Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Just got my road tax reminder through the post from the DVLA. I normally tax it for the full year, BUT;
IF (and it’s a big IF) I change my van soon, do I tax it for 6 months or a year, or doesn’t it matter?
Can’t remember the new tax rulz and the fiddle of what you get rebated.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
If you sell your motorhome you will get a rebate on your car tax for each complete month. I think they do it automatically these days so make sure you notify DVLA as soon as you sell it! I understand you can do this online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I always just pay it monthly these days and have for a while as I changed my cars like my socks ...then as soon as I'd sold the car cancel direct debit.
Never had an issue

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why not do it on the monthly direct debit...
That way when you trade it it will all happen automatic and you payments will just cease once DVLA are notified and you do that online as well now (y)

Cost a little more over a year but could be worth it instead of waiting or chasing a refund.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
If it is done online very little wait and no chasing. Camper UK filled mine out online Friday 5th and rebate arrived in the post Wednesday 10th. Always try and do it on line with the DVLA much more efficient.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just got my road tax reminder through the post from the DVLA. I normally tax it for the full year, BUT;
IF (and it’s a big IF) I change my van soon, do I tax it for 6 months or a year, or doesn’t it matter?
Can’t remember the new tax rulz and the fiddle of what you get rebated.

Just wondering no tax on van
Some insurance companies may refuse to pay out
If lost or damaged

For what you save keep it taxed handy for a day out as well

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just wondering no tax on van
If lost or damaged

For what you save keep it taxed handy for a day out as well
I don't think he's considering NOT taxing it, just looking for the best/easiest way to do it ...

I have ours paid monthly by DD which automatically renews so no worry about forgetting about it, it also means I've got a DD for a bank account which needed another to get interest paid on it! It doesn't cost much more to do it via DD so worth not having to mess about.

When you sell your tax will be cancelled by the DVLA once they get the 'new owner' docs sent in, if it's close to the end of the month though I'd make sure that they have been notified as you don't want to inadvertently end up paying the next month if they don't get the docs sent in before it's due - easy to SORN it online when you sell it.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all for your replies.
Yes, I never considered NOT taxing it! Just wasn’t sure what the best time to sell was to maximise the rebate.

Anyway, hey-ho, a trivial consideration compared to buying another van. I know what’s going to happen, I’m struggling to get budget approval from the IMF (Mrs W) at the moment and when/if I do, I’ll probably change my mind! :D2

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I always just pay it monthly these days and have for a while as I changed my cars like my socks ...then as soon as I'd sold the car cancel direct debit.
Never had an issue

I never pay tax on my socks anymore..... but you can cash in @ smellmysocks.com..... purveyors of fine cheeses...:Eeek:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I never pay tax on my socks anymore..... but you can cash in @ smellmysocks.com..... purveyors of fine cheeses...:Eeek:
download (1).jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Insurers state must be roadworthy......
Having no tax doesn't make it unroadworthy so providing its on SORN insurers will pay out..
If it isn't taxed or on SORN it makes it illegal which may affect insurance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back