How many are you? (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We "fell into" our MH after years of camping, trailer tent and caravan (plus both camping as children). We knew what we didn't want but realised at a local dealership that a rear lounge separated from the front seats by bathroom/kitchen etc was also something that we didn't like. We didn't think that at the ripe old age of 55ish (and with arthritis) we could cope with a drop-down bed but experimenting at the dealership proved that we could.

So for the last 14y (so we are now approaching 70) we have enjoyed a sub-6m, 3.5T Rapido Aclass. It has 4 berths, 4 travel seats and an excellent bathroom with spacious shower. Both front captain-seats rotate; the double dinette and the side-bench are a little too upright for lounging but manageable with cushions. However, despite having 3 grown-up children (with partners) and 6 grand-children, WE are the only people to sleep in it. Everyone else (plus my Dad [RIP] & Mil) has traveled in it as we used it for day-trips and also 200mile journeys to bring Dad here to Norfolk.

For a month on the Continent or touring UK it is ideal. When we meet up with relatives, who both have 7-8m vans with fixed beds, everyone gathers in ours as there is more usable social space.

Gordon

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We started of with a 4 berth PVC in 76, after various changes we have had a 6 berth 9.25 ton RV since 05, but are trying out a 2 berth PVC after it become obvious that the kids aren't coming with us anymore, and for myself it's nice, as the wife can share the driving once more so next year I expect we will sell the RV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Depends usually me on my own in the doblo, unless using it as a camper in which case it is always solo.
Usually 2 in the Laika, unless I want a showe and heating when away then may go solo, but may travel with 4 in the Laika and use the awning for the grandkids to sleep in. so depending on who is going age range is 6-70+ :LOL:

Deleted User
Recently changed from VW California to Hymer Grand Canyon S Mercedes. Four travel seats and additional poptop. Four of us including two kids 13/11.
6m van easy to drive and not overly wide, transfer rear bed for adults, extra body pods give enough length for sleeping. Kids often close the separation curtain and use as a cinema room, came in handy over half term with 3 days of torrential rainfall in the Lakes.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
We have 2 grandkids that have lived with us since they were born.

Ditto, but they're only eight. We also aspire to an A class in the future but at the moment have a six berth overcab with bunks at the back, which the grandkids love as 'their' space.

Our ideal would be one of those Itineo A Classes with a kids room and bunk beds at the back ...

Dec 19, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohican
Exp
18 years
We have a Mohican. There's just the 2 of us as it's only a 2 birth. I'm 61 and her's 39. We occasionally accommodate my cousin but only if we're in the UK.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
we are a family of five (six if you count the dog) one of our daughters is disabled and needs a wheelchair. I have fitted a hoist to get her in and special seat where she is strapped in. we also have Six belted seats including the drivers. gets a bit tight in rainy days buy with the awning out it is fine. Wheel chair fits in the Garage (it doesn't fold.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I'm a solo traveller and just switched from a 4 berth (over cab bed) and a rear u shaped lounge, gave up sleeping in the over cab bed as almost fell down the steps and got sick of making up th rear lounge into a bed. My new van is an Auto Trail Tracker 2 berth, throw a sleeping bag on one of the long bench seats and bed is made, so much more storage space and still room if my great nephew wants to come along 😁

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
Seen the new Bailey, two drop down beds! More for two but can take 4, not too much storage by the look of it though!

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
We retained our double seat and made it swivel, hence a three seater. However, due to a serious design fault on my part, it's very unlikely any of our grandchildren will want to come with us as I omitted to include a 5g aerial or Xbox in the specification! Bad grandad 😞

Hania

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2010
Good Evening Funsters.
Have been wondering about this for some time and having watched many threads on travel to foreign and UK destinations, I am curious about how many people are travelling per motorhome, and what the age range is?
I seem to think that the majority of posts are from either couples or singles, and of an age range possibly North of 50 plus years.
Are there many Funsters who regularly travel as more than 1 or 2 up, and as a family unit?
I ask because, Mrs Yoghurtpot and myself had envisaged using the Moho with our grandkids as well as on our own, but think that our needs for us and van choice are now possibly wrong, and we are looking at vans just for us, ie 2 berth with possible occasional 2 more.
Grandkids are limited in time with school, but we are looking at getting away whenever, and whilst we love the grandkids, we don't want to be tied to only using the van when they are available.
Should we be looking at vans just for us, and is the option of travelling with the grandkids a nice thought, but limiting in our own use.
Just curious.
we are two - and deliberately so ! when we got the (2 berth) van ppl said - oh - you will be able to take the grandkids on holiday ! No - why should we ? We have had 4 children and caravanned for 15 years . I am a keen photographer, and my husband likes a hike . i am happy to let my children borrow the van for a break, and we will look after the kids at home- but taking them on holiday - no !

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Good Evening Funsters.
Have been wondering about this for some time and having watched many threads on travel to foreign and UK destinations, I am curious about how many people are travelling per motorhome, and what the age range is?
I seem to think that the majority of posts are from either couples or singles, and of an age range possibly North of 50 plus years.
Are there many Funsters who regularly travel as more than 1 or 2 up, and as a family unit?
I ask because, Mrs Yoghurtpot and myself had envisaged using the Moho with our grandkids as well as on our own, but think that our needs for us and van choice are now possibly wrong, and we are looking at vans just for us, ie 2 berth with possible occasional 2 more.
Grandkids are limited in time with school, but we are looking at getting away whenever, and whilst we love the grandkids, we don't want to be tied to only using the van when they are available.
Should we be looking at vans just for us, and is the option of travelling with the grandkids a nice thought, but limiting in our own use.
Just curious.
My wife and I generally, both of 78 and still very fit. Our Moho can sleep and belt four people but we have never done that yet. We have carried passengers during the day, mind you. Our grandchildren are at the stage of being at Uni (2) college (2) and one still and infant and in Ghana (so a bit far for the motorhome trip!). Getting to the latter would be challenging to say the least and the roads are unreliable for many places around there in terms of the condition. Lovely place to visit and be with the people we worked with for three years

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Just 2 of us and occasional grandson.
Our wish list was a 2 berth with 3 or 4 traveling seats, roomy kitchen and even bigger fridge. Less than 6m. Not a lot to choose from. Best of bunch for us was a rapido 604, c class 6m long 4 berth 4 belts.
We use the lecky bed in the roof above the spacious lounge area/ bed.the lounge is extremely Well designed providing opposing benches either side of table or 2 travelling seats witha bit of rearrangement, and finally a jigsaw of a double bed. The bed can be used at different levels. The kitchen has enough space to allow someone to walk past into the toilet. Ps dont expect a spacious jacuzzi.

Feb 29, 2020
Worthing, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Hi. We bought our first MH when our kids were 7, 9 and 13 plus a border collie. We went away for each school holiday and 6 weeks in the summer, we did 6 weeks in France twice, Spain twice and in 2018 drove to Croatia as a family. Our kids had great time and are widely travelled around Europe, having been to more towns and cities than they can remember. Our youngest is now 16 and we’ll no doubt revert to holidays with just the two of us (they no longer want to come). They’ve had a fantastic time and had experiences they would otherwise never have had. Now we get to go to al the places we want!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There are 2 of; we have an A Class - 2 double beds; one over garage which we use plus the drop down, which has had very occasional use when our granddaughter came away with us but only ever for weekends never long holidays! Both late 60s.

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
Our lovely old Chausson is a two berth with a French bed at the back. But it does have seat belts for four which means my Mrs can bring one of her many girlfriends along, we just have to squeeze up a bit on the french bed with no touching or peeping. HONEST! ready for our next trip anytime now. 😁

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
We pondered the same long over this :unsure: our biggest obstacle( we found was inferior belts..found our hymer to suit us, 5 birth..( Was not looking for overcab..but when not used as the penthouse suite by one of the grandaughters:rolleyes:, great for storage, great to have the security of the interior seatbelts,dinnette becomes good sized double, also long 6 ft single ( bench/ bed) expands width wise, then very large over cab...making memories( when we can) for now it works,,yes island bed would be lovely..!

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I wanted the Hymer B584 but they wouldn’t give us a good p/x allowance on a 6 month old Dethleffs, still wish we had just bought it.
We are 2 & dog but bought 4 berth so we could take grandchildren in holidays, and have had a few trips out with them. Great fun but can be hard work setting up night time bed etc. Not sure if we can take them much longer as one of them is now getting to an age where it might not work.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Too all who have replied, I am extremely grateful for the ideas on vans and the way you travel, bet it solo, couples , or families.
It just goes to show how wrong I can be.
I honestly thought that the majority of members to the Funster network and who perhaps post ,were couples, and not families, and were possibly over , or in, retirement/ reduced working days.
This was based on a lot of posters mentioning stays in UK and Europe, over an extended period, including weekdays and not just weekends, or school holidays.
Have had some good ideas and advice on travel for when we either continue with family members or just the 2 of us, and I think that a possible van change may be on the cards In the future to meet OUR needs better.
Thanks again for replying.
I am enlightened.😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back