How much to replace a ceiling? (damp...) (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2020
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision
Exp
Hiring for odd holidays for a few years, new to owning
We're fallen in love with a vehicle but we've not bought it because it has damp.

Everyone says you should run a mile when there are signs of damp.

But I'm wondering how much "expensive repairs" can cost. I can see exactly where the water is getting in, and it looks like an easy fix (cracked sealant). I think the lasting damage is largely to the ply ceiling - I can see damp rot on the ply but not the pine frame in the one place I can see. If I push the board hard it doesn't give anywhere. We'd want to replace the whole ceiling, I think, for cosmetic purposes as well as to ensure there's no damp rot. This would involve taking the bathroom and all the top cupboards out.

Understandably, no repair shop will be drawn on the typical cost of a project like this. If I had just a rough range I'd be in a position to negotiate with the seller. But as it is, all I know is everyone shakes their heads and says you should run a mile.

Any more opinions?!?!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Problem is that if the roof is wet where else has it gone water capillaries and the walls and floor could be damp.
If not doing it yourself it maybe an easy fix if not you probably need to budget for Ā£3000 to Ā£4000.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unless it's a job you can do yourself, it is expensive as labour intensive

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just to terrify or inspire, read this thread

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
20 years ago, a job like you have could have cost around Ā£2000. Only ever really considered as an insurance claim then.
It is not usually an inside the van job. I have seen the whole roof being removed in order to access rotting timbers where water has travelled over time and wet rot developed. This is not a matter of cosmetics but can be structural integrity.
On the good side, if you have the knowledge and skills to tackle such work, offer the seller scrap value.
Compared with the cost of engine parts, body parts can be eye watering.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would say negotiate a massive chunk of cash off and then see what happens, I have repaired them in the past though.

What I can say is the damage that you can see is always a fraction of the damage that has occurred.....

Any doubts at all, run!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Run, just run, don't be tempted no matter how much you like it, it simply is NOT worth the hassle, expense or worry as you'll always be thinking about where you didn't managed to sort it as it's hidden ...

Just RUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We're fallen in love with a vehicle but we've not bought it because it has damp.

Everyone says you should run a mile when there are signs of damp.

But I'm wondering how much "expensive repairs" can cost. I can see exactly where the water is getting in, and it looks like an easy fix (cracked sealant). I think the lasting damage is largely to the ply ceiling - I can see damp rot on the ply but not the pine frame in the one place I can see. If I push the board hard it doesn't give anywhere. We'd want to replace the whole ceiling, I think, for cosmetic purposes as well as to ensure there's no damp rot. This would involve taking the bathroom and all the top cupboards out.

Understandably, no repair shop will be drawn on the typical cost of a project like this. If I had just a rough range I'd be in a position to negotiate with the seller. But as it is, all I know is everyone shakes their heads and says you should run a mile.

Any more opinions?!?!

Unless you are a seriously impressive DIYer like this chap is. RUN!!!

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Or this one.

Or this one

Or this one.

The last 2 are the most recent I think and seriously impressive work.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thereā€™s some that might like that....šŸ˜‚
Is that a requirement for your new girlfriend? Could be an interesting advert ...

Lady friend wanted, must:
  • have long hairy legs
  • beautiful eyes ... several pairs!
  • likes S&M especially incorporating wet fish
Contact me for a 'wheely' good time! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Argar

Free Member
Sep 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Or this one.

Or this one

Or this one.

The last 2 are the most recent I think and seriously impressive work.

The first thread mentioned is mine and is the repair I'm currently doing - it's a reasonable sized job, depends how extensive the damage is and unfortunately, that's hard to gauge until you start ripping wall/ceiling boards out.

The cost of parts (glue, wallboard, etc) is not insignificant!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back