how much gas (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
hi all we are going to france/germany for 4/5 weeks shortly and was wondering if 2x6kgs gas cylinders will last or would it be better with 1x6 and 1x13kgs bearing in mind our weight is tight and we will be mainly stopping on aires etc any info much appreciated ::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
hi all we are going to france/germany for 4/5 weeks shortly and was wondering if 2x6kgs gas cylinders will last or would it be better with 1x6 and 1x13kgs bearing in mind our weight is tight and we will be mainly stopping on aires etc any info much appreciated ::bigsmile:

Hi
If weight is tight, why not take one 6 kg and get a French bottle and regulater, over there, you only have to change the gas pipe from one to the other, that's what we did , not by design but because we ran out over there, so will take it with us next time and just use French gas, cheaper too:Smile:
Hth

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Robbie. In my humble opinion, you should be ok. We had 2 full 6kgs on 24 May and the first one ran out yesterday. The next one will easily last us until we return on 21 June, and beyond in fact. Obviously, we don't do big stews, unless we are on an aire and use the slow cooker which is electric, but we have fries, salads, baguettes, soup and, in fact, whatever we like. Just go for it. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
All depends on the weather. If its hot we live on salads and the B.B.Q. If its not we tend to use cooker more. BUSBY:Smile:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have 2 x 11kg bottles and they average out about 3 weeks each so I can get by for 6 weeks, although it all depends on what size fridge you have as well, I have a big fridge and big freezer compartment as well so it eats more gas than normal fridge????? so you have to bear in mind this. I have no heating on gas at all, only the gas rings, oven, water heater, and fridge, and I have just got by on 22 days wild camping no ehu, so fridge running all the time on gas except when driving, and have done just over 2000mls in three weeks, and normal cooking every night, and i put into 1 of the 11kg bottles 19.78ltrs (holds 21ltrs 11kg) on the 22nd day out, so I would imagine that you would be just about ok with your present set up as I don't think you will be using any heating. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Similar thread here: Broken Link Removed

I think you should allow half a kilo per day, but you need to consider, what are you going to do if you run out? :Doh:

OP
OP
robiebee
Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
thanks to all who replied about my query ref gas i think ill chance it with 2x6kgs if we run out ill have to buy a french or german cylinder hey ho :cry::cry:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
probably better to take the one 11kg then if you do run out you wont have to store the empty english cylinder as youll have room for a french one
we just did 24 days abroad and used around 11kg we did cook a fair bit and were on hook up about half the time but it was cold and we used heater a few nights hopefully it will be warmer for you

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Not sure how old you Autotrail is but if you have a fixed gas regulator, in lieu of a bottle mounted one, you don't want to buy a continental bottle with a regulator because it won't work very well.

One way of using a foreign bottle, with dedicated regulator, is to have a tee off fitted in the pipework after your fixed regulator so you can bypass it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As it is summer the heating will not be used hardly at all.. Heating the water.. well if its just to do the washing up or have a wash your self boil a kettle.. not point in heating 10 litres of water when a couple will do nicely..

We used to carry 2 x 6k bottles and stay away for 6 to 8 weeks.. Now we just have the one 11k bottle and still have not come close to running out in our summer jaunts .. ( different matter when we do winter ones cos of the heating ! )

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get a pigtail to 21.8lh gas thread then get a french bottle as soon as you arrive . just use the one uk bottle as a spare if the french one runs out . but exchange it as soon as you can. thety sell all sorts of adaptors to allow their bottles if you are stuck . possibly cheaper than here.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi ,I only have room for 2 x 6kg in the van gas locker, so i take a camping gaz 907 (available over there) which I use for the barbeque and we try to cook as much as poss on it, leaving main gas bottles for fridge and water heating / boiling kettle. Works for me.
It also depends on how many times you are at campsites or aires on ehu. We mostly use aires and only the odd campsite for ehu and showers.
Terry:sin:

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
QUOTE=vwalan;789257]get a pigtail to 21.8lh gas thread then get a french bottle as soon as you arrive . just use the one uk bottle as a spare if the french one runs out . but exchange it as soon as you can. thety sell all sorts of adaptors to allow their bottles if you are stuck . possibly cheaper than here.[/QUOTE]

help please Alan! We are in France now and our propane shortly going to run out.

We don't have any adaptors or pigtails I don't speak French how do you find out which one you need , they sold alongside the bottles inthe service stations or do you have to find a regulator in supermarkets like leclerc or places like that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back