How much is enough (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
How many security features will I need.
Going to get a good alarm, so will be going to vanbitz for the growler, but what other features are essential?
Is tracker, non-starting systems worth the extra as the growler is ment to force the baddies out.
Also extra door locks, read that Fiat doors are easy to get into, how secure are habitation doors.
Like the lockable door handle idea though.
Are windows easy to force open or break as double glazed plastic, require more locks?
External doors all use similar locks so are are they vulnerable especially the garage door.
Don't want to go over the top and create fork Knox that even I can't get into, but don't want to be vulnerable to the bad guys.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think a lot is to do with peace of mind. I know my other half slept better on Aires when we increased security, nothing is totally secure you just hope that they find something easier to do.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Strikeback ,growler , and to me the most important the non starter system , I use to worry all the time about leaving my van not anymore if a thief can get nick it now they are very professional and could probably bypass any system or locks. Can't see the point of extra door looks or window locks glass is easy to smash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Don't go overboard and think you everything possible.

Its only a bit of metal, if someone wants to break in you won't stop them, be careful where you park and what you have on show.

We only had an alarm because the insurance insisted on it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Strikeback ,growler , and to me the most important the non starter system , I use to worry all the time about leaving my van not anymore if a thief can get nick it now they are very professional and could probably bypass any system or locks. Can't see the point of extra door looks or window locks glass is easy to smash.

We're going down this route, I agree about the windows though and we are going to rely on the indoor sirens to make their ears bleed. :D2

Don't go overboard and think you everything possible.

Its only a bit of metal, if someone wants to break in you won't stop them, be careful where you park and what you have on show.

We only had an alarm because the insurance insisted on it.

It may only be a bit of metal to you but it is our home and we have most of our possessions and valuables on board (y)

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Have read that the fiat cab doors can be broken into by pushing a screwdriver into the area around the handle, plastic cover. Someone makes metal plates to prevent this.
Have fiat improved their design to stop this?
Also how secure are habitation doors, looking at a Pilote.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Jands Where are you planning to stay, how much is your mh & contents worth?

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Still looking under 2 years to making the final decision, retirement.
Not good at changing vehicles and hope it will be a once only purchase.
So looking at the moment at a new Pilote P740C
Total spend expect to be around £70000.
Not carrying anything too valuable just normal living things with cycles and motorcycle.
Aim to vary travel on shortish trips in UK to longer trips in Europe.
Hope to go throughout most of Europe
Staying in campsites also aires and bit of sensible wilding as needed.
Want to feel safe and secure without feeling like fort Knox.
Getting alarm and will talk to vanbitz closer to the time
But rather bad people can't open doors and activate the alarm rather than the doors being forced before the alarm goes off.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd rather keep my van looking shabby and unlikely to contain anything of value. If you cover it in overt security, it may encourage someone to be curious about what you have to protect. It's unlikely that you'll be burgled but, if you're worried about it, that's what insurance is for.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dead locks on driver and habitation doors but that's on an A class as the locks fitted by Hymer aren't that strong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back