How much for a light bulb? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Very clever, my car has just told me exactly which light bulb has failed on a flashy display. I was passing Halfords, so popped in for an immediate replacement. They wanted £17, plus £8 to fit it (I thought fitting was part of the service – must pay more attention to adverts next time) so I only took the bulb.

Fitting was not as easy as I had assumed, mainly due to lack of space.

Job done, I go on the web and see I can get ten of the things for less than 90p each, delivered!

I’d like to think my £17 one was better quality?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Probably:xblink: I've found from experience that cheap bulbs are usually a waste of time, very dim and don't last long, on the other hand you could have probably found the same bulb a lot cheaper on the net:xThumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I do wish they would hurry up with a good reliable led headlight bulb though:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Did read on a forum only the other day claiming that Ring and Halfords branded bulbs are the same.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
recently a headlight lamp failed on my 4x4 so bought a pair of replacements online for about £10. but try as i might, i could not get to the bulbs to release them. the local garage charge £70 per hour plus vat
so i popped into the local halfords. ge and bosch bulbs are currently buy one get one free. i chose an uprated version to standard and paid for fitting. an hour later after much cursing between 3 fitters and the job was complete. £32 all in, fitted was a bargain

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When I asked my garage to change a bulb I was charged half an hour's labour - their minimum charge.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have not actually checked for accuracy but I read something about later VW golfs needing the front bumper assembly removed to fit a bulb and a 5 hour job!!
I do know from experience that fitting a complete headlight assembly to a Renault Meganne needed the bumper removed.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I had to replace a headlight bulb on my car earlier this year. I was most disgruntled: the darn thing had only lasted twenty years. Shabby.
:xlaugh:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I had a bulb go out on a trip in Germany. Stopped at the next services to buy one.
It was an H4 bulb on sale at €6+ - not so bad?
On the way to the till I passed this set at €4+

I did point it out the guy on the till who just shook his head.

61CoW0BzijL._SL1000_.jpg

I would invest in this kit on Amazon Amazon product ASIN B007BE4XQU

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When the head lamp on my sons BMW failed it was over a £100 just to buy the bulb :(

But it was not the bulb it was the driver for it - That was around £250 - :cry:

Very expensive (n)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Reading these replies! The costs!

I'm off to buy a Morrie!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I had a bulb go out on a trip in Germany. Stopped at the next services to buy one.
It was an H4 bulb on sale at €6+ - not so bad?
On the way to the till I passed this set at €4+

I did point it out the guy on the till who just shook his head.

View attachment 137565

I would invest in this kit on Amazon Amazon product ASIN B007BE4XQU

Yip that's the kit i bought to keep in the MH for when we go to europe.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And would you attempt to change any Moho headlight bulb?
Yup.. Most are a darn sight easier than the average car !
Changed one on the Miller ( pre face lift Ducato ) whilst Woman made a cuppa.. I had time to get in the way to wash my hands after doing the job too!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless you know what you're doing and are very careful i would leave fitting HID headlamps to the professionals.
they use 18000 volts via the ballast to ignite the gas and even if the bulb has blown the ballast driver, and the bulb holder, still retains the 18000 volts for some time afterwards.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Yup.. Most are a darn sight easier than the average car !
Changed one on the Miller ( pre face lift Ducato ) whilst Woman made a cuppa.. I had time to get in the way to wash my hands after doing the job too![/QUOT

I wouldn't call over 2 hours of removing body parts(sounds like something Frankenstein might do:eek:) just to swap over a broken filament, 'a darn sight easier than the average car Boo Boo.' 'You'd better be quick Yogi, here comes the Ranger.':swear2: Oh, and old skin on old knuckles takes a lot longer to self repair afterwards.:crying:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
unless you know what you're doing and are very careful i would leave fitting HID headlamps to the professionals.
they use 18000 volts via the ballast to ignite the gas and even if the bulb has blown the ballast driver, and the bulb holder, still retains the 18000 volts for some time afterwards.
The ones I used to sell and still fit are rated at 21,000v ! At that voltage you start getting X-rays emitted too ...
An HID ballast can stay charged for a lot longer than folk think as you say PJ.. Over an hour in a lot of cases

I wouldn't call over 2 hours of removing body parts(sounds like something Frankenstein might do:eek:) just to swap over a broken filament, 'a darn sight easier than the average car Boo Boo.' 'You'd better be quick Yogi, here comes the Ranger.':swear2: Oh, and old skin on old knuckles takes a lot longer to self repair afterwards.:crying:
You wanna get your self a proper van then ! LOL !!!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
just referring to my own John.

still enough to make you jump though...maybe into a box and a six foot hole.

Would definitely give you a deep burn and all the problems associated with them

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!

Hah ha.. I like it. Its less than a year old, got more candle power in the bog than an ugly- sorry-pre facelift ducato. Instructions from miller are; blow out candle, remove stump. fix new candle. re-light candle. don't forget to feed monkey!:cartoon:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !!
Yer right.. So you have a pair of completely illegal 65 watt ( ( = about a 150w incandescent per side ) HID 4000k HID's fitted then ? Thats what I ended up fitting in the old Miller..
The new van I have pulled back a bit and gone legal and have a pair of 35w HID's to go in .. As soon as a headlight pops I shall fit them.. Mind you, just looking.. changing the bulbs in the X250 is even easier ( but of course I am gonna have to mount the ballasts somewhere too when I swap them out )

Soooo...I stand on.. You need to get a proper van me old mucker.. One that was not designed by the monkey you mentioned ! :xrofl:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Replaced all my headlight bulbs on the disco. Very easy
1. remove grill
2. remove complete lights unit
3. on the bench remove waterproof caps
4. remove bulb and replace with new one.
5. reassemble front of vehicle.
All done without tools, just catches, though long nose pliers useful to get the bulb in and out especially main beam unless you have very thin fingers.

I will get the garage to change the MH ones though as you need double jointed wrists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back