europe and go and enjoy yourselves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back