Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Also don't just assume that Gaslow are all tested in production :roflmto:
This one leaked at the crimp straight out of the bag!
Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to clear up any confusion....ed should have said REGULATOR on bottle or bulkhead....not valve.

Regulator on the bottle means gas will already be at low pressure so only needs alow pressure hose

Regulator on the bulkhead means gas between bottle and regulator is high pressure and needs a high pressure hose....once gas leaves the bulkhead regulator it only needs a low pressure hose.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Valve on bottle means gas comes out of bottle at low pressure (use rubber).

Valve fixed in locker means gas leaves bottle at high pressure (use metal).

Replace "valve" with regulator and it makes sense :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Please see second post.

I still don't understand it. My old system had flexible rubber pipes - high pressure - to the regulator and then metal pipes - low pressure - to the appliances. Of course I'm probably stupid but that is normal.

Do you mean "regulator" instead of valve?

Edit - thanks Techno - just worked it out

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can, as far as I'm aware, still get both low pressure and high pressure hoses, so the 'legal requirement' to have a SS hose for a high pressure installation smells like cow poo! ::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You can, as far as I'm aware, still get both low pressure and high pressure hoses, so the 'legal requirement' to have a SS hose for a high pressure installation smells like cow poo! ::bigsmile:

Pricey, but I would have them every time - except for the once when apparently I didn't!:Blush:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I had a habitation check a few months ago on my first MH which I have since sold, I had bought new rubber hoses that were date stamped, he said they were fine, he fitted those for me, no problem, seems some are out to make money .

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Replace "valve" with regulator and it makes sense :winky:

I still don't understand it. My old system had flexible rubber pipes - high pressure - to the regulator and then metal pipes - low pressure - to the appliances. Of course I'm probably stupid but that is normal.

Do you mean "regulator" instead of valve?

Edit - thanks Techno - just worked it out

Please see first post.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Pictures make a thread so here's one of my previous van a 2004 Starspirit. New owner scored there :Doh:

gaslow-L.jpg

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Well after all this excitement I have Butane and not Propane.
Butane is stored in the bottle around 1 bar pressure, then the regulator on the neck of the cylinder reduces it to whatever pressure. Propane cylinders are filled at 9 bar pressure approx so then goes to a regulator at much higher pressures to start with, the regulator then reduces pressure as required. So I can see the reason for braided pipes to a propane regulator, why I was a bit lost as I was presuming everyone ran on Butane.
2 years in still a lot to learn. Thanks for info Andy never knew those systems existed.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You tend to find that in winter or cold weather the butane pressure drops off but lpg retains the pressure cos it boils off at -46 degrees or thereabouts and that lpg hoses are date stamped and you get different pressure hoses also so beware:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just a thought overnight. Looking at this thread again some folk have rubber pipes between a propane bottle and the regulator?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought overnight. Looking at this thread again some folk have rubber pipes between a propane bottle and the regulator?

Yes, as I mentioned previously, the pipes come in low pressure and high pressure versions, so with a high pressure bottle you can use a rubber hose to the fixed regulator if you want, rather than go to the expense of a SS one.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I presume that with a hose with this written on it:

BS 3212:1991/2/6.3 HIGH PRESSURE LPG 08/09

the 08/09 is the manufacture date (August 2009)? In which case I need to start looking for a replacement.

The 1991 had better correspond to the British Standard! :Smile:

Attachments

• DSCF0165_1.jpg
    DSCF0165_1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 15

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
these are a bargain at £10 for 2 or less if they accept an offer
Broken Link Removed

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Retired marine engineer here, worked with various flexible hoses an all sorts of equipment over the years most SS to comply with various regulations. Usually the SS was in the form of external braiding for strength, heat resistance, UV protection etc to name a few and the inner tubular part rubber. What and how are SS Gaslow and the like hoses manufactured. :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Retired marine engineer here, worked with various flexible hoses an all sorts of equipment over the years most SS to comply with various regulations. Usually the SS was in the form of external braiding for strength, heat resistance, UV protection etc to name a few and the inner tubular part rubber. What and how are SS Gaslow and the like hoses manufactured. :Doh:
there are 2 types, overbraided rubber and overbraided convoluted semi flexible stainless steel liner

the benefit of using full stainless is apparently the rubber reacts and leaches oily residue from the propane and blocks regulators. was never a problem for regulators on bottles or for some manufacturers bulkhead regulators. truma regulators are the most common to fail due to gumming up

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
there are 2 types, overbraided rubber and overbraided convoluted semi flexible stainless steel liner

the benefit of using full stainless is apparently the rubber reacts and leaches oily residue from the propane and blocks regulators. was never a problem for regulators on bottles or for some manufacturers bulkhead regulators. truma regulators are the most common to fail due to gumming up
BH

Had ours fail at 11 months on first van replaced under a H & S issue by Truma. Cheers for the info Big1 :thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back