How much ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Assuming you buy a shinney new van how much you reckon your looking at kitting it out ? I am at Chelstons now and notice not one van has a reversing camera you need one of them don't you ?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just bought a brand new, top 'o the range, shiny, shiny, shiny, cost a feckin' fortune van and just spent nearly £3,000 on a gps, music playing, reverse camera doobery and a burst your eardum alarm. There's no end to it!!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
not one van has a reversing camera you need one of them don't you ?

No not really. Nice to have I suppose but by no means essential.

We've got one because the van came with it. It's pointed straight down looking at the rear bumper so it only comes into play when I'm reversing very close to something. If we didn't have it I wouldn't worry too much, just get 'er indoors to stand and watch me back when I know I'm going to get very close to something. I certainly wouldn't bother with an aftermarket one.

For normal reversing manoeuvres the two side mirrors show you all you need to see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
£6,000 - £18,000 depending in your starting point , desires, deepness of your wallet and not to forget the understanding of your other half if you are so encumbered

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Assuming you buy a shinney new van how much you reckon your looking at kitting it out ?

That depends on the van you buy and what you want on it.

Solar panels, refillable gas, an automatic satellite dish, a decent alarm and a tracker if you need one and you're going to be somewhere around £5k, perhaps a bit more.

Then there's things like hab aircon, auto levellers and air suspension. You can go on forever.

A high spec van is more likely to have some of the things on it as standard but obviously you'll be paying more for it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My reversing camera cost around £40 from Maplin and about 1 hr to fit - it is wireless and subject to some interference from an to the radio but it works well enough for my needs. Even with a PVC, I find it very useful.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You may well spend as much as you have on extras (it's what happens) but none of that will be essential. The previous owner won't have thought so if it wasn't fitted. It's not uncommon to spend 25% extra on 'accessories' when buying new.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The great camera debate usually comes down to driving experience. If your motorhome is the first and only large vehicle you've ever driven then I can understand how you might consider a camera essential. Anyone remember the guy ranting on here a couple of years ago? His camera packed up so he cancelled his holiday and went home because he firmly believed it was impossible to drive his van without it. :rofl:

If on the other hand you've spent years driving similar sized commercial vehicles where cameras are still pretty rare you'll be used to doing everything with the side mirrors so the camera will be unnecessary.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The only extras I had to buy for our van was a Vanbitz growler and E&P hydraulic levelling.

Everything also was already on the van (solar panels, 2nd leisure battery, cruise control, awning etc)

:D2

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I remember going fishing as a kid, hardly any gear and spent many a happy day at the river and pits. later with money from a job I had all the must have gizmos, was it anymore enjoyable? Nah, nowhere near, the magic had gone..

Same with camping, there are many things you think you must have but in reality don't.

Funny that the next post down atm is 'Very green minimalist motorhoming' :D

Reactions: DBK

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Assuming you buy a shinney new van how much you reckon your looking at kitting it out ? I am at Chelstons now and notice not one van has a reversing camera you need one of them don't you ?
Although I have a reversing camera connected to a dvd player, I always use my reversing sensors. More accurate and IMO, better than camera.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The great camera debate usually comes down to driving experience. If your motorhome is the first and only large vehicle you've ever driven then I can understand how you might consider a camera essential. Anyone remember the guy ranting on here a couple of years ago? His camera packed up so he cancelled his holiday and went home because he firmly believed it was impossible to drive his van without it. :rofl:

If on the other hand you've spent years driving similar sized commercial vehicles where cameras are still pretty rare you'll be used to doing everything with the side mirrors so the camera will be unnecessary.

I've had many occasions when others have watched me reverse into very tight spaces, stopping cm from their vehicle, wall etc. as I could see how close I was with my camera but couldn't see the obstacles with my mirrors. The look of relief on their faces was amusing.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Get a reversing camera in your deal.
Brilliant things wouldn't do without ours it spans whole back of van and road behind it's excellent bit of kit

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Chelstons are very good if it means deal or no deal they will fit one for you

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've had many occasions when others have watched me reverse into very tight spaces, stopping cm from their vehicle, wall etc. as I could see how close I was with my camera but couldn't see the obstacles with my mirrors. The look of relief on their faces was amusing.

And that's all my camera is ever used for, if I'm going to get closer than a couple of feet to something solid. I parallel parked ours last Sunday between two cars that I think the neighbours had parked deliberately to try and stop me parking the van there. I could have done it without the camera but in this case the camera let me make it look easy. (y)

I also spent years doing the exactly same thing with large panel vans and no cameras. That's the point I was making, the right driving experience would let you get to a foot or less away just using your mirrors. Five or ten years driving a Sprinter or something similar gives a huge advantage over someone who's spent 40 years driving nothing bigger than a Mondeo in this particular instance.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
In positioning a camera, you need to give it some thought, if you carry bikes on the back then the view of the rear will be obstructed, from a high mounted camera. Also in my experience, low down cameras looking straight out can be rendered useless by the sun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back