How old is too old, tyres that is? (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Hi All,

My motorhome is now 8 years old, it has less than 16,000 miles on it and the tyres are in good condition. I always thought tyres would be OK for 10 years if not worn out, but the dealer who serviced it said 7 years. Has anyone had this problem? and when do you change your tyres?

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
If tyre look ok no cracking no wear and tear it be fine. But it's wat u can't see is the problem if in doubt change it go to a proper we'll establish tyre mob.not tell u to suck eggs

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
7 years max, they may look good but tyre wall degradation will be a problem especially as with just 2000 miles a year they have spent most of their life standing.
Just consider the cost of a blowout, the damage a shredded tyre will do and of course you could leave the road , not worth the risk. :Eeek:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
7 years max, they may look good but tyre wall degradation will be a problem especially as with just 2000 miles a year they have spent most of their life standing.
Just consider the cost of a blowout, the damage a shredded tyre will do and of course you could leave the road , not worth the risk. :Eeek:
Quite agree. Just had the car tyres changed at 4 years and had a look at the tyres that they took off. Even though the side wall looked ok on the car was surprised at the cracking in the side wall you could only see with the tyre off. I hate waste but motorhome tyres will need to be changed I think even with a lot of tread :(

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
I have Michelin agilis fitted, contacted Michelin tech services, there advice is tyre should be good for 5 years, after that it is down to the owner to keep a vigilant check on tyres tread and side walls, for craze cracking ,up to the 10 year point. There is another post on here somewhere with pictures for different deteriations of side wall craze cracking.

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
just had four new tyres fitted to the sprinter, fitter said one of those he took off was 20 years old :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Me too.

I couldn't bear to spend £800 on tyres:D
In 24 years I only started putting an mot on cars 3 years ago lol ....before that I never owned a car for more than a year .....since 1990 I've owned 619 cars including around 40ish vw camper vans , 16 caravans , 7 boats and 8 motorhomes lol

All personally owned and driven :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In 24 years I only started putting an mot on cars 3 years ago lol ....before that I never owned a car for more than a year .....since 1990 I've owned 619 cars including around 40ish vw camper vans , 16 caravans , 7 boats and 8 motorhomes lol

I love changing my cars and or anything else with wheels, like you by the sound of it, I also love numbers

Did you realise you have changed something on average every 2 weeks for the past 24 years, do you have a job as well :D

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies

What's your real name Arnold Clark ?:)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I love changing my cars and or anything else with wheels, like you by the sound of it, I also love numbers

Did you realise you have changed something on average every 2 weeks for the past 24 years, do you have a job as well :D
Lol well i often have a few at a time as many as 8 vehicles at one time I think the record was .....my driveway can take 7 cars from front to back lol

Yes always had a full time job .....It kind of all started when I was a mechanic I used to buy all the trade ins from work clean them up and sell on ......i had traders insurance till 3 years ago :)

OP
OP
gasman2008
Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
thanks everyone for the advice. I'll sort out some tyres. ASAP

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Ford Prefect 1949 ... was Grandfather's from new - still on original tyres :eek:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi All,

My motorhome is now 8 years old, it has less than 16,000 miles on it and the tyres are in good condition. I always thought tyres would be OK for 10 years if not worn out, but the dealer who serviced it said 7 years. Has anyone had this problem? and when do you change your tyres?

If you care to research this subject you WILL find that the majority of the motoring journalists confirm that all tyres that are fitted to Motorhomes should be changed after five years irrespective of their VISUAL condition...note that an MOT inspector does not know the chemical condition of the rubber tyre make up, when we purchased our motorhome we discovered that it had tyres were over seven years old and after a long nasty confrontation with the dealer he agreed to change the tyres this was only after we had shown him our findings of what was being said from technical journalists, he also that he said he would prosecute us if we named his dealership...great stuff so who's right then:):)

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
When I had my MOT this week I asked to check the spare wheel/tyre. It was dated 2005, van registered 2006 so never been used. The 4 in use were new last year and the year before, fronts as a pair and then rears as a pair. MOT'er said not to worry about the spare being 8 years old as it had never been under load and never been in sunlight.

Wilco

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Caravannist upgrading?
Exp
Big fat zilch!
I would say 7 years is about right - the majority of vehicles will normally wear them out long before then. Of course, many motorhomes will only cover a small distance so the limiting factor is aging due to exposure to the elements.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Looks like a change for ours as well at 7 years old eek. Just had an MOT, They said they were ok. How much?
We didn't plan on that when we bought the van last year.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Broken Link Removed

We recommend:

All tires (including spare tires) that were manufactured more than ten years ago should be replaced with new tires, even if they appear to be usable from their external appearance and if the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Been looking at my Michelin tyres for date cannot see anything that could resemble any dating .these are the M+S tyres .. Any idea as to where I can find the date as its certainly not shown on the outside of any of my tyres.?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Found it ,its on the inside of tyre ( bxxxdy stupid place) and only two years old ..

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
When I had my MOT this week I asked to check the spare wheel/tyre. It was dated 2005, van registered 2006 so never been used. The 4 in use were new last year and the year before, fronts as a pair and then rears as a pair. MOT'er said not to worry about the spare being 8 years old as it had never been under load and never been in sunlight.

What the MOT tester told you is in my opinion irresponsible, you could have could have come to the same conclusion yourself , MOT testers are not trained to establish if chemical rubber derogation is or has taken place.....as I have already stated, research and you will find Im right ..you want to ride around on tyres older than six years then good luck to you:cool::unsure:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Yes but how fast can a 1949 Ford Prefect go?:D
I had a 1952 Ford pop it did around 140mph and a 11 second quarter mile :)

Age is just a number it's the heart that counts..........In this case a 3500cc rover v8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back