How much data will a Euro 2020 match drain from my EE MiFi ? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm hoping to watch the England vs Germany match tomorrow live on BBC iPlayer hooked up to my laptop whilst on a site. About 90 mins.
1. I have never used iPlayer or a MiFi before, ever.
2. I think the data SIM is 24GB (I think it cost about £40 but can't remember exactly.
3. I don't even know if BBC TV progs can be viewed live on iPlayer.

Am I way off understanding what the technology can do?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I watched one of the first games tethering the Laptop from my phone and that day I used 3.7 gigabytes.(amended)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If I watch a match on the pc whilst up at our static using an EE mifi it takes about 2gb. To 2.5gb.
That’s on bt or sky, guessing iplayer will be the same.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I'm hoping to watch the England vs Germany match tomorrow live on BBC iPlayer hooked up to my laptop whilst on a site. About 90 mins.
1. I have never used iPlayer or a MiFi before, ever.
2. I think the data SIM is 24GB (I think it cost about £40 but can't remember exactly.
3. I don't even know if BBC TV progs can be viewed live on iPlayer.

Am I way off understanding what the technology can do?
You need to be signed up to BBC iplayer, it’s free but worth noting your sign up name (usually email address) and your password. Once set up you can watch live programming or catch up programmes.
Have you set up the bbc iplayer app ready to go?
Have you linked up the mifi to wifi setting on your laptop already as well. If not then game likely to be over before all the dots joined up :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
You need to be signed up to BBC iplayer, it’s free but worth noting your sign up name (usually email address) and your password. Once set up you can watch live programming or catch up programmes.
Have you set up the bbc iplayer app ready to go?
Thanks.
Yep, I've signed up to iPlayer with my email address and a password.
Have you linked up the mifi to wifi setting on your laptop already as well. If not then game likely to be over before all the dots joined up :ROFLMAO:
My son used the EE MiFi with his laptop and said that I just need to switch the MiFi on and then click on my 'Internet access' icon (I know how to do that) and choose the EE MiFi.
At home on my BT router I get about 7 WiFi options (platforms?) when I click on 'Internet access' (Windows 10), presumably the list includes my neighbours' and others' WiFi.
I've never bothered with TV before in the m/h and probably won't again once the Euros are over.

DBop

Free Member
Dec 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As a rough guide, 1GB of data would let you do one of the following: Watch one hour and 20 minutes of video at Standard Definition. Stream roughly eight hours of high quality music- I reckon you should be sound for watching the game.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks.
Yep, I've signed up to iPlayer with my email address and a password.

My son used the EE MiFi with his laptop and said that I just need to switch the MiFi on and then click on my 'Internet access' icon (I know how to do that) and choose the EE MiFi.
At home on my BT router I get about 7 WiFi options (platforms?) when I click on 'Internet access' (Windows 10), presumably the list includes my neighbours' and others' WiFi.
I've never bothered with TV before in the m/h and probably won't again once the Euros are over.
Fingers crossed then! Do you have the password for the mifi?

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Good point, although you can then watch the match from the beginning.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Don’t know but I bet it runs out if it’s a penalty shootouts. Haha
Maybe I'm a bit odd but if a game goes to penalties I switch off beforehand. As far as I'm concerned the the game's a draw and the penalties are just a contrived way to get a result to satisfy the TV schedules, advertising and the tournament plan. I'd rather the match was replayed but that wouldn't suit the commercial interests.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Fingers crossed then! Do you have the password for the mifi?
Yep, my son has written it on a piece of paper in the EE box! It was quite a rigmarole setting it up entering i.d's, passwords etc.
I guess I should have a practice run before I go away tomorrow but I don't have the gift of patience with all that techno gobbledegook so I'll leave that challenge until I'm chilled under the awning with a G&T.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yep, my son has written it on a piece of paper in the EE box! It was quite a rigmarole setting it up entering i.d's, passwords etc.
I guess I should have a practice run before I go away tomorrow but I don't have the gift of patience with all that techno gobbledegook so I'll leave that challenge until I'm chilled under the awning with a G&T.
One of my first posts on here was a call for help with setting up my mifi unit. I was tearing my hair out. I think DBK came to my rescue!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
One of my first posts on here was a call for help with setting up my mifi unit. I was tearing my hair out. I think DBK came to my rescue!
Thanks all for the replies. One can read pages of instruction manuals in tiny print until the brain seizes but there's nothing as useful as specific guidance on a 'need to know' basis.
I'm sure that I'll manage and then wonder why I made such a fuss about it. :rollingeyes:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you use Firestick you can limit data by its quality settings, we have it at its lowest and use about 300mb 1/3rd of a gig per hour. I have to adjust the Netflix setting in its app, never checked iPlayer consumption, but hopefully its governed by the Firestick setting too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also depend on what you are watching on, it on a phone it will use far less data, my figures were for a tv.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back