How prepared are you for the UKs hottest day ever. (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Went out to buy some new swimming trunks.... But....

Just could not decide what colour to buy..... so bought a few different ones.. (y)

1596823551368.png
I rather like the shocking pink... shows up my beautiful blue eyes.. :giggler:

1596823675562.png

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Temperature's are already soaring. Washed all the bedding and it is nearly dry on the washing line. Keeping the curtains shut to keep the house nice and cool. Plenty of ice cubes in the freezer, shorts and sandals on. What are you doing to stay cool in todays 100 deg temperature's. :cool:

Yea! great weather to get the dhobi dry Mr b, Unfortunately keeping the curtains closed to stop the heat getting in the house is an urban myth.

Sun generates heat on your windows, whether they are double or triple glazed the heat is transfered through the window, your curtains are a waste of time my friend, the heat is already in your house, from the windows, all you are doing is stopping the air that could lower the temperature in the house from circulating . Some one has already Shutters, stop the heat reaching your windows is the only way to go!

People with a Conservatory make the same mistake, spending heaps on blinds INSIDE the Conservatory, Too late Mate! the heat is all ready inside, all you are doing is supplying expensive shade

Open windows , Ranch Sliders, let the air circulate, don't wear dark clothing, hydrate, sit in the shade OUTSIDE, hydrate !! sip don't skool, if you are a bone dome wear a bloody hat or cover your head, even if its just a T shirt, the neck over you head and the sleeves tied around the back of your head.

Oh! and did I mention HYDRATE???

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Top temp here today in the shade registered on our thermometer 33.3° C🌞😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've now to go & speak english with the lad next door for an hour or so .Fortunately the sun will set before 9pm :(
Unfortunately it turned in to a funeral. Blade ,there Wolf that passed as a dog had died a short while ago. Fortunately the neighbour dug the hole
A question that has always made me wonder. How can the drink you are given be clean ? Does the barmaid/man sanitise between each glass they touch. Does the pump handle get continuously cleaned?
If not then one plague monster touching anything then touching glasses/bar/pump touch screens etc; & you're doomed . Not least the fact that it is being ingested easily straight in the mouth?

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Unfortunately it turned in to a funeral. Blade ,there Wolf that passed as a dog had died a short while ago. Fortunately the neighbour dug the hole

A question that has always made me wonder. How can the drink you are given be clean ? Does the barmaid/man sanitise between each glass they touch. Does the pump handle get continuously cleaned?
If not then one plague monster touching anything then touching glasses/bar/pump touch screens etc; & you're doomed . Not least the fact that it is being ingested easily straight in the mouth?
Very bizarre and crazy . I am not doomed BUT doom bar at £1/79 p a pt ex

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yea! great weather to get the dhobi dry Mr b, Unfortunately keeping the curtains closed to stop the heat getting in the house is an urban myth.

Sun generates heat on your windows, whether they are double or triple glazed the heat is transfered through the window, your curtains are a waste of time my friend, the heat is already in your house, from the windows, all you are doing is stopping the air that could lower the temperature in the house from circulating . Some one has already Shutters, stop the heat reaching your windows is the only way to go!

People with a Conservatory make the same mistake, spending heaps on blinds INSIDE the Conservatory, Too late Mate! the heat is all ready inside, all you are doing is supplying expensive shade

Open windows , Ranch Sliders, let the air circulate, don't wear dark clothing, hydrate, sit in the shade OUTSIDE, hydrate !! sip don't skool, if you are a bone dome wear a bloody hat or cover your head, even if its just a T shirt, the neck over you head and the sleeves tied around the back of your head.

Well rangi who am I to disagree with my elders. 😊It has been a delightful day here in Hertfordshire. The washing was back on the bed by midday. I rewarded myself with a lay in the sun for an hour. Then my Ex who is having a mid life crises and has taken up gardening wanted a hand in her greenhouse, we picked some salad for tonight, she is like a kid with a new toy. How anyone can get so excited over a yellow cucumber I have no idea but it tasted OK along with her yellow tomatoes 😄.
Well rangi just been out for a ride with my lovely lady, having the A/C blowing full bore in the car has cooled us both down a treat. The pub gardens are mobbed but we resisted the temptation to join them. But social distancing was being observed and everyone was enjoying themselves
Now its a bath as dont want to get between those clean sheets in the state im In.
So rangi thats my day, now what have you been up to today in lovely Cornwall.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It’s been cloudy all day here in Wales and about 20C.

i am drinking plenty of cold beer though just in case it gets hot

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I remember it well Rangi ... one of the reasons why I refused to pay thousands of pounds for something that wouldn't do the job that was needed. I bought a cheap garden 'sail shade' which I can put up if I really want to reduce the light entering, rather than the heat, which does the same job as the expensive shades would have done but for a fraction of the price.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

It depends on the colour of the curtain exposed to the sunlight... Dark material will absorb more light and make the room warmer if the curtains are closed. Light material reflects some heat back out of the window - our rooms are cooler when we close the curtains compared to having them open.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Anyone tried one of these things?, not necessarily this exact one, but this type of fan?
It runs off a USB socket apparently, I was thinking inside van more than home.
I think although it has a 5 star rating on Amazon,I have my doubts.
LES
Amazon product ASIN B088T5NHQG

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Mattyjwr, correct, that's why Arab men wear a white Kandora and women wear black (to warm them up a bit🐪:eek:)

Isreali Army conducted trials in the seventies, they found that the body temperture of someone wearing black was cooler than someone just wearing a pair of shorts, but, equal to someone wearing white.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Temperature's are already soaring. Washed all the bedding and it is nearly dry on the washing line. Keeping the curtains shut to keep the house nice and cool. Plenty of ice cubes in the freezer, shorts and sandals on. What are you doing to stay cool in todays 100 deg temperature's. :cool:
Had my shorts and sandals on since lockdown began..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Wouldn't want to live in a house without external shutters again - brilliant for keeping the interior cool in summer and warmer in winter (y)
Big expense in UK for 3 hot sunny days...BUSBY. :giggle: :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Not worth worrying about,,couple of days and it will be back to normal,,load of fuss as usual by the media about nothing. BUSBY.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Out on the bike today. Showing 29c so i put the air con on. (screen in lowest setting)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Isreali Army conducted trials in the seventies, they found that the body temperture of someone wearing black was cooler than someone just wearing a pair of shorts, but, equal to someone wearing white.

Never trust the Isrealis.

Can i ask how you got that name Rangitira???? reason. I was based on a ship with that name in The Kyle Of Lochalsh in the 70s when i was working on The Ninian Central Oil Rig. Story goes The Rangitira had a sister ship that sank on it's maiden voyage with lots of life lost. New Zealand origin i believe?? Ah memories.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
cannot copy amazon link for some reason

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Big expense in UK for 3 hot sunny days...BUSBY. :giggle: :giggle:

In years gone by, perhaps - but these hot days seem to becoming more frequent. Biggest stumbling block to adding them is that most UK windows open outwards.....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
In years gone by, perhaps - but these hot days seem to becoming more frequent. Biggest stumbling block to adding them is that most UK windows open outwards.....
I hope so but as I am in Europe for 6 months of the year I think I will have them fitted to my van😁😁. Never bothered with air con in my car or van,,BUSBY.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Parked under trees, looking out towards the lake, with the fridge fans running and awning out.
We did that at the Chatsworth Park C&MC site. Well, not the fridge fan bit 🤔
The tree sap on the rooflight & awning made me wonder if I’d made a newbie mistake.
I’m planning on parking the other way round & rolling out the awning for cleaning ☹️

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yes me too, my feet are as black as ink with white saddle strap marks.
Hope that's the sun a d not muck,,😀😀BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back