How long would you wait for a fitted kitchen to be fitted { or even started } (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have been without a functioning kitchen at our home for 5 months now.
Paid over 1K initial deposit.
Slop builder's bucket for the kitchen waste.
Washing machine hose passed out of the kitchen window to wash our clothes.
Wickes by the way.
We still haven't got a start date either.

How long would you wait before cancelling ?
If you can fit yourself or know someone who can I’d suggest cancelling and checking out DIY kitchens online.
They offer probably the lowest prices online and get good customer reviews too.
Their lead time is about 6 weeks I understand

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Companies I've worked for in the past had a 50% deposit on ordering, 30% on delivery, and the outstanding was usually the fitters payment.

Crap service from Wickes though, I agree

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We charged 10% deposit 80% on delivery And 10% when it was finished.
Last kitchen I fitted was for a young couple, wicks wanted £3000 to fit, I charged £1100 took me two weeks, only thing I had to supply was a few plumbing fittings.
You have two Mason mitres in between two walls that's harder to fit correctly and takes more time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
I sell kitchens,

8 weeks from order to fit.

Fitting time normally 2 weeks from start to finish, inc plastering elec, plumbing etc.

If a granite top a further week from templating.

We don't ask for full payment in advance, that's a new one on me.

Moral of the story keep with local independents who care about the customer

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'm trying to compare kitchens at the moment for a DIY install and there's a lot of love for DIY Kitchens Online, does anybody have a link to their website? I can only find DIYKitchens4U.co.uk & DIY Kitchens.com who are typically 3 x the price of the cheapest flat packs from Ikea (yeah I know but are they really 3 x worse?).

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
I'm trying to compare kitchens at the moment for a DIY install and there's a lot of love for DIY Kitchens Online, does anybody have a link to their website? I can only find DIYKitchens4U.co.uk & DIY Kitchens.com who are typically 3 x the price of the cheapest flat packs from Ikea (yeah I know but are they really 3 x worse?).
Not sure of the website but thoughts about Ikea

Their kitchens are not very good, we frequently are called in 3/4 years after an Ikea kitchen has been fitted to put in a decent one.

Their sizes are a bit odd, and there is no space at the back of the units for services ( I think that is still the case).

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

If you want a cost conscious kitchen I would recommend Howdens.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not sure of the website but thoughts about Ikea

Their kitchens are not very good, we frequently are called in 3/4 years after an Ikea kitchen has been fitted to put in a decent one.

Their sizes are a bit odd, and there is no space at the back of the units for services ( I think that is still the case).

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

If you want a cost conscious kitchen I would recommend Howdens.
I fitted an Ikea kitchen back in 2003 which I notice from Rightmove was still there in 2019 so mustn't be that bad. I struggle with Howdens as they only give a price to trade which just annoys me tbh. I've fitted ex-display German brands in my last 3 kitchens but these are getting very hard to source nowadays so just crunching some numbers on new units.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Usually within a week when I get a job, Howdens measure up within a couple of days, kitchen is ordered within a week for delivery and start date confirmed, nothing started till day before kitchen is delivered.

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
I fitted an Ikea kitchen back in 2003 which I notice from Rightmove was still there in 2019 so mustn't be that bad. I struggle with Howdens as they only give a price to trade which just annoys me tbh. I've fitted ex-display German brands in my last 3 kitchens but these are getting very hard to source nowadays so just crunching some numbers on new units.
The comment about Ikea kitchen is a general one.

There are always exceptions as you have highlighted. The use and abuse have a lot to answer for, as has the quality of the original fitting.

I was only commenting on my experience that we have only replaced Ikea kitchens prematurely, and wardrobes for that matter!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Campervan_man feel for you!
Think you have all the answers above.
I would not recommend DIY unless you consider yourself competent in the trades required. But if you have the skills go for it. I have fitted a few over the years and the biggest problems are having the right tools and getting the worktops right. Since u wont be doing the worktops then one less problem.
If u can find a recommed local to do the work for u good luck most that are any good are booked months in advance.
planner.diy-kitchens.com seems to have a good reputation and is good to get a price that all the others will price match. I was going to give them a try but went with local howdens since I have a trade account.
Every time I come out of wickes I feel like I have been ripped off.
Hope u get it sorted soon

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
This is from an earlier post.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We had a friend ( Great kitchen fitter) to do ours a few years back, gave him the keys to the house and went travelling around Europe for three months,
Headed back with the wife getting really excited to see her new kitchen,
Walked in the front door and she shriek out loud, I thought she was overwhelmed by being better than expected,
Kitchen was totally bare with just a tap on a standpipe by the window 😳
Boy did I get it in the neck, luckily we could cook in the motorhome so I didn’t starve 😁
She eventually got the kitchen of her dreams about three weeks later, But I had to run Interference between her and Chris otherwise he was going to walk off the job,

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Nice one (y) - not sure how I missed that :unsure:
Just did a quick price comparison between them and Wickes and they seem quite similar, but and its a big but, with Wickes you need colour matched end/filler panels unless your using white doors, or don't care that the side of the carcase that can be seen is white. Colour matched end/filler panels are a complete rip off and can easily add more than few hundred to the price.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you are doing a kitchen properly you need end, and filler panels.

Anybody can just screw boxes with doors to walls, but a decent fitted kitchen takes some skill, and requires the finishing touches and details. End panels, filler sections, pelmets, cornice, kick boards are all the finishing details of a job that show the difference between cheap DIY job, and a quality proper fitted kitchen.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If you are doing a kitchen properly you need end, and filler panels.

Anybody can just screw boxes with doors to walls, but a decent fitted kitchen takes some skill, and requires the finishing touches and details. End panels, filler sections, pelmets, cornice, kick boards are all the finishing details of a job that show the difference between cheap DIY job, and a quality proper fitted kitchen.
You don't need end panels if its a colour matched carcase.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I was due to have one fitted last March but due to Corvid he didn't come. I spoke to him in September and he apologised and said he had decided to retire so I took the old one out and fitted a new one myself. I admit its not as good as what he would have done as he has 40 years experience and I only 40 days but it kept me out of mischief during the winter months of lockdown and gave me a sense of purpose when my job was (still ) on hold due to nobody going on holiday or flying. Ive added a few pictures.
A2yYOHzVRiSDi2KZS7Vpuw.jpg
pKkhtJEgSsi2%yUf2NvRVA.jpg
62479434863__F48E5AF0-459A-4A56-9420-B8EF9DAA1EBD.JPG
aGntcxMQTO61z97hmBnvYw.jpg
aGntcxMQTO61z97hmBnvYw.jpg
F6vEF5E5SH6YPEDqdOlDxQ.jpg
KCtX2ATJSauhQ5pihgl7Ug.jpg
jWNtYNhLStiRkMPC2r9JPg.jpg
94D90559-E02E-4B89-88DC-20D4D83992EA.jpg

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
09/11/19: visited Wickes (Norwich). Saw kitchen & worktops which we liked and much better quality than Homebase.
11/11/19: on-site visit from Wickes.
14/11/19: planning meeting at Homebase for comparison. Also quote for "supply only" from Howdens.
15/11/19: in-store planning session (Wickes): agreed purchase & finance option via Hitachi [20% deposit, pay rest after 11 months with no interest OR over 4y inc interest]
19/11/19: home visit from kitchen fitter.
23/11/19: final in-store planning meeting to confirm points raised following fitter's visit.
2/12/19: kitchen fitter arrives to remove old kitchen. I renew floor tiles which had been fitted around old units.
7/12/19: 95% complete; kitchen fully working.
9/12/19: fitter returns to complete snagging including somewhat difficult fitment of dish-washer door.

This was for a galley-style kitchen with approx 4 units each side plus full-height oven unit plus 4 wall units, with compressed laminate worktop. Gas hob, oven, dishwasher were purchased separately but fitted by "Wickes".

Total cost: £4 200 + £2 658 fitting.
Additional electrical work £156

A good friend has taken 18months to do his kitchen using units from Homebase. Many items have had to be replaced as they were incomplete, had the wrong fitments etc. Once he started work it transpired some of the openings couldn't be achieved without complex hinges. Throughout much of this time his kitchen sink was a small handbasin in the adjoining toilet. His wife says "never again".

Gordon

Our fitter says compressed laminate is difficult to fit and he normally doesn't do kitchens with 90deg joints. CHECK!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Yes you do if you want a quality installed kitchen. It‘s what I do for a living. Having same colour doors and units doesn’t make them match as they are different finishes, as they are different materials. A classic DIY/student let/or cheap job has no decor end panels.
Well I designed them, made them and fitted them for 20 years from 1988-2008, always used colour matched carcases, in the few instances were a customer wanted a specific colour door as in one London client, who wanted them to match her orange teapot, I then made a carcase side and sent it off to be sprayed the same colour as in the photo below. Photo is from around 1992 ish.

Maybe times have changed, since I stopped making them, I have just done the occasional kitchen for friends and family since then designed and supplied by others.

Pendle Kit..jpg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
09/11/19: visited Wickes (Norwich). Saw kitchen & worktops which we liked and much better quality than Homebase.
11/11/19: on-site visit from Wickes.
14/11/19: planning meeting at Homebase for comparison. Also quote for "supply only" from Howdens.
15/11/19: in-store planning session (Wickes): agreed purchase & finance option via Hitachi [20% deposit, pay rest after 11 months with no interest OR over 4y inc interest]
19/11/19: home visit from kitchen fitter.
23/11/19: final in-store planning meeting to confirm points raised following fitter's visit.
2/12/19: kitchen fitter arrives to remove old kitchen. I renew floor tiles which had been fitted around old units.
7/12/19: 95% complete; kitchen fully working.
9/12/19: fitter returns to complete snagging including somewhat difficult fitment of dish-washer door.

This was for a galley-style kitchen with approx 4 units each side plus full-height oven unit plus 4 wall units, with compressed laminate worktop. Gas hob, oven, dishwasher were purchased separately but fitted by "Wickes".

Total cost: £4 200 + £2 658 fitting.
Additional electrical work £156

A good friend has taken 18months to do his kitchen using units from Homebase. Many items have had to be replaced as they were incomplete, had the wrong fitments etc. Once he started work it transpired some of the openings couldn't be achieved without complex hinges. Throughout much of this time his kitchen sink was a small handbasin in the adjoining toilet. His wife says "never again".

Gordon

Our fitter says compressed laminate is difficult to fit and he normally doesn't do kitchens with 90deg joints. CHECK!
That’s a lot of money for fitting!

I only paid that and had about 20 units an island and special oven housing plus 10 appliances.
Worktops were extra as had Quartz fitted.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
When i got mine from https://www.diy-kitchens.com/ they had a sale on think it was 20% off

Paid by credit card just in case anything was wrong with the kitchen or the company went bust. Think paying that way added 3% to total cost

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really feel for you.

But this thread really brings home the difficulties that single females/pensioners, etc., encounter when trying to get ANY job done. Contractors/builders/plumbers, etc just don't want to know when it comes to smaller jobs and they don't even bother phoning you back if promised.... they don't even tell you it's too small a job.. Just leave you hanging. :( and the call out fee is greater than the job in hand sometimes so they won' t quote. There should be some HELP organisation that could help. :(

Sorry for the rant. I think you have been more than patient.. Good luck. It looks beautiful in the sales photos. Hugs.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
That’s a lot of money for fitting!
I agree.
However, we got the kitchen that we wanted fitted excellently in a short period of time and ready for Xmas.

We set off to Scotland on 3rd Feb, West Country on 22nd Feb and in self-isolation from 3rd March.
IF we'd decided to wait and organise a cheaper option, we MIGHT have paid with our health. :crying1:

Gordon

(I started "doing" our main bathroom 7y ago. I almost finished it last week. DIY has a price of it's own! :giggle:)

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
When i got mine from https://www.diy-kitchens.com/ they had a sale on think it was 20% off

Paid by credit card just in case anything was wrong with the kitchen or the company went bust. Think paying that way added 3% to total cost
It is no longer permissible to charge to use a credit card, that must have been some time ago!

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Did mine myself about the same size all in about £5000
including plaster all appliances work tops tiles & flooring
Got the kitchen from https://www.diy-kitchens.com/
Not flat pack . All painted units.
We used these as well - brilliant company. Sorry you’re having such a problem with Wickes. If you can cancel and get your money back, go with Diy kitchens. They have a showroom you can go and look at everything. We bought the Altima doors and drawers in white high gloss. Beautiful.

Oh, and if you can cancel and start again - go with drawers as opposed to cupboards. Much better! Good luck.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We have been without a functioning kitchen at our home for 5 months now.
Paid over 1K initial deposit.
Slop builder's bucket for the kitchen waste.
Washing machine hose passed out of the kitchen window to wash our clothes.
Wickes by the way.
We still haven't got a start date either.

How long would you wait before cancelling ?
FYI
If you go to BENCHMARX ( google local outlet) their Kitchens are made in the same factory as the Wickes ones, and are cheaper than Wickes best ever sale price ( you can use your Wickes plan)
Has the Wickes one been delivered yet? That will be your next stress when they deliver 95% of it and you wait another 3 months for the 5%

Knob them off now and get your money back

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Just for some balance: I've had a largish kitchen fitted by Wickes last year. The job involved renewing large chunks of the floor, new electrical circuits, plastering, and so. Apart from disrupted timetables due to lockdown restrictions, everyone turned up on the promised dates, the standard of workmanship is excellent, the designer and the installer kept in touch and focused on service and quality. I paid a 10% deposit on order. I paid the fitter's additional costs (flooring, electrics, etc.) when he had finished. The rest is on interest free credit over 4 years, which didn't start until the designer and I had 'signed it off', some months after the bulk of the work had been done.

Perhaps it all depends on the performance of individual staff members.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back