LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
When i leave home water tank is full, when ever i get the chance to fill up i do.
Never know for sure just where i might be next, campsite or field? like to always try and cover the essentials, water, gas, electric, food and fuel. As someone cleverer than me said, Fail to prepare, prepare to fail:cry:
Steve

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Hilarious nonsense. I always top up. Who knows where I'll be next. "Do it when you can, not when you have to" has been a motto which has got me out of plenty of otherwise stressfull situations. I believe the Scouts call it "be prepared".

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I'm rather surprised that some funsters run with full tanks; 1 litre = 1 Kg; a big chunk into payload limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I see it the same as diesel, when we stop to fill up, well we fill up. Fuel and fresh water it has the same purpose = to keep things going.

Waste water on the other hand I don't appreciate carrying around so that goes ASAP.

Regarding the OP's 1ltr question, that wouldn't get my kettle half way down the road:Doh:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I run with full water , full diesel, full toilet flush, empty waste water.I have tried the fuel with full diesel and no water, made no difference to my fuel consumption. So I keep a full tank of diesel, saying that I fill up after a hundred miles.

Margaret

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm rather surprised that some funsters run with full tanks; 1 litre = 1 Kg; a big chunk into payload limit.

But even with 120 litres of water on board, we still have enough payload for comfort. Now if we decided to stack the van with wine for the return trip (rather than just put a reasonable selection in the garage) I might have to drop the water level right down and bathe in Sauternes! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have met a few people that have had punctures, breakdowns, missed ferries, etc; that wished they had water in their tank because of an unforeseen overnight stop. I'll run with mine full Ta!

Craig

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Just been to [HI]Lowdhams[/HI] getting a minor repair dealt with and this chap came in with a leak on his fresh water tank. The person he was talking to stated that all manufactures advised to run with no more than 1Ltr in the tank and the reason why he had the water on his floor was it was too full and that he may have made the long journey there for nothing, but they would look at it anyway.
We run with anything from full to a third depending on how long we are away and fill as necessary. What do other Funsters think about this? It seems unreasonable to only run with a litre of water aboard.

Says it all to me really :Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

And the average bloke is about 90kg, so again, about the same weight as a passenger !

Would you worry about carrying a Person ? If your payload is that tight I would be constantly worried about going anywhere !

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
All this talk about water
I just noticed were down to 25% time to fill up I think :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Always run with full water tank. You never know whether there will be water available when you stop. I have even arrived at a 'proper' site to find all the taps frozen.
1L in our tank would probably not reach the pump pick up pipe.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Chausson calculate mass in running order with a driver of 75kg, 75% fuel, 100% water and 100% gas.
I don't think they will tell you to travel with 1 litre of water in yours!::bigsmile:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
In adverse weather especially high winds I like to run fully ballasted, 1/2 a tank or more of FW. Makes the van much more stable.:thumb:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
And the average bloke is about 90kg, so again, about the same weight as a passenger !

Would you worry about carrying a Person ? If your payload is that tight I would be constantly worried about going anywhere !

I have more important things to carry than excess water. The point I was trying to make was that it would be easy to exceed MGW; this not only may get you fined (approx £100 for every 5% excess but more importantly , your insurance is void. I sometimes get very concerned when some comments appear to treat payload in a very dismissive manner.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
While the service rep was talking nonsense, a lot of the answers on here have been right for the individual circumstances, even where wildly different.

If you have a motorhome weighing 5 tonnes plus, then chances are you have a comfortable available payload & whether you have 20 or 150 litres of water on board isn't going to put you overweight & is going to make no significant difference to stability or fuel consumption. Convenience is everything, so fill it up.

But a lot of the 3.3 & 3.5 MAM vans are very restricted on payload. If they have 100 litre tanks, solar panels, doubled up leisure batteries, inverters, all the kit that they power, awnings, essential supplies of booze, some non-essential children & a couple of large dogs, then travelling with full tanks of both fuel & water will almost certainly put them over weight. A trip to the local weighbridge would soon confirm or reassure. Whether 100kg overweight is a serious safety issue is arguable, but it could lead to a fine & a difficult conversation with insurers.

In our campervan days, water was carried in a removable 19lt container that you carried to the tap. We usually managed at least two days on that, three if I was alone. So I would say 20lts is a sensible minimum to carry if you are heading for somewhere that is supposed to have water available.

Anything above that - well if you have the luxury of the available payload, fine - make use of it & enjoy the convenience. It is supposed to be fun, after all.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

I have more important things to carry than excess water. The point I was trying to make was that it would be easy to exceed MGW; this not only may get you fined (approx £100 for every 5% excess but more importantly , your insurance is void. I sometimes get very concerned when some comments appear to treat payload in a very dismissive manner.

Somewhat out of date info I am sad to say.. Fine is considerably more on private vehicles nowadays ( than commercials )
Brought about as a deterrent ( which as far as I can see did not work ! ) to try to dissuade people on beer runs from overloading their cars etc
Also you can be endorsed for it too depending on how much you are over..
For me, travelling as much as Woman and I do, water is about the most important thing we CAN load on..
But if you are never on the road for long distances or do not venture too much away from our shores, then of course I can understand your stance.. We may not even SEE a fresh water source for 3 or 4 days at a time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back