How much £ have I saved ? (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Used fun members advice for toll free route through France to Irun from Calais.
Been on route for 6 days and spent about 200 euro on diesel.
My question is has anyone done it with tolls over 3.5ton. I am 5.5 ton. What would it have cost in tolls for a heavy van ?
I presume the tolls saved has covered my diesel costs.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My question is has anyone done it with tolls over 3.5ton. I am 5.5 ton. What would it have cost in tolls for a heavy van ?
A free trip and a couple of quid in the bank as well.

Martin

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Along the Spanish coast cost me £39 for the bit I was on until I found the auto via which runs alongside is all new an as good as For nothing. I wishe I had done the whole length on the autovia and sod the autopista. I will use mostly the old roads back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Along the Spanish coast cost me £39 for the bit I was on until I found the auto via which runs alongside is all new an as good as For nothing. I wishe I had done the whole length on the autovia and sod the autopista. I will use mostly the old roads back.
That must be the A7 which runs alongside the AP7...Dont know why they didn't just take the tolls off the AP7...Would have saved building the A7,,,but i bet the EU funded it and it provided lots of jobs,,BUSBY,,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It’s not so much money saved as avoiding all of those roundabouts and speed bumps in France, get a toll tag and you’ll only be charged class two.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've just completed run down through France from Calais to Irun. All toll free except the last bit on A63 which cost us around €28 (Classe 2) and which I prefer to do 'cos the coastal road is a bloody nightmare!

As regards Spain it's usually quite easy to avoid the toll roads (AP) and quite often the standard (A) road is of motorway quality. That said tolls in Spain are much cheaper than France so I don't mind the occasional one to save time if needed.

Currently on the aire at Zumaia, on the road from San Sebastion to Bilbao; just marked parking on an industrial estate by the river but okay for a nightstop and there's water available although I can't find the supposed dump point. Heading south tomorrow.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi TerryL
We just did that coast road today after leaving the A63 junction 12 through Dax.Lucky it was a Sunday.
Now at San Sebastion Aire for 3:30Euro .Forty minute walk in to a very nice town.
Off south tomorrow to Tudela aire using A15 & 121 .Good weather report,no.snow.
What class am I at 5500kg ?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Can i ask which route did you take and where did you stop? As planning a similar route ourselves this year.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
We've just completed run down through France from Calais to Irun. All toll free except the last bit on A63 which cost us around €28 (Classe 2) and which I prefer to do 'cos the coastal road is a bloody nightmare!

As regards Spain it's usually quite easy to avoid the toll roads (AP) and quite often the standard (A) road is of motorway quality. That said tolls in Spain are much cheaper than France so I don't mind the occasional one to save time if needed.

Currently on the aire at Zumaia, on the road from San Sebastion to Bilbao; just marked parking on an industrial estate by the river but okay for a nightstop and there's water available although I can't find the supposed dump point. Heading south tomorrow.
Hi the dump is by the tap under the steel plate on the floor

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Here we go this page enter journey details then vehicle car - car+wobble box - heavy vehicle with 2/3/4/5 axles and bingo .... your toll costs. Car with caravan = motorhome under 3.5T and lower than 3 Metres
Vehicle classifications http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

Toll calculations http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/routes.htm
Over €200 one way to Spain:mad: can't see me using much of that.

EDIT or over €300 with a three axle if they clocked you correct all the way, thats a free ferry crossing when the add the return.

Martin
(from Yorkshire)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You are expensive class 4 if you are over 3.5t or over 3m high or have more than 2 axles. But I know of no toll both in France that actually weighs you as you go through. They mostly have a height gauge to check - anything over 3m or so and it is category 4, although you can sometimes argue if you have a sat dome or something on it. The only other way they can check easily is to count the axles, 2 and you are OK, anymore and you are considered class 4.

So if you are less than 3m high you will probably get away with it. I am 4.5t but only 2.8m high and have only ever paid class 2.

Deleted User
You are expensive class 4 if you are over 3.5t or over 3m high or have more than 2 axles. But I know of no toll both in France that actually weighs you as you go through. They mostly have a height gauge to check - anything over 3m or so and it is category 4, although you can sometimes argue if you have a sat dome or something on it. The only other way they can check easily is to count the axles, 2 and you are OK, anymore and you are considered class 4.

So if you are less than 3m high you will probably get away with it. I am 4.5t but only 2.8m high and have only ever paid class 2.

Not quite, Class 3 unless more than 2 axles

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I know of no toll both in France that actually weighs you as you go through. They mostly have a height gauge to check So if you are less than 3m high you will probably get away with it.
This is probably true for you foreigners, we Frenchies it goes on our reg number scanned on approach. I believe that the French systems are being continually updated with info of regular traffic so you may well win today but maybe not tomorrow, make hay whilst the sun shines..

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
We are currently sitting in Valencia Camper Park, having come from Calais down the Western route through Pamplona, Zaragoza via the A23 to Valencia. Have taken the necessary tolls i.e. Boulogne Le Mans around Tours, then the A63 ones, then the ones around and through Pamplona ( heavy snow, you would not want to be on the back roads!). This has totalled less than 90 Euros. We are 5.25 tonne, twin axle and 2.89 mts high and have been charged class 2 all the way.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi TerryL

Off south tomorrow to Tudela aire using A15 & 121 .Good weather report,no.snow.
What class am I at 5500kg ?

Hey @mojo I think that's where we are now, it's actually in Cascante, near the sports centre. Swift Bolero with moustache on front and Morocco painting on back.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We are currently sitting in Valencia Camper Park, having come from Calais down the Western route through Pamplona, Zaragoza via the A23 to Valencia.

Heading that way tomorrow looking for a few days stop. Is it any good, plenty of room?

Apologies for hijacking the thread :whistle:

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Calais to Alicante return using tolls all the way last year cost approx. £500. A little steep but as we where only away 6 weeks and we had to get a move on as we where meeting people in Spain.
Doing similar later in this year without the need to be in any place , doing what we want to do , so I'm going to have a go at toll free.
£500 of tolls could be spent on the actual holiday , it may increase driving times and little more in diesel but without the need to actually be anywhere for other people gives us this freedom.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi TerryL
We must be neighbours.Arrived at Cascante today.Hymer Starline.Say hello after breakfast before you go !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi TerryL
We must be neighbours.Arrived at Cascante today.Hymer Starline.Say hello after breakfast before you go !

Yep, next door. You were away before we got up! Never mind see you somewhere else!

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yeh,shame but we had some miles to cover today to get to Tortosa aire.Left about 9.30 and arrived at 4pm,did not want to knock with the blinds down.
Small world ,happy travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back