3319jane

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
... different motorhomes did it take to get the 'perfect' one?

We bought our first in July and are already yearning after a bigger one with this and that.

So, are you happy with your choice or craving something different??

Jx

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We bought ours in November after years of wanting one and looking at various ones. Oddly we had this conversation last night and are both sure we did get it right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Three !!

Always been happy with my choice of van, but changed them as my/our needs changed, rather than making a poor choice at the time.
1st van was ideal for our family,
2nd van was ideal for a couple when kids stopped coming away with us,
3rd van hopefully will be ideal for me and my dog :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
T depends on what you want at the time. We've had different layouts at different times due to our way of holidaying, our last 5 have all been fixed bed ones as we like 2 areas and the storage it gives but in the future who knows!!!

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We bought little Wally on a whim as complete newbies with no research. The seller must have thought all his xmases had come at once. He had character but way too cramped and as for making up the bed every night :confused:

We then bought Harvey when we went to buy a small item in a caravan accessory shop! Lost a fortune on part-ex but love the layout and space. Now we're free to travel year round we'd like a fully winterised MH but not enough to change it...........yet (y)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Took over 12 months researching had it since June 2016 and so far love it and happy made right choice, we opted for a fixed rear, large lounge with swivel captains chairs,sep shower and sep toilet and work a treat, watching tv with kids can be a pain sometimes however we gonna get a large cushion made up for extra comfort which will sort that issue out.

Last edited:

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
First one may be our forever one! Had caravan- talked loads about getting m home- impulse exchange for 2006 Hymer..... Van fully winterised 6 seat belts so g kids safe on trips-easy bed from table area and drop down over cab THE most comfy ... have had her 7 years can't see anything compatible to change her with. We were v lucky I think as when we bought it we didn't realise importance of winterisation/ belts to sleeping capacity. But now worried about new regs re diesel emissions - might have to put a new engine in ( not possible I fear)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Totally happy with our second MH, a 2007 Autosleeper Nuevo. However when we need to upgrade we will not have another Nuevo as they have totally spoilt the layout by replacing the transverse front storage shelf (which takes all our bedding) with a skylight which is not much use at all........

The Tincas

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We bought a PVC initially to see if we liked the lifestyle after tugging and tents (and hotels, cruises etc) and we were just passing Brownhills in Preston (gone now) and basically just window shopping and we saw the Exsis and fell in love. We call her The Tardis. Had it 10 years now and it's very distinctive being burgundy and grey. Upgraded a couple of things to our pleasure like leather upholstery, Gaslow system etc and been to dozens of dhows, seen 1000's of Mohos there and abroad and up to now, none float our boat like Exsis SK.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The classic VW suited us when the kids were growing up - low cost fun vehicle that could take all the knocks.

Our first 6 berth coachbuilt suited us for 11 years when we wanted more comfort and needed fixed bed space available in case our grown up kids came with us.

Our next one is based on what we as a couple soon entering our 60s will need - more space and comfort in the lounge area, and a few more accessories to make life easier. I'd be surprised if we get another MH after this one, unless one of us pops off and the other decides to carry on camping. If it's me that goes I hope she carries on.

All of them have suited our needs at the time, so in answer to the question, 1.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Bought our first one in 2006, after much research. I'd decided on:

LHD
Auto
Cab Air-con

We got:

1999 Hymer Starline 640 (Mercedes), Manual, No aircon, RHD !!!
It was /almost/ perfect. Nine years and travels in England, Scotland, Wales, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia

The reasons we changed, in 2015, to a 2009 Hymer B660 Bestline (Mercedes):

Euro rating (4) so we wouldn't be so restricted in low-emission zones.
Higher carrying capacity (5000kg vs 3500kg) - so we could comfortably carry both cycles and scooter. And Wine.
Garage / fixed bed - though we'd been more than happy with the drop-down in the old Hymer.

Have to say we're still getting used to it, but there are a few down-sides:

We found it sad that most new-ish motorhomes have abandoned the large picture windows we had on both sides of the 640. We don't get anywhere near as good a view as we used to.

We find the posh-looking leather settee too shallow (front to back) to sit comfortably for long periods (I may try to over-stuff the seat at the front to alleviate the problem?)

The fuel consumption is not as good, but in compensation, the engine is quieter, more powerful, and there is nowhere near as much smoke and stench from the exhaust.

Internal storage not as convenient as the 640.

The table doesn't have a lip around it.

Some of the trade-offs were obvious before we parted with cash, others only later, but...

Having looked long and hard, and having nearly ten years experience, we now know that the perfect motorhome does not exist, and even if money were no object we couldn't design one due to real-life getting in the way!

Advice?

Think about what compromises you can tolerate, and which you can't. Any problems after that you'll have to put down to experience!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are on our sixth motorhome now, with two caravans in the middle.

Two, including our present one, ticked all the boxes. One was too small, when we "downsized", and one was a bit basic. That was an old second hand one we bought to see if we wanted to return to motorhoming, before making the investment in our present unit.

We will not change this one because of lack of facilities or its layout, as it has everything we want, but may update it in a few years time.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Think about what compromises you can tolerate, and which you can't. Any problems after that you'll have to put down to experience!
But isn't everything in life a compromise per se?
Where you live might not just be exact as your job, your car, your anything. We all compromise on things. Basically, the advantage is you can look at 100's of Mohos and choose the one that ticks most or all of your boxes much the same as your dream house, dream car, dream holiday. Life is one big compromise to live as we would like.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The reasons we changed, in 2015, to a 2009 Hymer B660 Bestline (Mercedes):

Have to say we're still getting used to it, but there are a few down-sides:

We find the posh-looking leather settee too shallow (front to back) to sit comfortably for long periods (I may try to over-stuff the seat at the front to alleviate the problem?)
Try making some long bolsters/fillers to go at the back of the seat bases under the backrest to give you more depth rather than mess about with the front also adding a slight wedge piece behind the backrests (wider at the bottom) may make them more comfortable too
The table doesn't have a lip around it.
You could add a lip by sticking on a bit of trim on the edge of the table top, this sort of stuff should work:

Link Removed

Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-DIY-Ch...190415?hash=item5d5e5e338f:g:gvAAAOSwHnFV1Zoz

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We've had 5 Motorhomes in12 years and our last 3 have all been brand newall have been replaced at 1st mot time, and our present van an Auto Sleeper is ready for its first mot in March so who knows what will happen this time.

John.

OP
OP
3319jane

3319jane

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Interesting replies, thanks.

Had a look at some others today and fallen in love a bit but it's a huge leap - financially and size wise, so will have to have a long hard think about it...

Jx

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First one was the right one at the time had it for 6years but then decided really wanted an A Class, now at just over 2 years old changing again but only because we were offered such a stonking good deal we couldn't refuse. When offered in part ex almost what we paid for the van and a huge discount on a new one it was a no brainer.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello , we are on our 3rd MH since 2009 after hiring one we bought 2 second hand Italian vans keeping them 3 years each. Neither were winterised and as we like to use the van all year if possible we wanted better insulation. The first vans were Itslian and great spec but both ended up with water ingress . We like our 3rd van but Hubbie would go bigger where as I like the 6 metre length.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
1st van bought jointly, perfect at the time, worked well for 6 years, great for taking the grandchildren away lots of room and storage.
2nd, present. van, bought so we could take a motorbike, great for that, not so good for taking the grandchildren but that is only a few time a year and we have worked out how to accomodate all when away.
I am not so happy with this van, lounging is not so good for me, and it is not nearly so good for people watching ;-) Love the made up beds though. will do us for a while yet.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
2nd for us , first was a VW Danbury T2 , had the Bailey for four years now , very very happy with it , absolutely the right choice .
In three years we will change the van as in five years we will both be retired and plan to be on the road for eight months of the year.
Would like the same layout but bigger with more new toys !

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
First one. Did lots of research, wrote a list and didn't deviate from it and, as a result, I got the perfect motorhome for me. Might not be perfect for everyone, but it is for me:)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
This is our 3rd van. And we have it from new year 1990. It must be the right one .

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We looked around, hired a island bed motorhome, tuned the spec a bit and ended up with our first motorhome.
Four months and 2000 miles later, we are still as happy with the decision on spec, make and model as we were when we wrote the cheque.

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I'm hoping my new one (due in a few weeks) will be it for me cos i'm buying it new.

It'll be my second. My current is an adria twin 2005 (my first) and i'm getting a wildax Aurora fixed bed with added bells & whistles.

So it's pretty similar in layout to whst I have now - just a bit flashier with the additions that I wish the adria has/had.

X

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back