How much work do you do on your van ? (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't touch the van - ever.

I don't understand how anything works.

I don't understand engines, electrics, gas appliances or water systems.

Even if I did understand stuff I have zero practical ability.

I am good at spinning coins though(y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're totally useless - we have to create a project plan and gird our loins before we fill up with diesel and water, and lets not even mention filling up with gas which always involves lots of foul language and often cut fingers!!!! Sometimes I think we don't deserve to own a motorhome, but then again I'm sure there are a few others out there like us.
However, lack of knowledge doesn't stop us being adventurous in it - done about 8,000 miles in the last year including a trip to Crete via Montenegro and Albania. I just make sure we've got extended warranty from the dealer and good European breakdown cover (not needed either yet though).................... what's the betting we'll break down on the way to Lincoln now.

fingerscrossed.png

Sep 29, 2012
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We are lucky to know Techno who kindly keeps us safe and updated with repairs and new installations, Karen is very good at washing and waxing the van and understanding how most things work

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Just yesterday I had to replace the rubber washer at the bottom of the fuel filter.
Van would not start the day before & leaking diesel, big panic!
Upon close examination the ancient rubber washer was perished & split.
The filter was changed at last major(expensive) service, but this washer looked much older.
Looks like the professional mechanic, in his time is money mindset has not bothered to change the old for a new washer. Probably fumbled behind the air cleaner to put the old water sensor plug & wiring back and not actually looked at the condition of the washer.
I'm not into naming etc. especially as the guy has a very good reputation on this & other forums, plus he is a genuinely decent bloke.
Things sometimes get overlooked, it's taught me a lesson anyway.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I have fitted a tracker, replaced both headlights and power connectors, cleaned and serviced the fire, rewired the power supply for the TV, fitted a new crank battery and an isolator, repaired the glass fibre bonnet, fitted new carpet, repaired the kitchen sink tap, replaced the shower, serviced the karsi, repaired the wiring looms to both rear light clusters and fixed the busted level indicator to the fresh water tank.

I am half way through resealing the underside with waxoyl, have to replace the waterproof junction boxes for the rear light clusters and now the reversing camera has gone up the troxy, so a new one has been purchased.

I hope to get some of this done while we are in France for a week, 4th October, along with servicing the bike rack in anticipation of acquiring 2 electric bikes in the near future.

I also hope to fit another solar panel on the roof and add a 3rd leisure battery this year, before the bad weather sets in, and at some point I hope to see the inside of another B564 so I can find out how to repair the damage done to the forward diner seat frame by the previous owner.

Hymie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back