How many megapixels Do you need?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Go Humberto!, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,673
    I'm getting pixel overload I think I'll go and get my Minolta SRT101 out of the cupboard and see it I can find the enlarger in the loft.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Ratings:
    +667
    Could do worse Lenny:D Where do you get your FP4 these days?

Malcolm

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Ratings:
    +21,074
    I have an Olympus OM2 for sale. whats it worth?

4. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +29,611
    A quick Google suggests around £180 depending on condition and the lens with it. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +623
  6. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +3,070
    I bought a roll of HP5 to put through an 1950s Baldamatic 35mm camera I have, just for old time's sake.

It's a pain in the arse.

I'd forgotten what a pain it is to use film. I want to make every image count so I'm struggling to shoot 36 exposures of "meaningful" things so I don't waste money.
    In the back of my mind I know it's going to cost me time and money to have just 36 images developed and that they won't be any better than images from my digital camera.
    I expect it will cost me £20 in the end (film + developing) for 36 photos.

Nostalgia is most definitely rose-tinted (even when it's Black & White film).
    The bloody camera doesn't even shoot HD video !!!!!

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +7,511
    Many of us only view photos that we have taken on a screen these days, I very rarely print anything out.
    Unless you need to zoom in to a picture it can be very low res to display on the screen.
    Try this very ordinary picture:-
    Almond blossom.jpg

Probably not bad on screen but it has been reduced right down to 600x450 pixels/inch.
    Most of the stuff that I upload here or on my blog is the same size.
    It used to be more important when I had very slow broadband and pictures took an age to upload.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +3,070
    I resize most of my images to 1920x1080 for upload to the web.
    That's only 2 Megapixel but it fills any HD monitor or TV at its maximum resolution.

This is a 1920x1080 (2Mp) resized image. On my 46" HD TV is looks amazing but that's because you are supposed to view a 46" TV from across the room. It's another reason why megapixels aren't that important (once you have around 8Mp), it's because of optimal viewing distance.

Many Billboards are printed from less than 4 Megapixel images. Viewed from 3 feet they are a mess of blurred pixels but, at their optimum viewing distance, of over 20 metres, they look clear and sharp. It's why I'm not that concerned about moving to a 4K TV. 4K (and certainly 8K TV) is actually more detailed than reality.
    I don't notice the pores on people's skin in reality so why do I want to see them on a news-reader's face on a 50" screen?

1920x1080. If you can see the pixels on a HD screen then you're sitting too close..........
    20180629 IMG_2515 Honfleur 1920.jpg