Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hello everybody.
I suppose the title gives it away that I'm a tyke?

We've been tuggers for years but we are seriously (and SHE means SERIOUSLY) considering buying a motorhome.
My question is, and I dont expect you to give me specific prices, how much discount in percentage terms should we expect of a dealer when buying second hand, without part xing on a 'van advertised at about 25thou. Assume if you will that our target is not a one off and we can and will walk away.

Its a serious question (money always is to a Yorkshireman) but I'm making it a personal challenge not to pay over the odds.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Emmitdb welcome, cannot advise on discount this is a personal thing on how much you are able to screw em down. Hope you can soon become two axle travellers :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
how much discount in percentage terms should we expect of a dealer when buying second hand,

If it's a good van maybe zero. If he want to shift it, who knows.

Best you can do is serious searching to see what's on offer to give a realist price guide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I went through this process this year buying my first m/h, I was truly shocked by some of the dealers "take or leave it" attatude, they seem to be able to ot sell unprepared grotty vans at almost new prices, I walked sevairal times, and upset a few dealers. I traveled far and wide and in the end bought privately, at least you can see the house of the seller and pay to have the van checked.

There are good dealers I found two ( out of about 10) but they never had then van I wanted

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If it's a good van maybe zero. If he want to shift it, who knows.

Best you can do is serious searching to see what's on offer to give a realist price guide.

Tend to agree many dealers have taken off quite a lot already if a good van to try and shift them, they tend to give extra on ones they want to lose. Guess why.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not having a P/X does not neccesarily give you any advantage in purchasing, some one with a desirable P/X will have a greater advantage than you.

As to a discount, you get what you pay for, knock the price and you could knock the reconditioning quality, for example with a good profit margin a dealer migh fit new tyres if the old ones are a bit marginal, say 5000 miles left.

If the van you are looking at is desirable, no chance as he will be able to sell it to some one else for a better price.

If you find the one you want, just buy it and enjoy, just check the dealers reputaion, thats what counts.

Peter

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hi i would say 10% but that depends on many factors -dealer overheads etc etc. Probably you are aware of sites like Caravan Finder(which is also for M/H) these can offer some super bargains some dealers or private postings the website has mushroomed over the last few years and lists most makes. Alan

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Welcome to the fun site from a fellow Yorkshireman hope you find what you are looking for and choose wisely, as they say here, tha dunt get owt for nowt, and if it looks too good to be true it usualy is, as Peter says if you deal with a reputable dealer and he makes a profit he can afford to look after you and should do. best of luck:Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Worth bearing in mind that most dealers offer finance and will get a kick back from the finance company so offering a cash deal or going in with your own finance arrangements can give you less purchasing power - its a case of working out the best deal for you both ways. Most dealers will totally deny the fact they get a bonus from finance but the salesmen I know do. Always worth haggling on free accessories that you need as obviously you will be looking at the retail price they will be looking at cost - happy haggling.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi & welcome from another Yorkshire pud :ROFLMAO: NO set % discout but if you do not ask you will not get :Sad::thumb:
Best advise is find the LAYOUT you like with the van type :thumb: then scrounge around all the adds in auto trader / ebay for a general idea on the advertised prices.:thumb: This will give you how much to pay :thumb: Remember you can always make an offer and walk away leaving your phone number ! This may prove a good idea but also you may miss your van :Eeek: There will always be another but set your budget and stick to it. Layout is the single most important thing or you may end up wasting £1000s on a wrong van.
PAYS your money & make your choice but most important ENJOY :thumb:
terry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't be afraid to "insult " the dealer with an offer. Don't be rude, the low offer should insult, not the way you make it :Smile:Remember the deal will almost always be somewhere between your offer and the asking price. Offer really low prices and some dealers will insult you back, don't worry its only a game, but the money is real::bigsmile: Remember that a good deal should leave you both happy, the dealer has lots of on costs and needs to make a living as well. best of luck:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
And there's sort of the other side.

OK, private sale, but we technically, looking about, payed over the odds for Winne, but for us she's an exceptional vehicle, condition, history etc etc and the perfect layout for us. It didn't help she'd only been advertised 2 days and the owner could see, dispite best efforts, how keen we were. That said, between the mags, a show and ebay I've yet to see either another Winne RC28 (the model we wanted/have) or anything else close to what we have, so.....

No regrets, eyes open and having loads of fun:thumb:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
How Much!!

Don't buy in this country - I bought my motorhome in Germany 3 years ago for £10k less than list price and got £3k worth of extras for free!!!

UK Motorhome/Caravan vendors ususally will not budge on price cos they know some mug will come along and pay through the nose eventually.

Another tip - if you do buy abroad, take out insurance (using the engine number as vehicle ID) and take a trip to Greece/Scandinavia etc. (Anywhere which covers 5000+ miles) and when you get back to UK you won't need to pay any VAT on your van.::bigsmile:

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I've just bought mine from a dealer. I thought being the end of the season they would give a decent discount, but not the case. In fact, the only thing I got was an upgrade from a 6 month road licence to a 12 month road licence:Eeek:

I still went for it because it was a really good price anyway and it was right for me. It also meant the dealer went around fixing all sorts of little things and got it perfect for me on the day of delivery and did it with a good grace.

I guess you need to look around long enough to build up a sense of what is a good price. A lot of dealers will put it up high expecting to negotiate down - some won't so will be more inflexible on price.

The thing that gave me most reassuarance, is I called up the importer for the MH I wanted to buy and asked them for advise on whether it was a good price. If you ask nicely people will always help :Smile:

Best of luck

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I've just bought mine from a dealer. I thought being the end of the season they would give a decent discount, but not the case. In fact, the only thing I got was an upgrade from a 6 month road licence to a 12 month road licence:Eeek:

I still went for it because it was a really good price anyway and it was right for me. It also meant the dealer went around fixing all sorts of little things and got it perfect for me on the day of delivery and did it with a good grace.

I guess you need to look around long enough to build up a sense of what is a good price. A lot of dealers will put it up high expecting to negotiate down - some won't so will be more inflexible on price.

The thing that gave me most reassuarance, is I called up the importer for the MH I wanted to buy and asked them for advise on whether it was a good price. If you ask nicely people will always help :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
All depends on the van you wish too buy, what type, how desirable and how sellable if you don't buy it.

If you give a description of what van you are looking at then Im sure many will tell you what too expect.
When buying from dealers though, expect very little unless you stumble accross one that must be moved.

I buy and sell privately and get an independent hab check done, saved about 6k on dealer price and got a shed load of extras.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I emailed a dealer in the us earlier in the year and asked him what his best price was for an rv that I had been looking at. He immediatley offerd me $1000.00 dollars off the advertised price.

The rv was pobabley overpriced anyway :RollEyes:

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread