How practical is a 6.8m MH? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
Flushed with the success of gaining useful responses to my previous post, here I go again. Looking at the Burstner Delfin for the two of us and our two Dalmatians. It seems to tick all the boxes - fixed bed, low profile, non-Fiat base, plenty of floor space for dogs. As complete beginners, though, we're wondering whether there are any problems/difficulties in the day-to-day driving of a 6.8m vehicle as opposed to a shorter one? For example - what's it like to park on car parks? Any problems driving in towns abroad or in UK? My OH has test driven the Delfin, and liked it, but are we being needlessly cautious about the length? Swings and roundabouts, I know. In order to get the floor space in a fixed bed vehicle we can't really go for anything shorter. Our only other option would be 'A' class - or leave the Dallies behind! (Only joking). All views and comments gratefully accepted.
Bella

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Our Iveco home conversion is just 7 metres and suits us fine but then we don't do foreign travelling (unless you count Cheshire next month as foreign:shout:). Only problem we've encountered is town centre parking which is obviously targeted at under 5 metre cars not blooming great camper vans.

motorhoming is always a compromise, you give up easy parking and "go anywhere" abilities of a small motorhome to have a large van or RV which gives you plenty of living space when on site. The alternative is that small motorhome that you can drive anywhere, park anywhere etc but may just find it a tad small for site living. The middle road is a medium sized van that you can take to most places, park in most car parks and will give you reasonable living space, especially if you use a roll out awning.

You need to make a choice based on your chosen/expected useage of the motorhome.

D.

Upvote 0

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
Hi we have an 8 metre burstner and have camped all over
Europe morocco etc and never had a problem
we camp wild alot no problems

Btw I thanked the post on the fiat only because of this bloody I phone!!!
Not that there's a fault with fiat

I'll get me coat. Mark.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Megs Mum

Free Member
Jul 12, 2010
South East England
Funster No
Exp
How long can you go?

Hi Everyone - just joined and been reading this thread. So heres my pennyworth - this is our first season - we MEANT to buy a VW T5 ... but when we looked at where we would be actually living (2 adults, 2 dogs, bikes, boots, books ...) it was just crazy so we ended up with the Burstner at 6.2 m. I took the mental decision that I would be a good motorhome driver (not the little wife who sits in the passenger seat) And ITS GREAT. My other vehicle is a mini but when I get in the MH its high and has command of the road. I just slow down if in doubt and appraise the situation - the advantage is that stuff around you has to slow down too so its all nice and calm. I do find the reversing video a bit difficult to see in bright sunshine (advice appreciated here - its the only bit of kit we dont have the handbook for) but the big mirrors are fab. Just plan your route (dont follow sat nav brainlessly!) and make use of big parking places. I love the idea that if white van man can do it so can I - and I have met some very nice lorry drivers too. My plea is that more women drive their MHs - if only to give you confidence to face your fears and be prepared if OH should break a leg in France/fall ill in Germany!!

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our Iveco home conversion is just 7 metres and suits us fine but then we don't do foreign travelling (unless you count Cheshire next month as foreign:shout:).

Just remember to bring your passport.:winky:

Don`t understand anyone wanting a motorhome less than 50 mtrs long, I mean how big is the fridge in anything smaller :Doh:
And what about hanging space for Chris`s dresses and extra storage for her shoes, Chris would put Imelda Marcos to shame. :ROFLMAO:

Shush don`t tell I said that.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We started off with a 22' van and found it a bit too crowded for 4 plus 1 parrot. We went around cornwall and the Inner and outer Hebredes in it and constantly thought "Will a bigger van make it round where we are now" and most times I would say yes. When I say bigger I mean a large tag axle van.

We sold the van and bought a slightly older but lower mileage Frankia tag axle van. and it was the best thing we did, we now have loads of storage space, extras space to relax and have never had an issue with the size.

The only thing is that it costs more on fuel and ferry costs, other than that I cant think of any time that I would want a small van.

BTW the last of the Fiat 2.8JTD model don't have any major issues and drive very well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Our van is 6.4m long and I have never had any problem parking or on camp sites. Most of the time it is just Glenn and me and our 2 dogs, but we have had 4 dogs with us in the past, and on some occasions our son as well, but if I need to escape it's no problem for me to manage on my own :thumb:

After reading what Meg's Mum posted..... I really have got to get Glenn to drive the motorhome at some point..... he has never driven it!!

If you use a sat nav, look before you turn.... if you think the road looks dodgy then keep going until the satnav finds a nice one, unless in Cornwall, some parts of Wales, some parts of Norfolk, parts of Scotland..... where there might not be a choice :Doh: Mine is usually set to the fastest routes, so it sticks to main roads rather than the shortest, where it tends to take me down every alley and dirt track it can find :Angry:

Whatever you end up with, take it steady, enjoy the journey, and you will soon be wondering why you ever thought it might be difficult :winky:

Tina

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back