How much weight on bike rack? (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Good morning all.
Your advice and comments please.....
Rapido 786F, 2006, X244 2.8jtd.
We bought the van last year (Very Pleased with it) but haven’t yet put bikes on the rack.
Now wanting to load up with two bikes,one weighing 20kg and the other 16kg,total 36kg (clever that,eh!)
The bike rack is rated at 60kg,so that’s OK.
My concern is regarding the strength of the rear structure of the van in taking this weight. Somebody I know had similar weight on their bike rack and it buckled the back of the van as the structure was too weak to take it...........NOT a Rapido though.
With potholes and speed bumps etc.,the downforces at times must be considerably more than the static weight.
I will be within payload and axle weight limits.

What do you think? Am I being too careful/paranoid?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Used one for many years on the back of various vans and never had one bother the van rear so get it used. Even had one on the back of a Swift caravan and carried two bikes to Spain and back so if a caravan can take it then a motorhome will.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've noticed Some vans have 2 vertical channels fixed to the back to spread the load, I'd see how it goes though, maybe an option in the future.

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well thanks to the 3 [three] Funsters who replied. Yes,THREE !!
Obviously not a subject that’s a lot of interest to most on here though.
C’est la vie.
I shall put them on and hope for the best.

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Hi Podney,
How did you get on with the bikes? I have exactly the same MH as you and also haven't yet used the bike rack - having also owned it for just under a year. Have you had yours weighed at a weighbridge? If so, what is your actual payload? I don't tend to carry much ( mostly wine and beer!) but as people seem to be talking on this forum about payloads a lot I am wondering what the actual payload of our MH is? Fantastic MH and very pleased with it and everything works on it as it should still 14 years after it was built which is a good test of quality.
Cheers
Richard

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Podney,
How did you get on with the bikes? I have exactly the same MH as you and also haven't yet used the bike rack - having also owned it for just under a year. Have you had yours weighed at a weighbridge? If so, what is your actual payload? I don't tend to carry much ( mostly wine and beer!) but as people seem to be talking on this forum about payloads a lot I am wondering what the actual payload of our MH is? Fantastic MH and very pleased with it and everything works on it as it should still 14 years after it was built which is a good test of quality.
Cheers
Richard
@RichardandKaren sorry haven’t posted sooner. We’ve been away and had limited WiFi/mifi. I haven’t yet put the bikes on the rack. The duchess is still getting used to riding a bike again,and now has an electric one as one of her knees is dodgy.
We’ve just got back from our first trip to France in the Moho and it went well. One night wild,one in a friends garden,two on campsites and one Aire.
I made a post about payload on here a week or so ago...I think it was started with the words” Would you believe it...”. It was on the Rapido section.
We went to weighbridge just about fully loaded. Full tank of water,which I think is 100 litres? Full diesel tank 80 litres,clothes,food,both me and the duchess together weigh about 24 stone in old money.
The weighbridge certificate says. Total. 3360. Front axle 1640. Rear axle. 1760.
We are plated for 3850kg,so tons to spare.
I have removed the very heavy Rapido table,have you?
I can’t see why it was necessary for the previous owner to up grade from 3500 to 3850. But I am a little dubious about the accuracy of weighbridges that are designed to weigh great fat lorries up to 40 tons or so.
Glad you like your 786 F. It does seem to be very well built,and the old 2.8 Jtd is a solid workhorse. I haven’t totally got to the bottom of Fiat Ducato gearbox issues,but was told on here by a guy who should know, that the 5th gear problem is not an issue with this era as the gearbox is sealed for life. That goes against my old school knowledge,so I do tend to nurse her along a bit,and don’t go into fifth until its all warmed up.
Have you been away much?
Sorry this is a bit garbled,in a bit of a rush having just returned to bricks and mortar.

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Hi Podney, thanks for your reply. Think I’ll take mine down to weighbridge sometime but would seem ok from what you say - mine is still at 3500. You mention replacing table which I agree is heavy and actually too big - what did you replace it with? We’ve been away quite a bit since we bought her but not ventured abroad yet ( cost of dog passports a bit off putting!).

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,we replaced it with a folding caravan table bought from a person on eBay. It is very stable and not heavy,so easy to keep in garage when not in use.
We had a week in France recently,and it is right what others say on here.....very motorhome friendly,lots of aires and sites. And it was a pleasure to drive on nearly empty roads that were mainly free of potholes!
Happy travels!
Btw,are you on the Rapido Owners Group on Facebook? I’m not as I don’t do Facebook,but the duchess is and she finds it quite good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back