Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Just been to get a price on michelin agillis camper tyres 225 75 16.with a good local tyre depot where a fellow biker and mate is sales manager.i need all 6 really as they are 10 years old.mates rate one tyre fitted including balance (putting on my best darts commentator voice) £180
Er um er I will have to think about it....what's 180 x6 erm erm too much.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try hi q tyres possibly truro for you .
i use hi q in staustell .
mine uses 215x75 ,16 116/114 .
had 6 fitted awhile ago at 75 quid each . and balanced . gt maxmiler . very good grip and seem to be wearing well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Ouch, my personal opinion on these "camper tyres" is that they're a bit of a con. Normal commercial tyres are designed to take horrendous abuse & you only need to watch the average white van man to see exactly what I mean. White van man thinks that doing 80mph on the same tyres that he/she bounces over kerbs with is normal.

One word of caution, if we owned a motorhome that was only out a few times a year & lived on some godforsaken storage yard then yes we might buy camper tyres, but we don't do that, we've been away twice for long distance runs (over 400 miles each way) during the worst of the winter weather & plenty of wild camping nights too. Our motorhome lives on our drive therefor we can take it for a drive or move it to stop the tyres suffering from the kind of damage which occurs when you park up for months at a time.
Just weigh up how you treat your motorhome then buy tyres accordingly, you might just save yourself an awful lot of money, it just might be cheaper to buy a set of tyres that don't last as long but you could afford to buy two sets for the price of one set of premium tyres. These tyres rarely ever wear out due to mileage, they usually have to be changed due to age, or they perish & begin to show signs of cracking. It'd break my heart to take off & throw away a set of tyres that'd cost me over £1k & looked perfect.
So to sum things up, its your personal choice when you spend your money on tyres but please, please think about it before you settle.

PS; I was a tyre fitter many years ago but I still know my way around the tyre market & I still fit my own tyres.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We got round and black ones for £75 each.
I think they are General whatever's with better payload then the agiliss and in my opinion a much better ride. I think there life span will be up before the tread runs out :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We .. along with others .. use conti four seasons 2.. a quick check shows them at f1 ..
Screenshot_2017-04-21-14-01-27.png

Not a bad price at all..

We have the 121/120 and they are £152.60

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No help at all... and gloating is so disgraceful but...

I had all six tyres replaced on my Hymer 660S last year with new valves, fitting and balancing included, for €55 each.

If I remember they were Kanga tyres.

Seem fine to me but then...

I am not a brumm brumm, Top Gear watching, speedster. ;)

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Hi Ambulance kid.thanks for the advice.the tyres on the motorhome are 10 years old and on the tag axle they still have 7mm of tread.previous owner didn't go far.mine lives in a garage and gets 2 trips to Spain a year and lots of local runs so I'm happy to go van tyres.thanks .

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Ambulance kid.thanks for the advice.the tyres on the motorhome are 10 years old and on the tag axle they still have 7mm of tread.previous owner didn't go far.mine lives in a garage and gets 2 trips to Spain a year and lots of local runs so I'm happy to go van tyres.thanks .
and your old tyres will get sold on as part worn for £25 each fitted.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

The then jobs a good un mate, use the money you save for ferry fee's or a wee local break. (y)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No help at all... and gloating is so disgraceful but...

I had all six tyres replaced on my Hymer 660S last year with new valves, fitting and balancing included, for €55 each.

If I remember they were Kanga tyres.

Seem fine to me but then...

I am not a brumm brumm, Top Gear watching, speedster. ;)

JJ :cool:
Would be a great help to know what size your tyres are Borr and what weight your Hymer. (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ouch, my personal opinion on these "camper tyres" is that they're a bit of a con. Normal commercial tyres are designed to take horrendous abuse & you only need to watch the average white van man to see exactly what I mean. White van man thinks that doing 80mph on the same tyres that he/she bounces over kerbs with is normal.

One word of caution, if we owned a motorhome that was only out a few times a year & lived on some godforsaken storage yard then yes we might buy camper tyres, but we don't do that, we've been away twice for long distance runs (over 400 miles each way) during the worst of the winter weather & plenty of wild camping nights too. Our motorhome lives on our drive therefor we can take it for a drive or move it to stop the tyres suffering from the kind of damage which occurs when you park up for months at a time.
Just weigh up how you treat your motorhome then buy tyres accordingly, you might just save yourself an awful lot of money, it just might be cheaper to buy a set of tyres that don't last as long but you could afford to buy two sets for the price of one set of premium tyres. These tyres rarely ever wear out due to mileage, they usually have to be changed due to age, or they perish & begin to show signs of cracking. It'd break my heart to take off & throw away a set of tyres that'd cost me over £1k & looked perfect.
So to sum things up, its your personal choice when you spend your money on tyres but please, please think about it before you settle.

PS; I was a tyre fitter many years ago but I still know my way around the tyre market & I still fit my own tyres.
I tried van tyres once all I could get. I didn't keep them long as they were shaking my fillings out such a harsh ride....:eek:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had van tyres on our last motorhome barums from national tyre they were fine and a bargain ordered on their e-bay shop fitted at the local depot. Think they were about £60 each

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
who's yer mate The Sheriff Of Nottingham:Eeek:
Should stuck with Robin Hood:doh:
not Robin B******d:rofl:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Camper tyres, as I understand it, are designed for a vehicle running with the tyres close to their maximum rating, which is why White Van Man doesn't need them. A typical delivery truck is usually well below MGW.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
One word about you.... "anything will do folk"... i.e not camper tyres....
Have a mishap... ring your insurance co.. and await the Assessor ... who will measure tread depth and record tyre type and condition....

They got us over the preverbial barrel my friends... ;)

Be careful out there... (y)

Unless you are prepared to argue your point with "white curly wig man"...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been to get a price on michelin agillis camper tyres 225 75 16.with a good local tyre depot where a fellow biker and mate is sales manager.i need all 6 really as they are 10 years old.mates rate one tyre fitted including balance (putting on my best darts commentator voice) £180
Er um er I will have to think about it....what's 180 x6 erm erm too much.
Just bought one of them from Black Circle tyres, delivered to a local tyre fitter, price includes fitting & balancing £153.31 but they only include a rubber valve I took a SS one with me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Provided the tyre is the correct size and rating for the max axle load.. make is down to personal choice..

Commercial van tyres are designed to be thrashed up and down the M way all day, and generally abused by those who are not paying for them.

I have Falken Linam R51 215/75 R16C 113/111R

Falken
Falken Tyres are best known for their Ultra High Performance radials, design and affordability. The tyres are made with the latest Japanese technology.

Linam R51
The Falken R51 is designed for commercial light trucks with excellent wear resistance and durability. The R51 also offers excellent wet weather performance.

Fitted by Hymer dealer.. about £80 fitted..

No one has ever convinced me I need to have Camper tyres fitted at double the price.

http://www2.eiretyres.com/cgi-bin/r...72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-178106&active_tab=1

Last edited:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Have a mishap... ring your insurance co.. and await the Assessor ... who will measure tread depth and record tyre type and condition....

I always thought that the tread, condition and load rating was all that matters. Like mine the tyre load rating far exceeds the rear axle weight.
Also camper tyres are made more to suit the alleged time that they might be stood in one position and maybe also the suns uv rays.
And on that point, if you live in Blighty, your hardly gona be needing the factor 50 for them are you :) :)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger

Have you got firm evidence to support this. If so can we see it.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I take it you've never lived down south then? It's always sunny down here:D
Especially our disposition:LOL:

Gods own county my friend.
Flat at's and whippets is what we have :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I would never subscribe to "anything will do" but as long as they are correct size as well as speed and load rating and otherwise legal I can't see the insurance insisting on "camper" tyres.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back