How much do Insurance claims REALLY cost (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And no it wasn't me , Im a woman I don't have these mishaps :LOL:

MOTORHOME A (reverses into MOTORHOME B ...by accident of course . As MOTORHOME B is a brand spanking 4 wk oldMH the MOTORHOME A lets it go through insurance. All is well so it seems.
We are all friends, chit chat daily etc(Might give you a clue) As insurance at renewal always asks about claims, how much was paid out etc MOTORHOME A asked his insurance company 4 times as to the amount settled claim was on repair of @MOTORHOME B.

Now finally here are the results. Note THE BOLD back from Motorhome A insurer

720 LAB
105 Body shop mat
5 EPA..whatever that is
805 Pillar...Which was the main damage
254.54 rear light
27.80 End caps
127 reverse light
37.50 adhesives
17.50 fasteners etc
48.50 IDL tape

Total £2706

MOTORHOME B asks on pick up for old lights..Was told, weren't needed to replace, just replaced end caps..

Clearly an error somewhere. Just lucky i'm not near the Nth of England or I would be demanding answers to why this amount as is..And further info...The reversing light thats been charged for isn't even on the side that was hit.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
i will be asking (y).. but no great surprise...
most garages seem to take insurance work as an easy way to inflate prices....
I've heard of cling film been used to make the vehicle metalwork look worse than it actually was in photographs to inflate the claim...
and A's insurance most probably just pleased to be able to settle the claim directly rather than involve the other parties insurance, so unless its stupid money they are saving and not that bothered..
andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
And no it wasn't me , Im a woman I don't have these mishaps :LOL:
can't find the thread , but i do recall reports of a new auto trail hitting a car on route to chester,,
and there was a drivers mirror that got a smack up by loch tay...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
but of course that wasn't you , WAS IT:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
can't find the thread , but i do recall reports of a new auto trail hitting a car on route to chester,,
and there was a drivers mirror that got a smack up by loch tay...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
but of course that wasn't you , WAS IT:)
Are you stupid or what:LOL:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Years ago, wifey bust the back bumper (plastic) on our 440 Volvo. Took it to the local main dealer's body shop for a quote which was around a couple of hundred quid, so we said ok.
Got the repair done, itemised bill arrived at almost twice the cost. Charged labour for rubbing down, primering etc etc on the replacement bumper. Spoke to a neighbour who worked for a different body shop and he said it sounded iffy so he phoned their parts dept from work the next day to 'enquire' about the paint code for a 440 rear bumper. "We get them in ready sprayed" was the reply. :mad:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Seems strange that you're asked if a repair is on insurance, or not, when you ask for a quote. Should there be any difference?

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Always the same, damage repair through insurance £100 same damage repair paid for by owner with cash or credit card £50 :restmycase:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We should be concerned if insurance companies are being ripped off. It's us, the punters, who pay for it in the end and that's after they've included their overheads.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We should be concerned if insurance companies are being ripped off. It's us, the punters, who pay for it in the end and that's after they've included their overheads.

Don't you think that is the world we live in. Too few bodies doing the work, minimum wage bodies, why should they care, who cares it all gets paid by the punter.

The other way, someone with moderate workload, decent wage, work ethic, sort out this bill ( and thousands of others ) will cost £££££.

Same in Tesco, just add on 10% for "wastage" and a low spend on security.

I once was involved with a stock check system for Woolworths because the "wastage" at one of their main hubs was getting so high it was becoming embarrassing. If they found a thief it was difficult to fire them because they could not get the staff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back