How much water for a MH shower? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There is another side to this, hot water volume, your heater will heat it's smallish tank up but relatively slowly so you will run out of hot water before you run out of water. You'll have to suck it and see. I laugh, quietly to myself, when I hear people say "I would not use a campsite shower, our MH shower is good for us". They obviously don't know what a real shower is like. Many of us describe a campsite by the quality of their showers.
We are the opposite why walk across a campsite to a shower that you might have to queue for hang up all your stuff try to get dry without getting anything wet etc when you have your own? If there was an option to have cheaper sites with no shower or electric we would take it every time. As it is we only use them if visiting our son in Edinburgh or whwere there are no c/ls

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
We have just come back from 5 nights away ,we have a 200ltr fresh water tank and we lasted the 5nights with a cup full to spare both showering every night and all the other stuff the water is used for so I guess that works out at about 40ltrs a day for both of us
Brian & Jo

Almost exactly the same for us. 200l tank lasts about 5 nights at that level of use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I use under 20 litres a day.
Shower every morning and save the cold water that comes out first.
Used for washing up later.
Wash up once a day, usually in the evening.
Use spray bottle for loo. That really makes a difference in how quickly the cassette fills up lol
Occasionally use a campsite shower but struggle to find the off button :whistle:

Best thing you can do is leave bucket under open waste tap for 24 hours and see how much it fills up.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hmmm - I'm a pensioner who thinks he's a teenager! Lot's of good feedback here - thanks guys
Some will convince you they only need fill up just once a week. I would suggest that it would be the amount of shows they take not the water used for each show.;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some will convince you they only need fill up just once a week. I would suggest that it would be the amount of shows they take not the water used for each show.;)
Oooooo-errrr ... and what shows do you put on dear?

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Agree with most, wet down soap up and rinse off, 8-10Ltrs. At home running measured at 18-20Ltrs - know this because I measured before having a water meter fitted!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Agree with most, wet down soap up and rinse off, 8-10Ltrs. At home running measured at 18-20Ltrs - know this because I measured before having a water meter fitted!
Funny you mention that as was thinking of fitting one on the RV :)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
MH Showers, what luxury!
When I were a lad, no one had a shower in their home, most used to have to have a strip wash at the sink with a flannel, then cue up for the Sunday night bath before school on Monday. The house had no central heating either, only a coal fire in the living room (to dry off in front of), and another coal boiler in the kitchen which warmed the water tank.
I cannot tell you how many times my mum would blame me for ruining her wall paper in the bathroom as it was soaked with steam, hardly surprising really as the bathroom was so cold in winter as soon as you ran the hot water tap the room steamed up so much you

couldn't see your toes!
Sounds crazy these days, but we were happy enough, it was usual for mums to come in the bedroom and fling open the windows, even mid winter, "to let the fresh air in".(she was of Scottish decent)
Now I am a big southern softie,I cant stand cold weather, cant afford to open the windows at home as it takes long enough for the house to get to 24 degrees:D
PS: and I only visit my Scottish relatives mid summer, I would have to hibernate if I lived up there full time! The winter Wind would blow me over at times.
God we have gone soft .We lived in a2up2 down 10 kids. Tinbath under stairs.copper boiler I corner all lined up. Smallest in frontoldest at end. Thank God for our motorhome with all mod cons.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Around 20-30 litres a day for everything, however swmbo tends to go for a strip wash rather than a shower and uses site showers if we're on one. I find it amusing to see people walking around a site in a dressing gown in the rain.
We use a spray bottle for the loo with diluted pink stuff in.
I don't use site showers even if available due to inconvenience and the fact I got a verruca in one years ago which took 6 months to be rid of

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Are they showers? I thought it was just a small shallow bath with a spray head. Very difficult to sit in it though.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How dirty are you really??
download_4.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having started to use a 10 litre watering can to top up the water tank I reckon 2 showers will usually need a watering can full putting back in , so that's 5 litres each.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We did meet a couple a few years ago who only had a 55 litre tank and they reckoned they needed to fill up after 1 shower. Perhaps they used the shower like they do at home
Screenshot_20180113-212231.png

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
During the warmer months we never use the boiler to heat (via gas) the water. We shower in the shower enclosure, but use a Hozelock portable shower which holds 5 litres of water in total - from which we can both get an adequate shower. I bought the portable shower (unused) in a car boot sale, one of the best buys for a fiver.
Depending on the actual air temperature, it is easy to gauge how much hot water to put in, heated in the gas kettle. Much easier to conserve water this way, and less waste to dispose of. Been doing it this way for many years. We only use the boiler for showering when we have the heating on - but still keep an eye on the water used.
David.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find it wastes a lot of water getting the temperature stable. I am going to try taking my watering can in the shower and running the shower in that till the temperature stabilises. That water can be put back in the tank.
It seems a particular problem in my mh as the water pipes run in the same spaces as the heating ducts, fine for winterising but leads to sections of the cold water pipes getting very warm.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I appreciate that the OP was relating to the shower time in terms of the water content from the tank and not the duration of the shower in terms of hot water supply.

Anyone with concerns/issues around hot water supply who has Alde Heating may consider fitting Alde Flow. I have it in my van and we have a continues flow of hot water (tank content dependant) If the fresh tank has water, we will have a continues flow of hot water until the tank runs dry. I like a long shower in the morning!

I posted a post on the topic when I first collected my van asking if anyone else had experience of the system. If anyone wants more info it would be worth searching for that topic.

The dishwasher uses 9 Litres per wash :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I appreciate that the OP was relating to the shower time in terms of the water content from the tank and not the duration of the shower in terms of hot water supply.

Anyone with concerns/issues around hot water supply who has Alde Heating may consider fitting Alde Flow. I have it in my van and we have a continues flow of hot water (tank content dependant) If the fresh tank has water, we will have a continues flow of hot water until the tank runs dry. I like a long shower in the morning!

I posted a post on the topic when I first collected my van asking if anyone else had experience of the system. If anyone wants more info it would be worth searching for that topic.

The dishwasher uses 9 Litres per wash :)
The hungriest for water on mine is the washer/dryer 54litres ;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I did. Note the last bullet point from the advert::D

Available for retrofit exclusively at Alde UK. 3020-023 options dongle required.

• Dimensions: Height 180 × Width 320 × Depth 320 mm
  • Weight: 2.3 kg
  • Max 12 V current: 0.17 A
  • Max flow-rate: 3.5 LPM
  • Combines power of gas and electric heating
  • Can use existing surge damper/accumulator
  • Buff manservant to refill Aquaroll may be advantageous

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I find it wastes a lot of water getting the temperature stable. I am going to try taking my watering can in the shower and running the shower in that till the temperature stabilises. That water can be put back in the tank.
It seems a particular problem in my mh as the water pipes run in the same spaces as the heating ducts, fine for winterising but leads to sections of the cold water pipes getting very warm.

Thats actually a really good idea when off grid. Ill put it in my living in the motorhome full time if the wife ever kicks me out plans. I was a boy scout so like to be prepared (y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Think our tank holds 100 litres and we tend to drop 25 litres a day. That's me showering and Steve washing plus tea,ncoffee, etc.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Don't know about an individual shower but with both of us having a shower, & everything else water is used for our daily useage is around 35Lt.
I would think that you both had a shower, there would be no space left for water. Then a rub down with a damp flannel afterwards would use very little water:rofl:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Navy" showering:- wet down, water off, Soap Up, Rinse off. "DON`T" bend down to pick the soap up.:D2:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back