How practical is a 6.8m MH? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
Flushed with the success of gaining useful responses to my previous post, here I go again. Looking at the Burstner Delfin for the two of us and our two Dalmatians. It seems to tick all the boxes - fixed bed, low profile, non-Fiat base, plenty of floor space for dogs. As complete beginners, though, we're wondering whether there are any problems/difficulties in the day-to-day driving of a 6.8m vehicle as opposed to a shorter one? For example - what's it like to park on car parks? Any problems driving in towns abroad or in UK? My OH has test driven the Delfin, and liked it, but are we being needlessly cautious about the length? Swings and roundabouts, I know. In order to get the floor space in a fixed bed vehicle we can't really go for anything shorter. Our only other option would be 'A' class - or leave the Dallies behind! (Only joking). All views and comments gratefully accepted.
Bella

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you are a competent car driver you should be able to adjust to the extra size very quickly. The main difference is not so much the length but the swing of the back-end when turning, for example; if you are parked close to the curb, when you pull away there is a good chance that your back-end is going to cover the pavement so beware of items on the pavement.

You will find a reversing camera a big help but you will not the the pro. commercial drivers don't have them.

good luck. Doug...

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Have you thought about an RV??

They are not all huge 40 foot long 9 feet wide monsters you know. I love the B+ class of RV

Have a look at this

http://www.lazydays.com/rvs/Motorho...liday-Rambler-Augusta-Gas-Motorhomes-006.html

Only 26 feet long narrower than a Eurovan with 2 slide outs and every luxury you could wish for and automatic transmission and power everything, with an on board generator.

We had a 30 foot 3 slide B+ and it was brilliant, you do need to book ahead for site due to the length but at 6.8 mtrs you will need to consider this anyway. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi

The size will be fine, I always think that 6metres is perfect for travelling but hard to live in, more so with animals. We ended up getting 7.15 metres and usually have to pay more on the ferry etc., but tend to do longish breaks and its perfect for that.

I also think you get used to what youve got pretty quick and when you travel about you will find a lot of people have larger motorhomes. Only you can make that decision, but I dont think you will regret it.

Good luck

Pat

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As long as you use your mirrors and get a reversing camera you will be fine.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mine is 8 mtrs and is def no hardship to drive/park

Yes, you have to be AWARE, but never had any real difficulties apart from in Pisa where I messed up HUGELY and ended up in the hospital car park ! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
At the moment mine is that size and it posses No problems what-so-ever,
We are now looking at other vans a little larger around 7.5 meters which could in some Aires could be a little tight and restricted ? ....so it is a good size you are looking at.

Mel:thumb:

Upvote 0

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Ours is 6.83m (22ft 5") and we both love driving it.:Smile:

We can take it just about anywhere - never found a campsite that we can't get on although we've found plenty that our friends with a 25ft one can't get on!:Sad:

We got to Tesco in it but try to avoid VERY busy ones! We try to take up 4 places so we've got plenty of room for back end swing and opening garage doors for loading.

All in all it's a very manageable length!:thumb:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Do agree you should have no problems with this size, and do agree on the camera you can manage without, but find it so much easier with one, go for a good wired in one you wont regret it at all. we have a smaller van but no rear visibility apart from mirrors and find the camera a real help as good as a window.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we're wondering whether there are any problems/difficulties in the day-to-day driving of a 6.8m vehicle as opposed to a shorter one? For example - what's it like to park on car parks?

Bella

Hi Bella , some good advice so far but have to disagree about the parking.

IMO a 6.8mt van isn't suitable for day to day use or as a sole means of transport, you won't be able to park in a standard parking bay, so that rules out most city car parks, even those without height barriers.

Supermarket parking is generally ok during the quieter times when you can use two bays end to end .. For sites and aires it will be no problem.

We would all love a tardis, but what ever van you buy it will ALWAYS we a compromise.. there is no such thing as the perfect or one size van that fits all scenarios.

I would love a motorhome that I could use day to day, park anywhere, had the economy of a car, four berths, toilet, shower etc etc .. but sadly, it just doesn't exist.

and yes I have owned a camper van ( VW) so I am well aware of their benefits and drawbacks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks for all your useful replies. I can't believe what a helpful site this is. The wonders of the inernet! Where would we be without it? I feel much reassured.

Bottons - We're not excluding all Fiat bases, just that we've got a 'wish list', and would prefer to go for other bases, all things being equal. I'd describe us as being 'cautious beginners'. Maybe 'over-cautious' could be a better description.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
are any problems/difficulties in the day-to-day driving of a 6.8m
Bella

6.8 isn't particularly big.

Length is a bit of a problem, you need to find supermarket parking where you can take one and a half slots length wise.

And as Doug said, watch that overhang.

White van man does it every day, so a FUNster can.

So no problem, go for it.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just go for it, You will soon pick it up. As Jim says, it could be a problem for day to day use, but, in essence you soon get used to it. there's always the option of a scooter, toad, bikes etc to get around.
Love the choice of van, although as said, do not exclude a fiat base because if you do you will severely limit your choice/

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We're 28 ft, and obviously that restricts where we can take the 'van, BUT, we're learning still that there are lots of places we can go, just requires common sence, and a spot of luck!

Our first van was 22ft, which after appling a calculator:Doh: , is about the length you're talking about and really, as he said (I'm agreeing with Brian again:Doh:) just go for it, to much fun to be had to worry about these things:thumb:

Supprising amounts of places can accomodate MHs, sometimes it may be that one of you has to stay with and be ready to move, but we're generally talking supermarket type trips, equally it's unusual not to be able to use 2-4 spaces out of the way and take your time.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
C
From my point of view completely Impracticable:Doh:
I started out with 22foot and found they shrink very very quickly:RollEyes:
Now can just about manage in my 34 foot (11Mtr) RV:Eeek: even take a cat to swing around:thumb:
Geo

Upvote 0

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
My van is 26' (8m) and and would say that it doesn't cause a big problem with regard to driving or access etc however I do have to think in advance. Plus tend to use out of town supermarkets at quieter times.

I would say the biggest nuisance is not being able to park in main town centres, but that would be the case with any motorhome except the smallest.
We are not very experienced yet but when approaching smaller towns we just pull over before parking restrictions apply and then walk.

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
2.8 metres is about half a metre longer than our Dethleffs(it is an A class) which is not a huge amount more. My rule of thumb (or rather arm-span) is to try to keep the overhang at the back at around 5 feet. My own feeling is that much longer would cause a few problems particularly where we live but also where we tend to drive (small roads, out of the way, with passing places). Also, where we live and the layout of our house means that we would be unable to get anything over about 3 metres parked up.
We have found that by being a bit strict with ourselves we have no difficulty with living in ours for several weeks at a time and are very comfortable. Parking a couple of fairly large dogs might create a bit of a challenge, but your extra half metre would go a long way to solving that. I suppose we could always give the fixed bed over to the hounds and sleep in the pull-down. We have it on good authority that it's very comfie.::bigsmile::Doh::whatthe:. Also, if you choose decent weather you'll probably be living outside anyway - so how do you choose decent weather?:Nowink::Confused:
I have always like the Burstner Delphin except for the way they put the oven about five feet above the floor (bloody dangerous in my opinion). Do they still do that???

Go for it. It sounds like a good-un.

BUT before you do make sure that there is enough payload for all your (and the dogs') needs. You may be surprised how much stuff weighs.

John

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Piece of cake driving a big motorhome. Ours is 7.5 metres and I just jump in and drive it like a car. In fact the distance from the stearing wheel to the road is less than on my Golf. Never had an accident but seen loads in my rear view mirror.

sorry.

Upvote 0

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our MH is 7.3m and is not a problem to drive etc. the main thing to remember is the overhang particularly when manouvering in car parks but you soon get used of it and using your mirrors all the time.

We have two dogs and all share the fixed bed!

regards

Kath & Howie

Upvote 0

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I have a 22ft Winniebago Brave A Class, it has a fixed bed, all the toys, inc reversing camera, the only problem I have, is sometimes in country lanes, you get pushed into the left and have no view of the road ahead, no problem if you have a passenger, but my 7 yr old son rides shot gun and has no road sence!
I have never been turned away from any site, There are much longer caravans around.
I'm getting 18 to the gallon on a run from the 6.2 lt V8 deisel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the useful tips and comments. John - I've never got the hang of 'choosing' the weather - wherever we go the weather seems to choose to be bad. In fact, I'll post our holiday dates on here, so that others can avoid going at the same time as us! Need to take special note of the advice given to me in a previous post ie 'when choosing a MH think about what it'll be like to be in it in the rain'.
The oven in the Delfin is not fitted high up, thank goodness. Not that I intend to spend too much time using it!
Kath and Howie - No dogs on the bed for us. Its 'us or them' and they'd probably kick us out!

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Bellabee,

I believe that if you are a competent driver then you won't have any problems, whatever the length and however much the overhang. It is obviously about patience and practice.

The most important thing is can you get it on the drive and has it got enough room to put everything in?

The best advice I can give you is what the man whom I bought a cruiser on the Thames gave me years ago, 'if in doubt slow down'! With that as your maxim you won't go far wrong.

Oh I have the same B+ Class Concord 300 triple slide that Dazzer used to have and it is just over 30ft and I have no problem driving it or parking it. But I had to get used to it and it is very different from the 30ft Winnebago A Class I used to own.

Best regards

Chris

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our van is 7.00 m long (Fiat base) and we have had no problems having just returned from Shetland where most of the roads are single track. As others have posted we only visit supermarket car parks that we can see space in, i.e. our local Tesco is out of bounds and the Morrisons is a bit risky but on the road we can usually finsd an out of town retail centre to park in. One thing to watch is when you fuel up, look for the way out of the service station before you select a pump, some of them can be a bit tight getting out again.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
How practical is an 8 metre home?

Mine is 8 mtrs and is def no hardship to drive/park

Yes, you have to be AWARE, but never had any real difficulties apart from in Pisa where I messed up HUGELY and ended up in the hospital car park ! ::bigsmile:

Ok, what happened in Pisa????????:winky:

S.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Bella
I would love a motorhome that I could use day to day, park anywhere, had the economy of a car, four berths, toilet, shower etc etc .. but sadly, it just doesn't exist.

and yes I have owned a camper van ( VW) so I am well aware of their benefits and drawbacks.
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:riving2::Tongue1:

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Of course it's all 'horses for courses' we are 5.82mtrs and for living in it's 'snug' but we have been to places in France we couldnt have done in bigger van,similarly this week we've been to places in Scotland I wouldn't have liked to try in a bigger van.We don't worry about supermarkets,not had a problem yet.In towns we only need 2 cars lengths to park in streets.
Of course we'd like more living space,but then we might miss out on what we want to do ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back