How much snow and ice is too much on my MH? (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
So it's all starting to get a bit silly here, we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground and on top of the MH. I am quite used to the climate here but new to owning a MH.

I am keeping an electric fan heater on frost setting about plus 2 c inside the MH, however this is melting the snow adjacent to the bodywork, some freezes on the roof and some runs down the side of the MH and freezes as its minus 10 today was minus 15 overnight. There is a build up of ice all over the windscreen and upper bodywork.

I expect outside temperatures to stay below freezing for the next two week at least and maybe longer before any thaw is likely. Its still snowing now and we could have another foot or two in the coming weeks.

I can open the side door and all is nice and dry inside, electrics hooked up, batteries on charge.

Its the snow and ice build up I am interested in, any advise, guidance or thoughts on this, photos attached.

2021-02-03 15.52.33.jpg
20210203_155154.jpg
2021-02-03 15.53.14.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don't think the ice and snow should be a problem but probably best left alone until it thaws now.
I just ventilate rather than leave heat on but I can see why you wanted to heat with -15 overnight.
Don't worry it'll be fine when it warms up 👍🏻

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
From our experience in really cold temps it’s best to keep the roof clear of snow straight away. It’s impossible to clear after a day or so once an icy crust forms. If you leave it then you end up with a very thick layer of ice under the snow where it melts and refreezes on the roof. As this builds up you can then get problems with seals and roof hatches.

Our neighbours in Montgenevre couldn’t move their van for 3 days due to a 3 inch layer of ice on top of the gearbox after snow melting from the windscreen and bonnet got in:-(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
not wishing to take away from your question, but why do people have so much trouble gauging depth of snow or water for that matter

2’ would be somewhere near the top of your wheels 🤔

but I would get the heating up and melt it, we had about 3” on ours a few weeks ago, when it melted I think the standing snow stopped the water running off and we had a leak through a sky light

put in on Ramps to get more slope , or if like us I lowered one side of our E&P jacks to do the same

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
A fan heater isn't the most efficient way of protecting your van from frost & snow, we use a convection heater on frost protection.
It uses very little electricity & despite the last two days of constant snow, none is settling on the roof or windows on our van. The convection heater kicks in if the temp gets below 5c & despite or van being 26yrs old, its bone dry inside.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our neighbours in Montgenevre couldn’t move their van for 3 days due to a 3 inch layer of ice on top of the gearbox after snow melting from the windscreen and bonnet got in:-(
That makes little sense.
The ice is on the outside of the gearbox and will soon melt once the gearbox has warmed up.
If there was ice on the windscreen would that stop them moving.

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
pappajohn Ok I’ll explain further.

The snow melted off their silver screen in the sun, poured through the bonnet vents and refroze on the very cold gearbox, covering the exposed selector arm and cable on top of it in a thick layer of ice. The gearbox couldn’t warm anything until they got moving which wasn’t going to happen as they couldnt get it out of neutral. Temperatures of -20c overnight and max of -15c in the day make managing snow and ice a bit more of a challenge than usual

Does that make sense now?

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think they need to check the scutle drains, the melt water shouldn`t be getting onto the gearbox
Blocked with ice. The water took an unusual route, not helped by snow bridging over the drains, and the way he had fitted his silver screen. Thats my point, in such extreme temperatures clearing the snow is the best way to avoid strange problems.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Unless you need to move it I would leave alone unless you have a big depth of wet snow
You could brush it off if you have a ladder you can safely use in those conditions
Personally I haven't bothered on the van but have occasionally got the snow of the conservatory roof when things have been bad which is not often here

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
2021-02-04 08.54.14.jpg
Thank you funsters for all your thoughts and opinions, I wonder if I built a ramp I could get the snowblower up and over the roof!!!!!! Had another dump (snow) last night and thought about this as I was clearing up, its not been a bad night as its only minus 12 c today.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2020
Penrith Cumbria
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent
Exp
Since 2000
Two years ago while in Slovenia we had 1.5 meters of snow each night for a week. Lot of work constantly clearing it but no damage.

785AAC89-6F71-4D98-BDE0-A577FF202821.jpeg D8420E91-7BE9-4F77-A9A7-2FD0BF385C7B.jpeg

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I use a window T squeegee and clean the snow. I don’t let it build up. The solar panels takes most of the roof and are flat. I don’t fancy hundreds of kilos of ice and snow on flat panels. Same for the windscreen and vents.
For the record, at minus 15-20C deg the snow moves like fluffy sand, frozen and doesn’t stick. When near 0 deg the snow sticks. If it warms up that’s when you clean it up before it freezes. If it’s frozen, I don’t touch it. It does not snow at -15-20C, it’s always close to -2-3 deg. The most horrible one is frozen rain, it covers everything in ice. It stall my wind turbine and had to take it down.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2021
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Ford Autosleeper
Lovely to see the snowy pictures and thanks for an interesting topic/chat, you have got me thinking, although we don't have much snow here in 'Sunny' Bognor Regis' so may not be a problem for me. I hope no damage occurs on your MH.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you heat the interior what you don't want is moist air turning to condensation (or ice) on the inside of the snowed-over windscreen, then going into the electrics behind the dashboard. Mabe you need to dehumidify the warm air at the same time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Such nice replies, the Hobby appears nice and dry inside nothing is damp, the air here is very dry and not as damp as i remember the UK where I lived all my live until I decided to escape from the madding crowd. Bless you all and once again thank you for your constructive comments.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

The snow melted off their silver screen in the sun, poured through the bonnet vents and refroze on the very cold gearbox, covering the exposed selector arm and cable on top of it in a thick layer of ice. The gearbox couldn’t warm anything until they got moving which wasn’t going to happen as they couldnt get it out of neutral. Temperatures of -20c overnight and max of -15c in the day make managing snow and ice a bit more of a challenge than usual

Well, I would take the logical solution and boil a kettle of water to melt the ice in the critical areas.
Unfortunately, some people can't see logic.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks

Made sense to me

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back