How much power lead ? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
As well as the long power lead supplied with my MH, should I take an extension lead too?

Regards
Robert

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I carry two 25m leads and have only ever used the second one once - when I lent it to another motorhomer who had forgotten theirs. That's over about 30 years in the UK and Europe.... if that gives you an idea. (if you don't carry a spare one though, you can bet your bottom dollar that's the time you'll need it! :) )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi BwB
And that's the exact dilemma I'm facing. Take out the 5om extension lead which is taking up valuable space or risk not having enough cable
Based on your scientific research I think I'll take a chance and leave it at home
More room for wine and beer!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Guys
As well as the long power lead supplied with my MH, should I take an extension lead too?

Regards
Robert
The answer depends upon where you are going and what type of sites or other places are you staying.

If you are sticking to well organised sites in the UK then 25m should be enough. Having said that I was on a CCC site a couple of weeks ago and all the EHU pitches were booked. They let a caravan onto a non-EHU pitch and trail a very long lead to get some electrics.

If you are intending to use Aires in France then more than 25m may be needed.

It also depends upon how desperate you are for an EHU. We have 2 batteries and 2 solar panels so can do without most of the year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Peter
We're planning on using organised camp sites mostly and have two leisure batteries so should be ok
How do you power your fridge? Gas?
Ours won't run off batteries unless the engine is running?
Regards
Robert

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Hi Guys

Regards
Robert

Hi Robert, I have a 10m lead as well as the 25m one that came with the van. The 10m is handy at home too. Use the two leads fairly often in Scandinavia where the power source can be some way from the pitch or in really remote areas when a friendly farmer lets you hook up outside a barn. (always carry at least 4 half bottles of scotch! Worth it's weight!) Beware some of the cheap leads found on line, some of them are not well made (British understatement!).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Bertie
We're planning a trip to Scandinavia next summer so your tip is particularly useful, and as we're going to Scotland in the Spring we can pick up the Scotch while we're there
Regards

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Hi Bertie
We're planning a trip to Scandinavia next summer so your tip is particularly useful, and as we're going to Scotland in the Spring we can pick up the Scotch while we're there
Regards

It'll be the trip of a lifetime if you like wide open spaces and wildlife. We're a;ready planning the next one for 2016! Great, hospitable people that's the Swedes, Danes and the Northern Norwegians, the South of Norway a little less friendly and very, very affluent.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter
We're planning on using organised camp sites mostly and have two leisure batteries so should be ok
How do you power your fridge? Gas?
Ours won't run off batteries unless the engine is running?
Regards
Robert
Yes gas for the fridge works well. Really does not take that much gas, and is certainly cheaper than the cost of an EHU. If you have 2 decent leisure batteries then I would recommend you get a couple of solar panels. I did and fitted them myself. Cost me just over ÂŁ350 all in for 2 x 200W panels. I was really worried about the hole in the roof, but needn't have. I found it was very easy, after getting lots of really good advice on this forum and at a funster rally I went to.

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have 2x25m and 1x10m.
I have had to use 2 of them several times and all three a couple of times.
Sometimes it's the only way to get power on foreign campsites or aires.

Upvote 0

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
If you can't really decide on carrying one or two and most cables are 25mtrs, then why not just keep the 50 MTR cable on board just in case you need the extra length and off load the 20/25mtr cable that came with the van.
I agree with other posts that a 25mtr cable is usually enough........... but not always. Particularly in France as mentioned.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
With very long leads and a heavy current a decent cable cross section (2.5 square mm I think) is needed. Many cheap cables are only 1.5 square mm.

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I was on a UK CL where the only place I could park entailed the use of 3 long leads and one borrowed from the site owner. Another in Lancashire needed 3 cables.

I know the guidance is that EHU should be within 25m of a unit but with large heavy motorhomes compared to light caravans parking is not always possible within 25m of a point. " I don't want you to drive over the grass with that"

I also keep a short lead as on another CL I use I park nose on to the point and the lead runs neatly without any coiling to my vans inlet point.

Avoid leaving longer lengths coiled while in use as this can be a potential fire risk.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Used rarely, but very useful mainly abroad and when lending to others. It reminds me of a young couple of newbies who complained their battery kept going flat, we were on a site with EHU, and I said why dont you plug in ? Plug in what ? came the reply. I lent them my spare lead and hey presto for them the world was a better place.
Phil

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Guys
Regards
Robert

Well if your existing one is too short you'll wish you had.

And another one we've wished for occasionally, a Y splitter for when there is only 1 outlet available.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back