East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Quick question (again)
To mount one solar panel with 4 plastic corners and 2 plastic sides
and 1 double gland entry point how many tubes of sikoflex/CT1 do you think I need?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Don't forget about the minimum thickness of Sikaflex. A couple of mm I believe. Use a spacer of some sort (matchstick?).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
or a tile spacer?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With plastic mounting make sure you use the correct Sikaflex at least one of them it not suitable for plastic,. A couple of people have had panels come off because they used the wrong one.

Any left over Sika seal the end of the tube with aluminium foil and screw the screw the nozel back on and it will keep for at least 6 months.

Feb 1, 2018
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Caravanning since 1987, Motorhoming since 2018
Sikaflex do a product that they call an 'Activator' for cleaning/degreasing the surfaces to get the best bond, but it is only Iso-Propyl Alcohol. Which is easy to get hold of.

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
And don't forget bonding is not the same as a sealant joint..i.e if you need to seal a shower tray to an upright panel...the more sealant you use the better (within reason) as the sealant will flex by a percentage of the thickness applied...eg 12mm bead of sealant will allow more movement than an 8mm bead if there is a 5% flex tolerance....5% of 12 is more than 5% of 8....possibly not applicable in this situation but worth remembering when using sealant....

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Sikaflex do a product that they call an 'Activator' for cleaning/degreasing the surfaces to get the best bond, but it is only Iso-Propyl Alcohol. Which is easy to get hold of.

It is solvent based but "containing a bond activating substance designed for the activation of surfaces prior to bonding and sealing with Sika® products."

For this reason you'll find people assembling aircraft tend to use the manufacturers recommended cleaner/primer rather than meths or acetone. Be like them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back